soy and estrogen - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-19-2006, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I apologize if this has been asked before... I'm brand new

I've been hearing quite a bit about how soy is supposed to increase estrogen or something? I havent found a good source, it's just something that keeps coming up in conversation. I'm wondering if anyone can explain the connection, or lead me to a good source?

I just want to make sure that all this soy is safe for me. As well, I'm hoping that my acne clears up now that I am not going to consume dairy any more, and I dont want to replace it with something just as bad for acne.

I'm really kinda clueless on this one and could use some help.

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-20-2006, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

You might find this resolved in other similar threads I know to exist already, but possible scientific updates warrant asking again of course, plus the fact you are new et all.....
#3 Old 12-20-2006, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I was wanting to get around to some general investigation of soy at some point, as I know there are some negative claims about it. Probably should have its own thread. I'm new too, so I will look around first.

Just looking around on google, I saw that it is definately true that tofu has some estrogen compounds in it. But I didn't see much about what effect that might have, except that it might mess with the timing of menstrual periods.

Not much help, but try some googling.

Sort of off-subject, but Omega-3 oils are great for skin. Really helped with a rash of mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-20-2006, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I dont know what to think about soy. Im reading an ebook on acne that is pretty cool. He thinks soy is bad for health, not neccessarily for acne, but acne and overall health are related. I dont really think soy is bad personally. At least not for my body, and it doesnt seem to "cause" any acne in me..

(I do suffer from acne, but always have, long before soy)
#5 Old 12-20-2006, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

There's a big thread in "The Compost Heap" debating soy foods in general.
#6 Old 12-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

soy is generally only dangerous for you if you have or are likely to have hyperthyroidism.
#7 Old 12-20-2006, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

sorry to have posted a question thats been discussed already! I'm just getting used to this board

that stinks for me... i'm hyperthroid
#8 Old 12-20-2006, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

This is what I understand: Estrogen allegedly causes the "emasculization" of males usually starting with soy baby formula: lost libedo, low sperm count, breast development-- not sure about sterility. It is what men involved with sex change operations take to start growing breasts. Estrogen may cause early sexual development in females, as well as possible birth defects in fetuses of pregnant females. This info probably brought to you by animal testing. In nature, monster frogs as well have been linked to estrogens released by decomposing plastics. It allegedly can cause breast cancer or tumor development-- in fact since Doctors now discourage estrogen hormone replacement therapy for menopausal women, millions of women stopped taking HRT in 2003 rates of breast cancer have dropped dramatically 7%). That last bit was really the last nail in the coffin. Drug companies are pissed, of course, especially if they produced the pills. Their counter argument is that the women will eventually get cancer anyway. the baseline returns to normal within 5 years? -- so 2 years from now the doctors will be able to make another assessment.

I really dont consider it to be anti-soy propoganda. This stuff has been recorded for over a decade. I remember the 3 legged frog stories from 10 years ago, as well as girls reaching puberty at an earlier age. Soy is used as a filler in Omni food as well as cattle feed. I forget whether estrogen/soy is responsible for all the twins and multiple births or, if more female babies are born than males seeing that the "default" is female.

I believe I read somewhere that fermented soy products like Tempeh are not as bad as tofu. I think it is okay to eat some tofu and soy milk, but not to base your diet on it. I have cut my tofu soy use down by eating more beans and so on. I think that vegetarians become too dependent on soy and meat analogues. I never liked it anyway, so it is no hardship.

Oh, and I think acne is not caused by soy, or milk. It is caused by hormones. Testosterine, not estrogen, which both genders have in differing degrees, is responsible for acne. That is how they are able to stop acne by giving low dosage birth control pills (estrogen again). Dirt in pores and the degree you get the acne is up to your genetics. If your parents had it bad, you will probably not be very happy, and it is really not their fault either. The best defense is to keep clean to avoid infection.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page