Colorful, I have the best luck blending thick purees with my immersion blender by keeping it submerged all the way to the bottom of the pot and sorta "stirring" as I blend. Do NOT bring it to the surface while it's on (blending), it will splatter!! Also, blending in a tall, narrow container (like the one that probably came with it) or a plastic juice pitcher works really well for smaller batches.
It does take practice to not splatter.
1. I blended strawberries into yogurt for my daughter.
2. Chopped a few nuts to go on top my cereal.
3. Blended flax and soymilk as an egg-replacer for cookies we were baking.
4. Blended the frozen-solid chunk of orange juice concentrate with water to make juice.
5. Whizzed up some garlic-basil-'butter' for garlic bread.
6. Whizzed together a ginger-garlic-pineapple-teriyaki marinade/sauce for the tofu.
Granted, I don't use it this often EVERY day but that's a pretty good example...
Oh, and I found out tonight that our microwave's been broken since before Christmas and I never even knew. So, the delimma now is - either we get a new one (that we'll rarely use) or just do without (which my kids are a little skeptical about).