what foods can be taken on a plane and across the border? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm going to Hawaii in February for 10 days. i live in Canada. anyway we're staying at a condo with a full kitchen so we don't have to eat out every day, but i've heard it's expensive to buy groceries there because of having to ship everything from the mainland plus it's a tourist area so they can overcharge on things if they want to

but a travel agent suggested that we can bring some items from home in our checked baggage to save some cash. i assume no perishables like bread or fruits, veggies etc. i'll stick with sealed nonperishables for sure but i'm not sure if there's anything specific i should take or avoid taking. there's a website that tells you what items you can and can't bring on board but it doesn't list specific food items or stuff like detergent. we have a washer and dryer in the condo so i figured it might be a good idea to bring detergent with us but i don't want to pack anything that might cause a problem going through security and customs.

anyone have any tips?

also anyone know what i can safely bring on board in my carry-on for food? i can pretty much guarantee i won't be able to eat anything on the plane or in the airports, it's a 10 hour flight with 2 stops. if i can bring enough food with me to avoid the hassle of trying to find something vegan along the way that'd be great but i'm not sure what's allowed and what will get confiscated. i imagine a few clif bars in my purse won't be a problem but i can't survive on just those

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-01-2007, 10:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I know when traveling across the border I have taken cereals, granola bars, soups, instant oatmeal and other processed items, as well as dried fruits, nuts and seeds.

I don't think they let you bring in any fresh fruits or vegetables into the country, but you could eat them on the plane (you could make a wrap, sandwich or salad to bring with you).

WonderRandy is in Hawaii so he may be able to give you some more specific advice about foods on the islands.

Have fun!!!!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#3 Old 01-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Where are the two stops? Many airports are surprisingly veg*n-friendly, so you may be able to find something you can purchase, if you're laid over for long enough.

Anything packaged tends to be alright, but fresh fruit/veg generally can't be taken over the border. That being said, generally your purse won't be searched, so you ought to be fine bringing a sandwich to eat on the plane, with a few granola bars and some dried fruit to supplement? Packaged smoothies with an ice pack ought to be fine as well.

Buying staples in Hawaii didn't seem TERRIBLY expensive when we were there last year, but supermarkets definitely do capitalise on tourism. Even 'local' fruits (ie. pineapples) are more expensive there than they are at home. I saw the greatest differences in produce prices; bakery items, cereal etc seemed fairly standard as far as I remember?

Cereal (especially oats, etc), dried soups, granola bars, dried fruits and trail mix, spices? Dried beans & grains, etc all ought to be fine to bring in your bags.

I'll leave the rest up to someone else. ;D Have a fun trip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-01-2007, 11:53 PM
Veggie Regular

i am not sure about the flight, but the only thing you cannot take into the states from canada is citrus fruit and sometimes plants.

all other fruits and veggies are fine. however, this is for travelling by car. i live just by the border, and for this, i am certain.
#5 Old 01-02-2007, 12:44 AM
Veggie Regular

hmm if the prices aren't that bad maybe i'll just pack what i'll use when i get there and the next morning before we hit the grocery store and not worry about the rest. i don't want to weigh my luggage down too much on the one hand, but on the other hand i don't plan on bringing a lot of clothes since we have laundry there free to use, and our suitcase is huge so we'll have lots of room for souvenirs and stuff on the way back. so bringing food shouldn't make my suitcase too heavy as long as we use it all up before we come home lol

well thanks guys. just one more of many things to think about

~Miyavi "Torture"
#6 Old 01-02-2007, 03:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Your purse will go through the x-ray scanner. I'm not sure what Keelin was talking about (mentioning your purse wouldn't be searched). It will.

Keep in mind according to the US Customs website
Quote:
Failure to declare all food products can result in civil penalties

Here is a link to what customs says is permissible: http://help.customs.gov/cgi-bin/cust...i=&p_topview=1

Here is another page that's relavent from the Customs website:

Quote:

Many products grown in Canada or Mexico are allowed to enter the United States. This includes most vegetables and many fruits; however, seed potatoes from Canada currently require a permit.

APHIS-PPQ Permit Unit, U.S. Department of Agriculture, can provide information about import requirements and permits for plants, plant parts, fruits, vegetables, and other agricultural items. Call the unit at 301-734-8645, or visit the Web at Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service ( APHIS ) .

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/cl..._prod_inus.xml

I also found this in a google search

Quote:
You cannot freely bring some fresh fruits (and various plants) into or from Hawaii. If you do bring or leave with something agricultural, you'll need to check it through agriculture inspection at the airport. Depending on what it is, it may take it from you. In general, anything sweet or fruity, or with soil, cannot leave Hawaii, except if pre-packed and stamped "agricultural inspected" such as pineapples available from some stores on Kauai. Prepared foods are not a problem. You can bring flowers from Hawaii if they are properly cleaned (with soapy water) and properly packed in a taped box. Visitors from Canada may bring back almost anykind of fruits and vegetables, but if they want to bring back roots and cuttings they should consult if Agriculture Canada.

#7 Old 01-02-2007, 07:52 AM
Veggie Regular

agreed with above.

in the US they will search anything and everything you have with you. first it will go thru the scanner and if anything looks suspicious they will search it.

as far as carry on--i recommend not bringing anything and buying whatever you need in the airport. it sucks but it's better than bringing something and having it thrown away.

here is a link to the TSA site, which contains the most up to date info.
#8 Old 01-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular

snowglobes lol

thanks for the info guys.

it looks like most of what i would be bringing is allowed in checked baggage

the stops are in minneapolis and seattle (though i think the agent said that in seattle we don't actually get off the plain)

the most interesting part of this flight will be seeing how long my mother can last without a smoke before she goes crazy. she said she's going to get some gum or the patch or something so hopefully that will help. otherwise it'll be a messy 10 hours

~Miyavi "Torture"
#9 Old 01-03-2007, 11:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I just flew (only within the US) and I brought candy, granola bars, cookies, nuts, crackers and several large sandwiches in my purse. All went thru security just fine, though I did make a point of telling them I had them.

No liquids (including juice, water, yogurt or cosmetic type things) of course in your carry-on.

Seattle has numerous vegan choices at the airport if you're getting off the plane there and not stuck out in one of the sattelite terminals. I can't remember if you're vegan/vegetarian or if there's allergies or other limitations you might have.

My parents have travelled to Europe, Mexico and Canada and packed fresh herbs and veggies in their packed luggage (they bring their own organic produce from their garden, mostly beets, carrots, turnips and stuff!) and they've never had it removed... or questioned.

They have also travelled with several church mission outreach groups where the entire group was vegetarian and packing along most all their own food, (all prepackaged or canned or boxed items) and they were allowed to bring these through as well with no questions.

I think personally they were just lucky and they aren't exactly the same situations as yours, but I also think as long as it's not fresh produce, you are probably fine.

But, bottom line....Hawaii? I think I'd have to worry about cost too, I understand that, but all the same, it's a chance of a lifetime and I'd go nuts on all the exotic, yummy fresh produce I would be able to enjoy too.
#10 Old 01-03-2007, 11:43 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm vegan. the itinerary says there is food for purchase on the flight, wtf? they expect you to sit for 10 hours and have to pay to eat? on a flight that long they should legally have to provide food. it's not like they don't charge enough to begin with. probably cost $20 for a sandwich and you probably get to choose between ham or tuna. bah.

i'll probably bring a couple of sandwiches and some fruitcups and bars of some sort.

as far as i know in seattle we do not get off the plane, only in minneapolis where we get i think an hour and a half before the next takeoff, so should be enough time to use a real bathroom and maybe grab something real quick but our choices are probably mcdonalds or... mcdonalds, if it's anything like newark was when i was there a few years ago

~Miyavi "Torture"
#11 Old 01-04-2007, 12:29 AM
Veggie Regular

If the fruitcup has liquid or juice of any kind it won't go thru security.

Yes, they CAN and do get away with charging for food on the plane. Sucks big time.

Bring your own food like sandwiches, trail mix, Clif-Bars or "jerky" or similar, there should be plenty of free beverages on the plane like cranberry, orange, vegetable and apple juices.

Surprisingly, most airports have some sort of Chinese/Teriyaki/Asian-influenced place tucked away in some corner and there's usually some sort of vegetable and likely vegan-friendly option available there.

As far as the specific airport - I've been thru MSP (minneapolis) a bunch of times, the last about a year ago and I seem to recall they had a grilled portabello mushroom wrap-sandwich thingy at Caribou Coffee (there's a couple of those in the airport, they also have soymilk for your coffee, ask for no mayo on the sandwich, I think I got it with oil and vinegar?), my daughter got a yummy looking veggie pita (don't remember if it was vegan since she will eat cheese on occassion) at Malibu Sal’s (or Al's or ??). Also there's a place called Maui Taco that has several veggie burrito and Taco options - all that you can ask for with no cheese (and they don't use lard in the beans or tortillas).

Hopefully you're near one of these when you have your stop, and time enough to find something that suits you.

Good LUCK!
#12 Old 01-04-2007, 02:50 AM
Veggie Regular

LF, what Trueveggie14 said about agricultural products is very true. Hawaii is very uptight about fresh fruits, veggies, and flowers coming in or out of the state.

As for the grocery stores, yeah they CAN be expensive, especially near the resorts. and some things are wildly more expensive here: anything frozen or refrigerated. Be glad you don't drink milk, cuz it's outrageous. The trick is to buy local produce at the Farmer's Market. Ask around when you get there, and they'll hook you up with the best local markets (I don't know Maui well enough to give you any advice on that one).

Nec Aspera Terrent
#13 Old 01-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, you definitely can't take fruit on the plane. I remember when I was going through security on my way out of Maui, they had a collection of apples and oranges, which apparently had been confiscated. I don't know about other types of food. I had coffee and sugar in my checked luggage when I left, but that's the only food I had with me.

As far as airports, I've gotten a vegetarian sandwich before (it had cheese on it, so wasn't vegan), but other than that I haven't noticed any vegan selections anywhere. When I flew to Hawaii a meal was included on the flight. I had pasta, which may have been vegan, but I think it probably had cheese on it.

I also agree that groceries can be expensive, but I don't recall them being outrageously so. If you go to Foodland, I think, you might be able to get a Maika'i card, which will give you discounts on some things, just like a Kroger card. I'm not sure about the requirements for getting one, but it couldn't hurt to ask. I think I just asked for one and don't recall ever filling anything out. Just pretend that you live there.

If you're looking for a health food store, I know there's one in Paia called Mana Foods, although, you're probably staying in the Kihei area, so that may be a little far away. It's worth going to Paia anyway, in my opinion. That was my favorite town and has all the best restaurants, again in my opinion. I wasn't veg*n when I lived there though, so I can't say how vegan friendly they are, but there was a vegetarian, possibly vegan, restaurant there called Fresh Mint. I think it was Vietnamese. Anyway, Paia's about four miles from Kahului on Hana Highway.
#14 Old 01-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I recently flew, and fruit salad was available at every airport where we went. Airports can surprise you with the amount of different restaurants they have.
#15 Old 01-05-2007, 01:08 AM
Banned

You can bring empty water bottles onto the plane, and fill it with their water.

I got that one from a stewardess on a flight I was on this past summer.

I heard (not from a guaranteed source) you can bring bottled water on the plane WITHOUT the cap.
#16 Old 01-05-2007, 01:54 AM
Veggie Regular

what obladi said about the Maikai card is right. Just like a safeway card. They use them at FoodLand and Sack-and-Save. and yeah, just ask for one and they'll give you a paper temp card and the form for a real card that they mail to you later (you won't need it).

Nec Aspera Terrent
#17 Old 01-05-2007, 02:40 AM
Veggie Regular

sweet i'll have to remember to ask for that card. i also downloaded some discount card that's supposed to get me deals at all different types of places throughout all the islands, i'm not sure where i put it lol.

i went to the websites listed in the hawaii forum here and found a listing of vegan friendly places, i wrote them all down along with addresses. we're there for 10 days, even if i don't get to visit a vegan restaurant or a health food store while the family is here, when they leave after their 5 days i still have 5 more days to go check those places out. hubby will be more than glad to go with me i'm sure, he's pretty good about stuff like that. he's just happy when i have easy food options since it happens so rarely lol.

maybe i will contact the airline and find out what foods are available on the flight. better yet i'll get my agent to do it. i'm sure she'll find a way to goof it up, should be interesting to see

~Miyavi "Torture"
#18 Old 01-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

You should be able to request something vegan. The nuts they now give out are vegan and safe to eat.

I really hate the new liquids rule. I hate checking my luggage in so I ended up putting all my shampoo and stuff in little 3oz containers and after all that, the person checking my stuff at security made a big deal about that my ziplock bag wasn't exactly right size. They gave me a proper one but it just seemed so dumb.

This was just this past Novemeber.

Also, I was under the impression that you were not allow to bring any food past the security point but if you wanted food to bring on the plane, it had to be something you acquired after the security checkpoint. No empty water bottle either they told us (unless they are under 3 oz - ha ha!).

I ended up buying some bottled water after the checkpoint because god knows, the airline won't give you enough to drink. And some nuts at one of the shops.

We ended up taking a lot of food back home with us but had to check the luggage in. We had wine and all sort of non-perishable.
#19 Old 01-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmmmm.... interesting.

I brought all sorts of opened food containers thru security and on the plane, just nothing "soupy" or liquid-y.

The new "no liquids" rule didn't bother me, (heck, if it makes flying safer, I am just fine with it!) and they gave me plenty of water on the plane, refiling my waterbottle twice.

I brought along Trail mix, cookies, sandwiches, salad in a cardboard Chinese take-out box, and other stuff I mentioned in the post above and it was all just looked at briefly and waved through...

This was thru Seattle which supposedly has some of the toughest security screeners in the US - but each airport will be slightly different so there's no way to know absolutely for sure.
#20 Old 01-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Hmmmm.... interesting.

I brought all sorts of opened food containers thru security and on the plane, just nothing "soupy" or liquid-y.

The new "no liquids" rule didn't bother me, (heck, if it makes flying safer, I am just fine with it!) and they gave me plenty of water on the plane, refiling my waterbottle twice.

I brought along Trail mix, cookies, sandwiches, salad in a cardboard Chinese take-out box, and other stuff I mentioned in the post above and it was all just looked at briefly and waved through...

This was thru Seattle which supposedly has some of the toughest security screeners in the US - but each airport will be slightly different so there's no way to know absolutely for sure.

when did you travel? was this just recently? Hmm. I think it was because we had perishable foods like apples and my bf wanted to bring a big smoothie. But the girl at security told me no empty liquid containers - meaning water bottles.

We followed this:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...-items.shtm#10

I think I'll just check in next time..Too much hassle.
#21 Old 01-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I had an apple, a kiwi fruit and some strawberries when I flew this past October. Sandwiches and stuff just this January 2nd. No smoothie though. I can see that being a "no-no" as that would definitely be a "liquid".
#22 Old 01-06-2007, 05:14 AM
Veggie Regular

re: liquids - You CAN take them on the plane, you just can't take them in your cabin luggage through security. That is, you have to buy it after you get through the screening, at one of the shops.

I've flown many many times with fruit, including several since the new regulations and have never been stopped, but the possibility is there I suppose. When I came back from Spain a few weeks ago, I had picked an orange and walked through customs with it in the mesh (visible) part of my backpack, since I had forgotten about it being there.

That said, I remember the MSP airport being pretty veg friendly. I haven't been there since I was a full-fledged vegan though. I flew threw there several times when I was veg though, as they're a hub for Northwest.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#23 Old 01-13-2007, 02:35 AM
Beginner

I have not flown in years, but I know tropical fruit and vegetables are red flags for immigration. Depending on the knowledge of the particular immigration officer who inspects you and on the tropical fruit/vegetable you bring, you may or may not have a problem. An immigration officer almost confiscated my precious plantations, but seemed to have forgotten I mentioned them in the mix of all the other questions she was asking me. You will not have problems with nonperishable food items.
#24 Old 01-13-2007, 02:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Like I said before... Hawaii screens your luggage for fruits and vegetables. There is a USDA check station at every airport to make sure no undeclared produce goes in or out. They are VERY uptight about not disturbing the very delicately balanced ecosystems here. When stuff does leak through, there can be disastrous consequences. Invasive species can wreak havoc on our ecosystems. Please check with the airline directly to see what can be brought and what cannot.

Hawaii is different than the rest of the world.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#25 Old 01-14-2007, 12:06 AM
Banned

How about edible snakes?

ebola
#26 Old 01-14-2007, 12:57 AM
Veggie Regular

lol

I mean...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#27 Old 01-14-2007, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

If the snakes didn't contain any liquid, then they're okay, yes?

(but not vegan)

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page