What's your kryptonite? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 01-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never had any major craving issue, I love love love the food I make and eat as a vegan. But...if I HAD to name one (er, make that two) they would be nostalgic throwbacks to childhood:

1. My family usually ate healthy, but once in a blue moon we'd eat grilled cheese sandwiches: white bread, margarine, a Kraft single.

2. On Christmas mornings we used to eat big homemade cinnamon buns...TRES non-vegan, though if I could find the recipe I'm sure I could veganize it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 01-02-2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

I assumed he meant Krypton had 36 protons. I remember Krypton from chemistry class but not well enough to know how it's atomic weight and number by heart.

Oh, and "hahahahaha" Troub.

I had to google it...

I was never a big meat lover and don't miss any overtly meaty foods, but sometimes I miss things like french onion soup or matzoh ball soup - usually made with beef/chicken broth, and I haven't found a satisfying veg version. Also, bacon still smells good to me sometimes although at the same time it grosses me out...
#33 Old 01-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Veggie Regular

REAL alfredo sauce and that Mertz Port Wine Cheese spread. (not together).

I make a pretty decent vegan alfredo sauce but nothing is like the real thick tangy stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 01-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

The only time I'm tempted is when I'm hungry, I'm at someone else's house (someone I don't know well enough to say, "I'm really hungry. Is it OK if I make myself some peanut butter toast?) and there's food around that I can't or am not willing to eat. I find a lot of the time all the veg foods are sweet, which is no good for my low blood sugar. I avoid this by bringing something savoury most places I go.
#35 Old 01-04-2007, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

In no order:

Steamed clams

Salmon with melted butter for dipping

My grandfathers beef jerky

Cheese on pizza

Carl's Jr. Spicy Chicken Sandwiches

Arby's Roast Beef Sandwiches

Kraft Man n' Cheese
#36 Old 01-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymps View Post

In no order:

Kraft Man n' Cheese

Where do you buy that
#37 Old 01-04-2007, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Chik-Fil-A- it's not the chicken itself, it's the way it's breaded, seasoned and pressure-fried. The only sub I've been able to come up with is Quorn patties with Chik-Fil-A Polynesian sauce, and it's SOOOO not the same.

For a while I missed tuna sandwiches (especially from Antone's), but then one day I broke down and ATE one (see the Slipup Confessional) and let me tell you, it's NOT worth it. A few hours of dead fish taste lingering in your mouth will cure that craving in a hurry.

My mom's chicken enchiladas-- we could probably do a veggie version of these if we worked at it; I just haven't asked her to try it. They might even be veganizable but you'd definitely have to skip the huge layer of melted Jack cheese on top.
#38 Old 01-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Cheese
#39 Old 01-04-2007, 11:11 PM
Beginner

Yogurt! Soy yogurt just isn't the same & I can't even find it where I go to uni...
#40 Old 01-05-2007, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll second the shrimp. Lately, especially, I've really been missing it. Oh well.
#41 Old 01-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nori_roll View Post

Yogurt! Soy yogurt just isn't the same & I can't even find it where I go to uni...

I know, all the soy yogurts I've tried just haven't been quite right. The Silk kind tasted the same way that dirt smells if you know what I mean.
#42 Old 01-05-2007, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Stonyfield Farm has a good soy yogurt. I mean it still doesn't taste like cow yogurt, but it tastes better than the other brands, imo.

I'd say my kryptonite is Hooters chicken wings, and snow crab legs. I don't have bad cravings or anything, just if I see someone eating them, I kinda miss them.

And dark British beer.
#43 Old 06-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calhoun07 View Post

I am just curious what food you left behind to become vegetarian/vegan still makes you have cravings for it? I can't say I have overwhelming cravings for this, but my kryptonite would probably be White Castle hamburgers.

Of course, I know some omnivores that would debate whether that's actually meat on those things in the first place...

I posted here a couple weeks ago that I was going to Minnesota for a week. While it was kind of difficult to find good places to eat at, I have to say that I did not once at all feel one craving for White Castles. We went to the Twin Cities and my mom had to stop and get a sack of 12 burgers and the smell didn't even do anything for me any more.

I was glad...it seems I am finally over any remote desire for anything remotely doing with meat. I just don't miss it.

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
#44 Old 06-18-2007, 07:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Non-veggie sushi. And blue cheese. That's pretty much it.
#45 Old 06-18-2007, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calhoun07 View Post

I posted here a couple weeks ago that I was going to Minnesota for a week. While it was kind of difficult to find good places to eat at, I have to say that I did not once at all feel one craving for White Castles. We went to the Twin Cities and my mom had to stop and get a sack of 12 burgers and the smell didn't even do anything for me any more.

I was glad...it seems I am finally over any remote desire for anything remotely doing with meat. I just don't miss it.

That's great. Cravings come and go, but usually they go.

mine would be Dairy Queen Blizzards.
#46 Old 06-18-2007, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Imported french cheese

I can't even go into that section of the store at Ralph's 'cuz they have free samples all over the place.
#47 Old 06-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Veggie Regular

smoked gouda

Oh, and big deli sandwiches on hoagie rolls - you know, with salami and fancy cheeses, sprouts, tomatoes, lettuce, etc., with Nacho Cheese or Cool Ranch doritos on the side. I used to LOVE that combo!

But I suppose I could make a good vegan substitute, now that I've discovered Tofurky Slices and Galaxy Vegan Mozarella slices - and I could eat Tim's Cascade Style Jalapeno Chips or Tings on the side... Now I'm making myself hungry!!

www.veganspoonful.com
#48 Old 06-18-2007, 01:26 PM
Beginner

Cheese pizza.......... veganrella just isn't the same!

I couldn't cheat even if I wanted to though... dairy gives me nasty stomach issues!
#49 Old 06-18-2007, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I truly miss bbq chicken and my mom's homemade meatballs (although I'm starting to get over the bbq chicken thing.)
#50 Old 06-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I miss moules frites.

Part of it is taste, part of it is because I grew up on the stuff.

*sigh*

Not gonna go back there though. It is one of the few things that even after 12 years of being veg*n I still miss terribly.
#51 Old 06-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Lately I've been missing dairy chocolate, so I brought several bars of dark orange choc, that sorted me out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page