holiday potluck...what to bring? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Just about everyone (with the exception of myself) at my work eats meat...and we're having a potluck here very soon. I know what *I* like to eat (and I tend to consume food that others may find unappetizing), but I want to make something everyone would enjoy. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-04-2006, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Pasta Salad! That is a fairly "normal" food that a lot of people like.
#3 Old 12-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Veggie Regular

what are the foods that you like to eat? the times i've made veg*n/raw food for others to try, i always have tried to make it look really pretty; have a nice presentation. if i'm by myself, i don't care, but for others i know it helps when the food LOOKS good that they wil lwant to try it.

pasta salad could work. you could add chopped red bell peppers and something green for a festive feel.

veg*n cookies/cupcakes/pies/fudge.

i made raw strawberry crepes last year and everyone loved them.

you could make a fruit tray. a veggie tray. last year, i made a big veggie tray. had all kinds of veggies on the bottom, then on top i put broccoli and grape tomatoes to make it look like a big wreath. you could make some awesome dips for both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

My meat loving omni hubby loves this its quick and easy too http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/printer...an_lasagna.htm
#5 Old 12-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I have worked in several omni groups at work. One of my post popular pot luck dishes was a quinoa casserole that I used to take. It can be made vegetarian if you use cheese or vegan if you skip the cheese (the way I prefer it.)

I'll post the recipe in the recipe section either tonight or tomorrow night.
#6 Old 12-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Mashed potatos and gravy casserole is my new potluck fav.
#7 Old 12-05-2006, 07:38 PM
Veggie Regular

These all sound good. I'm going to have a tough time deciding!

Mashed potatoes and gravy casserole?! I've never heard of that one! How does one make such a dish?

I'm intrigued to see what's in the quinoa casserole, asp3! Thanks (in advance) for posting the recipe.

The lasagne sounds yummy too! I don't think a fruit or veggie tray would be very popular. My fellow coworkers fear the healthy stuff.
#8 Old 12-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't really use a recipe, I sautee onions and mushrooms in vegan butter w/ sage, garlic, salt, pepper, etc. until the onions start to caramalize, then I add a bit of flour to make a roux, and then a small amount of broth so there is a very thick gravy. Then I top w/ garlic mashed potatoes which have a bit of vegan cream cheese in them in addition to all the other good stuff ("butter, "milk", etc.). If you're not vegan of course you don't have to use the vegan stuff. I bake it at about 350 until the potatoes begin to brown (If you pipe it into a casserole it makes a very pretty pattern).

It's very much like mashed potatoes and gravy, but travels way better. My boyfriend's parent's church of old conservative cow farmers/farmer's wives love it.
#9 Old 12-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't really use a recipe, I sautee onions and mushrooms in vegan butter w/ sage, garlic, salt, pepper, etc. until the onions start to caramalize, then I add a bit of flour to make a roux, and then a small amount of broth so there is a very thick gravy. Then I top w/ garlic mashed potatoes which have a bit of vegan cream cheese in them in addition to all the other good stuff ("butter, "milk", etc.). If you're not vegan of course you don't have to use the vegan stuff. I bake it at about 350 until the potatoes begin to brown (If you pipe it into a casserole it makes a very pretty pattern).

It's very much like mashed potatoes and gravy, but travels way better. My boyfriend's parent's church of old conservative cow farmers/farmer's wives love it.
#10 Old 12-05-2006, 10:34 PM

Ooooh, now I know what I'm making for my family's next holiday gathering, thebelovedtree. That sounds delicious and like just the thing to please everybody!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page