savory oatmeal? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

i always eat my "porridge" with fruit and sweet things , but im wondering can it be savory like add some nutritional yeast and veggies , does anyone have any recipies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-09-2006, 11:49 PM
Veggie Regular

when i was a kid, i always had oats with salt instead of sugar. since, i've been diagnosed with celiac disease, but i eat quinoa flakes with nutritional yeast and chopped veggies, with fresh herbs, or i add a scoop in things like chili and curries.
#3 Old 12-10-2006, 05:59 AM
Banned

I put a pinch of cinnamon and a couple of large splashes of tabasco sauce on my porridge in the morning at work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-11-2006, 12:35 AM
Veggie Regular

wow is it hot? how can you eat that lol?
#5 Old 12-11-2006, 01:55 AM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

Quote:
wow is that hot?

You get use to it. One time I bought some seaweed in a hot sauce. The first time I tried it I could hardly stand to eat a tiny bit of it. A few days latter I was eating it by the mouthful.

Oatmeal is sometimes used as an ingredient in savory bread so if you're into making bread you could use it that way.
#6 Old 12-11-2006, 03:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I am rather daring in my food and I have prepared a haggis like vegetarian dish using good oatmeal, herbs, vegetable broth and vegetarian hamburger. It tasted pretty good-- . I should probably work on "perfecting" the dish. You could use it as stuffing in peppers or tomatos. It might work.
#7 Old 12-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I like salt and nuts in my oatmeal. I usually do have some dried fruit for sweetness, but I bet it'd taste good if you switched that out for some veggies.
#8 Old 12-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

The traditional way to eat it in Scotland is with salt. I forgot that when I was given some in a Scottish hospital once - was expecting nice sweet porridge. Not a good experience...Though it wasn't bad, just unexpected...
#9 Old 12-11-2006, 09:44 PM

I haven't tried this but I found this recipe and some similar ideas by Googling "savory oatmeal"

http://boards.epicurious.com/thread....ssageID=335075

Funny, the search results also had a lot of recipes for dog biscuits!
#10 Old 12-12-2006, 03:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I've always eaten Malt-O-Meal with salt and nothing else. Never tried it with oatmeal though. I will now, as I do not like "meals" that are sweet.
#11 Old 12-13-2006, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

You know, you can make oat waffles with oats. You put 2/3 cup of raw cashews (unsalted/unroasted) in a blender, then add 1 cup of water and a tbsp of honey (if you eat it), then blend. Afterwards, stop the blender, then add 3 cups of dry rolled oats, and 3 cups of water slowly and keep blending. When done, make sure the batter is pourable, and either pour it into a waffle iron, or put on a skillet to make pancakes. These are all-natural, vegan, tasty, soft waffles/pancakes. They'll look grey though, but they're good. So basically, the ingredients are raw cashews, rolled oats, water, honey (optional) and that's it. Then, you can top them with whatever you like, hopefully all-natural stuff like raw peanut butter (just peanuts) or all-natural fruit spreads. Or plain i suppose.
#12 Old 01-12-2008, 01:55 PM

To let you know it always helps to cook the oatmeal with about 1/4 less water so it is drier and less soup like and add 2tsp salt before cooking. Once the oatmeal is made the sky is the limit!

I actually just tried this mexican version today (I live in a dorm room and this is the only things I had on hand and I have to eat! but it was pretty damn good!) Make a two person serving. Stir in One can of black beans (or can subsitute any other bean that can hold it's shape), half a cup of jalapenos, and a cup of mushrooms. Then season to taste with chili powder (i used about 2 tbsp) tumeric (1/2 tbsp) salt and pepper.

It was fantastic hot and even better once the flavors got a chance to meld together..HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!
#13 Old 01-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh my...I've never had it with anything other than sugar/fruit/non-dairy cream....I just can't imagine it savory!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page