Ideas to feed an Omni boyfriend? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-13-2006, 06:06 PM
Beginner

So I am a vegetarian and love ethnic foods as well as pseudo-meat products, but my omnivore boyfriend is a bit wary of tofu and traditional "veg*an" staples. He eats completely different from me, preferring fast food burgers and mexican food. I'm trying to find ways that I could cook for the both of us- he is supportive of my vegetarianism and is willing to *try* new things, but ideally we could find things that we would not only both eat, but things we could both enjoy.

I think finding ways to incorporate veg*an friendly foods with more traditional american dishes would be good, but really any suggestions are welcome because I know he is willing to be a bit openminded. Does anyone have any ideas/recipes/links that might help? What are your favorite foods that omni friends would enjoy as well?

Thanks!!

Edit: I just saw this thread (https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...d.php?t=60796), sorry for not noticing that first and please don't feel the need to repeat yourselves if you are annoyed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-13-2006, 06:43 PM
Veggie Regular

There's lots of Mexican dishes you could make! Bean burritos, quesadillas, tacos with refried beans or TVP, etc. Even just beans and rice with salsa could be appealing. Pasta with marinara or pasta salad, soups with a nice bread, meatless sandwiches, etc. might appeal to him. Opt for things that are accidentally meatless at first, instead of meat subs, tofu, etc.
#3 Old 11-13-2006, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

If your BF likes chili, you can make chili with Gimme Lean instead of actual beef. I swear neither of you will be able to tell the difference.

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-13-2006, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

My boyfriend is a hardcore meaty, and we get along fine making meals every single night together. Last night we made pizzas, with olives, artichokes, onions, corn, and mushrooms, and he bought pepperoni and cheese to add to his pizza. Tonight we made a pre-seasoned vege black beans and rice mix, I cooked up some frozen stir fry veggies and corn, and he's making himself some ground beef to mix into his. Like i mentioned in my examples, the way we always do it is we start out with our dishes being vegetarian and he just cooks up his own meat and adds it on his own. It works great for us, and my boyfriend is usually a big fast fooder too. But I've never met a person who prefers fast food over a home cooked meal... people traditionally just get fast food because it is was it's called, fast... but if you're not afraid of cooking, and if he's not afraid of veggies then there is no reason why it can't work.
#5 Old 11-13-2006, 10:07 PM
Beginner

You guys are so helpful! thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page