question about nutritional yeast - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-02-2006, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

i tried to make a "cheese" sauce with yeast flakes........i could taste that distinct "taste" it has and i hated it.........

so my question is........i have a ton of recipes that call for yeast, but i always leave it out even though i have it here.......does its flavor always peek thru in recipes? or is it masked? i am leary to put it in anything else for fear i will be able to taste it and get again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-02-2006, 08:35 AM
Veggie Regular

See now, I love the flavor. And it's very distinctive. But I've used it in gravies and such - where it's not the main flavor - and it seems to recede quite a bit.
#3 Old 12-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe use only half of what the recipe calls for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-02-2006, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I try not to use more than a couple tsp/person and I can't usually taste it. I agree with you on the flavor of yeast-based sauces
#5 Old 12-02-2006, 03:34 PM

Nutritional yeast is kind of like cilantro, either you like it or hate it.

Have you tried Jo Stephanik's Ultimate Uncheese book? Maybe there is a recipe in there that might please your palate....
#6 Old 12-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

It seems there's a love-hate thing with nutritional yeast, as someone else observed.

However, I also think there is a dramatic taste difference between brands, but since there's no accounting for individual tastes, I won't recommend which brand I prefer.

Here's what I tell people to do: Buy some Nutritional Yeast, and if, after several tries or recipes, you still don't like it, try another brand, you might be suprised. Or, you may find you don't care for it, regardless of brand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page