VeggieBoards banner

pesto

2K views 15 replies 16 participants last post by  mazikeen 
#1 ·
ive just disocered pesto! yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i think its right up there with hommus ! any who....... im wondering its vego right also does any one have any good recipies with pesto?????

mine:

one cup fettachini

sundried tomatos

1 tbs pesto

ground cashews

its delishious!!!!!!

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post

I eat pesto at least once a week, because we had a huge crop of basil this year. I make it with walnuts instead of pine nuts (cheaper), and just serve over pasta.
Ludi (or anyone else) - what's your recipe?

#6 ·
I make pesto for my pizza! I sort of cheat though, and buy frozen basil cubes. My recipe is:

In a small food processor combine:

10 frozen basil cubes (or say about half a cup of minced basil)

1.5 tbsp pureed garlic

1.5 tbsp nutritional yeast

1.5 tbsp ground almond

olive oil until it's the desired consistency

#7 ·
My absolute faaaavorite pesto-related recipes are from "Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen."

The best: eggplant pesto roll-ups.

You basically broil both sides of thin eggplant slices then roll them up with pesto inside and bake the roll ups for about 10 minutes. Get the recipe for more details...delish!!!

The pesto-stuffed shrooms from the book are pretty incredible too...as is the fresh gnocchi with pesto sauce!

#8 ·
My "lazy pesto" recipie:

few handfulls of basil (or loose spinich or loose parsely or mix of aforementioned)

small handfull of walnuts

1 garlic clove

glob of olive oil

salt & pepper to taste

tablespoon of lemon juice

Process in food processor or blender until pasty and tasty. Taste and adjust for preference.

Pour desired amount on hot steamy cooked pasta and enjoy the garlicky green goodness...

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialK12 View Post

ive just disocered pesto! yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i think its right up there with hommus ! any who....... im wondering its vego right also does any one have any good recipies with pesto?????
it IS really good isn't it?! If you're vegan, be aware that most pesto has parmesan cheese in it (and that parmesan usually contains animal rennet). But enough of the negative - that's awesome
Pesto is such a great way to make a relatively boring meal (plain pasta) into something

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by broccolichick View Post

I love pesto, but a) I don't have a food processor, b) most pre-made pesto isn't vegan c) most pesto contains nuts and I'm allergic.

I need vegan, nut-less pesto stat! So basically just basil and olive oil lol.
Just basil and olive oil, is still very good, especially to dip breads in. I really like chives w/olive oil too!

I can't wait to start growing basil this year again, so I can have pesto every week! This is my favorite pesto recipe, that I love so much, I don't care to try any others.

Pesto

Ingredients:

1 large bunch of basil (about 3 cups, loosly packed)

2-3 cloves garlic

6 Tbsp raw pine nuts or walnuts

3/4- 1 tsp salt, or to taste

6 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1/4 cup nutritional yeast (optional)

Preparation:

Place all ingredients except the olive oil and nutritional yeast into a food processor. Process to a finely ground consistency. Add olive oil and process again, until smooth and creamy. If desired, add nutritional yeast and process again until creamy. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

#16 ·
You can get a decent food processor for very cheap, and you can use it for tons of recipes! If you need crunchiness in your pesto, you could add sunflower seeds instead of nuts. So, use basil, sunflower seeds, garlic, and olive oil.

Alternatively, you could also do a green "sauce" based on the principles of making pesto. Here's one recipe, you can definitely play around with quantities and different herbs:

6 tbsps fresh parsley leaves

3 tbsps fresh mint leaves

1 tbsp mustard

2 tbsp olive oil

juice of 1/2 a lemon

Salt

Pepper

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and grind till smooth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.