How much water do you drink? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-18-2006, 10:54 PM

I have been a heavy water drinker for at least 10 years. I probably drink about 3/4 gallon a day. I only drink bottle water - Arrowhead. Are there better brands than others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-18-2006, 10:56 PM
Banned

between 1/2 to 5 gallons depending on what I'm doing.

I live in desert country.
#3 Old 12-18-2006, 11:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I drink around a gallon of tap water a day, unless I'm out of the house a lot. I'm addicted to liquids.

~Wondre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-18-2006, 11:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I typically drink maybe 2 glasses of water a day. I know, not enough. I'm trying to increase my water intake.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#5 Old 12-18-2006, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

2-3 32 oz bottles
#6 Old 12-18-2006, 11:40 PM
Banned

Mine varies, depending how much fresh produce I'm getting. I tend to drink less water when I get quite a bit from my food.

I'm not that picky. I hate wasting all that plastic, so I have two 2.5 gallon bottles, and one 1-gallon that I keep and I refill with those water refill machines at the grocery store. That water has no taste, and is 39 cents a gallon.
#7 Old 12-18-2006, 11:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I try something radical...I just drink when I am thirsty. I don't really measure how much water I drink, but it can vary depending on how thirsty I am.

I know...completely revolutionary!

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
#8 Old 12-19-2006, 12:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I try to drink 3/4 to a gallon a day.

For U.S residents, my advice is to check where the water in the bottles comes from, lots are from "municipal source", which means that it's the same as your tapwater
#9 Old 12-19-2006, 05:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Not enough! Sometimes I think I am part camel...I hate to drink anything, generally speaking, so I have to force myself to drink at least 2-3 bottles (1/2 liters) a day.
#10 Old 12-19-2006, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I drink about a gallon of water per day- and that doesn't include my morning tea.

I don't force it upon myself, my body actually requires it. If I go an hour or two without a glass of water my mouth feels dry and my tongue starts to feel swollen. I also get up on average of two times per night to drink 8oz or so of water.
#11 Old 12-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Veggie Regular

3/4 gallon to 1 gallon. I hate being thirsty.
#12 Old 12-19-2006, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I try to drink as much as possible...lately it's been about a half gallon, but I'm trying to drink even more!

I seem to be thirsty a lot anyway, so what better thing to do than to drink more water?!
#13 Old 12-19-2006, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Some bottled waters actually have additives in them! Read the labels.

If you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Lack of water can cause asthma attacks, and migraines.

I drink at least 8 glasses of filtered water daily. It's part of my preventive health regime.
#14 Old 12-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Beginner

I follow a diet which is salt-free, and very low in sodium, so I don't get as thirsty as those who eat a higher sodium diet. Also, I eat tons of fruits and vegetables, so my food has a high water content. As a result, the only time I feel the need to drink any water at all is when I'm getting some vigorous exercise, and working up a sweat.

The only time my mouth ever gets dry is if I let someone talk me into eating out at a restaurant against my better judgement. Restaurant food always seems to have way too much sodium in it. Then my mouth gets dry, and I want to drink lots of water. Otherwise, as long as I'm eating the amount of sodium that is naturally found in whole foods that contain no added salt, I do not get thirsty.
#15 Old 12-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I drink very little. Perhaps three to four glasses at most.
#16 Old 12-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Not enough. Usually only when I'm thirsty. I tried drinking 6-8 glasses for a couple of days but I just felt really bloated.
#17 Old 12-19-2006, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I was doing really well for a while on drinking water. I always had my huge water bottle(s) full. But lately, definitely not drinking enough.
#18 Old 12-19-2006, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular

3/4 - 1 gal a day. I live in humid country but still... But I always know when I've not had enough during the day b/c I'll wake up at night completely parched and have to guzzle 16 oz or so.
#19 Old 12-19-2006, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I have to wonder how people can afford to purchase that much bottled water - and I hate the waste of so much plastic as well. I think refilling large bottles from those refillable machines at the store would definitely be a better option if your tap water is unacceptable (and I am sure some places it can be).

I do use a filter on my tap, even though we get our water from a well and it's been checked (by whatever people check these things) and supposed to be very pure.

I don't keep real close track, but usually refill my 32 oz. bottle at least 3 times a day, ... (how many ounces in a gallon? wanders off to do the math)
#20 Old 12-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Veggie Regular

"I follow a diet which is salt-free, and very low in sodium,"

A salt free diet is very bad for you. Your cells require a certain amount of salt for maximum health. Read the excellent book called "Your Body's Many Cries for Water" for exact ratio of water to salt.
#21 Old 12-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I dont drink any liquids with meals (it dilutes your digestive juices) but basically I drink water constantly between meals. I dont usually drink anything else besides water, not including my green tea, green smoothies, and fiber shakes. LOL Im a health nut I know..but yeah..when Im working and at home on the comp and its not right before or right after Ive eaten, I pretty much am always sipping water. Im sure it comes out to around 7-8 glasses a day.
#22 Old 12-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Veggie Regular

i think i drink about 3 liters , that s not including green tea , about 5 cups so mabey alot!
#23 Old 12-21-2006, 08:26 PM
Veggie Regular

About the 'Municipal sources' - it's the same in Canada. Apparently, Dasani is Winnepeg city water. HA! I drink my tap water.

Also, I find that my body kind of adapts to how much I drink. If I drink a lot for awhile, then I need a lot. I'll get thirsty easily. And vice versa.

Right now, I'm breastfeeding a brand new veggie, and I drink water CONSTANTLY! probably 10-15 pint glasses a day?
#24 Old 12-22-2006, 08:47 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post

"I follow a diet which is salt-free, and very low in sodium,"

A salt free diet is very bad for you. Your cells require a certain amount of salt for maximum health. Read the excellent book called "Your Body's Many Cries for Water" for exact ratio of water to salt.

Actually, I do not feel a need to calculate a ratio of water to salt. I trust that the whole natural foods that I eat which naturally contain both water and sodium, would contain them in an appropriate balance. Foods in their natural state contain a symphony of nutrients that work synergistically in balance with each other to promote health. Further, there is simply no evidence that a vegan whole foods diet (devoid of any processed food) is nutritionally deficient in sodium, and that it would need to be supplemented with salt. On the contrary, when it comes to salt, the greater concern is with excess rather than deficiency. Excess salt consumption has been linked to high blood pressure and strokes. Because of the serious health concerns, the AMA (American Medical Association), released a statement to advise the public that they need to cut way back on their salt consumption.

Of particular concern to vegetarians is the fact that in populations where meat consumption has been relatively low and sodium consumption is high, such as Japan, the rate of hemmorhagic stroke has been much higher than in the U.S., where the most common strokes are ischemic. The explanation that has been given for this is that when the tiny capilaries of the head are clean of the plaque build up that comes from a high cholesterol meat and dairy diet, it is easier for them to bleed through from the high blood pressure which is caused by salt consumption.

In my own case, my body tried to tell me for a long time that I shouldn't be adding salt to my food. I always used to get debilitating PMS headaches every month like clockwork until I gave up the extra sodium. My doctor told me that on average it takes about 6 months of eating a totally clean whole foods low-sodium diet in order to cure yourself of these headaches. He was right too, because thats exactly how long it took. I am very thankful to him for teaching me this, and there is just no turning back for me at this point as far as diet goes, because I feel really good all the time and I know what it takes to stay that way!
#25 Old 12-22-2006, 10:31 AM

I don't drink nearly enough. I drink too much Coke (at work) and too much Lipton Iced Tea (at home)
#26 Old 12-26-2006, 06:11 PM

1/4 of a gallon. I know, that's bad...
#27 Old 12-27-2006, 08:15 PM

I use to drink mostly sodas but now I only drink water about 2 liters a day and I love it so much I feel like a nature goddess, lol

In fact when I go out with my friends and they are getting beers and other beverages I ask for bottles of water and they think I'm plain and boring but really it's awesome to me especially when you think about the gift that is and that it's one of the biggest ressource on the planet

Once a week I'll have iced tea or juice but that's it

#28 Old 12-28-2006, 12:21 AM

I'd guess somewhere between 48 and 80 oz. a day.
#29 Old 12-28-2006, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I drink a lot more at work than when I'm at home, probably because of all the talking and running around I do.

But I average probably 5 quarts of water a day.
#30 Old 12-29-2006, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't want to direct this reply towards any one person, but reading some of these responses I am rather concerned when I read about people who drink A LOT of water and can't go very long without being thirsty. Isn't that a sign of a diabetic? Granted, there are other symptoms, but it's something that would concern me if I were the one being constantly thirsty.

And for those who think they don't drink enough...you get more water than you think. Whenever you eat, you get water because there is a lot of water in the foods we eat.

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page