craving tuna! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-11-2003, 08:31 AM
Beginner

i have been totally been craving tuna fish latley and lost my yummy mock tuna recipe...anyone have a tried and true recipe they wouldn't mind sharing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-11-2003, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

mash up some cooked chickpeas, add a bit of mayo (regular or vegan, depending on what you eat) and mix it up real good.. i usually add relish too, but even without it it's awesome... really easy, too
#3 Old 08-11-2003, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Here's one of my recipes...

Tofu and White bean mock tuna salad...

1/2 LB of extra firm or nigari tofu.

1 can of cannelini beans drained and rinsed.

2 stalks of celery choped in small pieces

2T of finely chopped onion ( I like red onion)

Salt and Pepper to taste

1t of red wine vinegar

3T of Veganaise or Real Mayo

1. Wrap tofu in a clean dish towel or clean paper towels. Place on a plate with something heavy on top. (can of soup works well) Press for 30 minutes in the fridge.

2. Combine the rest of the ingrediants

3. Cube tofu and add to first mixture

4. Refridgerate overnight to let the flavors marry.

This is really good on a whole wheat pita with lettuce.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-11-2003, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Just to chime in with my useless opinion, I frigging hated tuna. . .at least out of the can. It tastes like cat-food smells.

ebola
#5 Old 08-11-2003, 03:40 PM
Beginner

i was never crazy about tuna (especially the smell) but I am sure craving my mom's tuna salad, and it's been a good 10 years at least since I've had that! I guess that's what being pregnant does to ya! lol!
#6 Old 08-11-2003, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Tuna Fish is one of the things I missed most when I stopped eating meat. I got this recipe from my vegan friend, and it really helped me stop missing real tuna:

Gently pat 1 square of firm tofu with a paper towel to remove some water. Break into approx 4 pieces and place in a ziploc-type bag and freeze overnight. Defrost either in the refrigerator or microwave. If you microwave it be careful not to put it in for too long....a few little ice chunks are okay. Squeeze out as much excess water as you can, and break into little crumbles. Chop 1 scallion as small as you can. Peel and dice one granny smith apple. Mix the scallion & apple with the tofu. In a separate bowl mix:

Veganaise (approx 1/4 jar - more if you prefer..I like it "wet" so I probably use about 1/2 a jar)

2 teaspons tamari (low sodium style)

1 teaspoon lemon juice

2 teaspoons kelp powder

Mix these ingredients together and stir into the tofu mixture.
#7 Old 08-11-2003, 08:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Have you tried Tuno? It smells just like tuna to me. Can't vouch for the flavor, but I know people who love the stuff.
#8 Old 08-12-2003, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by vegankittykat

Defrost either in the refrigerator or microwave. If you microwave it be careful not to put it in for too long....a few little ice chunks are okay.

I forgot to mention to put a bunch of paper towels underneath the tofu when microwaving it to absorb the water.
#9 Old 08-12-2003, 03:05 PM

I second the chickpea vote! I mash them with a little vegannaise and chop some red onions, and sprinkle on a little Nutritional yeast. Yummers.
#10 Old 08-12-2003, 03:22 PM
Rie
Veggie Regular

I tried Tuno for the first time on Sunday, and almost threw up. NOT a good product in my opinion, although, as said earlier, some people swear by it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page