Vegan Biscuts...Fast Food Style? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

You know, like the kind from KFC or Mc Devils breakfast sandwiches? Does anyone know how to make these vegan? I've tried two different recipies, they both turned out nothing like I was looking for. The first was a basic biscut recipe in How It All Vegan...that was just gross. Very hard, bubbly, lumpy, flat, and unedible. The second, I just tried from vegweb...at least the name was promising...

Healthy Fast Food Biscuits

Ingredients:

3 cups unbleached flour

1 cup whole wheat flour

2 tsp. salt

2 Tbsp. Sucanat

6 tsp. baking powder

1 1/2 cups soy milk plus 2 Tbsp. white vinegar

6 Tbsp. canola oil

1 Tbsp. soy melted margarine, optional

Directions:

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add other ingredients. Stir until dough forms. Allow to sit for 30 minutes if time permits.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Roll out to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut into 12 biscuits using a biscuit cutter or a glass. Brush the tops with melted margarine, if desired.

Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 10 minutes or until browned. (Do not let biscuits touch.)

These biscuits are thick and are best used to "sandwich" other items. Scrambled tofu is a great filler!

Serves: 12

These looked horrible, more like cookies than bread, but actually tasted pretty good. However, they just weren't the white, fluffy, greasy biscuts I had in mind. Any help, ladies/gentlemen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-05-2003, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Before I was vegan I could make "fast food style biscuts" quite well. Basicly you have to soak the regular biscuts (like bisquick biscuts) in melted butter or garlic butter after they bake.

Heres some ideas for vegan versions

take a basic biscut recipe change milk to soy milk w a table spoon of vinger

instead of adding melted butter add melted vegan margirine or butter flavored vegtable shortening try adding a bit of garlic powder or other salty seasoning.

I haven't actualy tried it because I don't like eating alot of fat anymore. But I don't think you could get the same taste without it.
#3 Old 08-05-2003, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Before I was vegan I could make "fast food style biscuts" quite well. Basicly you have to soak the regular biscuts (like bisquick biscuts) in melted butter or garlic butter after they bake.

Heres some ideas for vegan versions

take a basic biscut recipe change milk to soy milk w/ a table spoon of vinger

instead of adding melted butter add melted vegan margirine or butter flavored vegtable shortening (were talking about half a cup for the whole recipe I mean you smother them in it) try adding a bit of garlic powder or other salty seasoning.

I haven't actualy tried it because I don't like eating alot of fat anymore. But I don't think you could get the same taste without it.

Other tips for fast food style: Dont use whole wheat flower at all. Use both baking powder and baking soda. (maybe use more powder if it is old or somthing)

Don't use whole wheat flower, use baking soda and baking powder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-06-2003, 01:55 PM

I used to make wonderful (at least they tasted wonderful) biscuits using Crisco or butter, white flour and buttermilk. Proud to say that I haven't done THAT in awhile. It is all the fat that makes those biscuits so yummy. Now and then I make some with unbleached flour or a combo with whole wheat pastry flour, Earth Balance margarine and soy milk with a little lemon in it. A food processor is great to distribute the margarine evenly. Bake in a really hot oven (450F) until just slightly browned. I also make a blueberry bread that has adapted well to good ingredients. It is a great comfort food right out of the oven or cold.
#5 Old 08-06-2003, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

My attempts at substituting soy milk for cow juice in biscuits have also been disappointing. My biscuits turned out as Eva-bo-beva described: flat and hard. There must be a trick to getting them light and fluffy.
#6 Old 08-06-2003, 02:37 PM
Veggie Regular

For flaky biscuits, you need fat that's solid at room temperature, i.e. saturated fat. Whether you get this through hydrogenation (is Crisco vegan?) or by using something that's naturally saturated (palm or coconut oil) doesn't matter.

I've never found using soy milk a problem: borealis, was the soymilk the only substitution you made or were you also substituting the type of fat? I've also made biscuits with water and they turned out fine.

As to the recipe, I just use the one in the joy of cooking. I'll try to look it up tonight.
#7 Old 08-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmmm... it was awhile back, I don't remember. I was probably using margarine. I'll try shortening next time. If Crisco isn't vegan, I'm sure I can find some shortening that is, even if I have to ask the co-op to special order it for me.
#8 Old 08-06-2003, 03:17 PM
Veggie Regular

i just made biscuits and gravy for my houseguests as part of a brunch. the recipe is very good, very rich, very fluffy.

3 cups unbleached white flour (you can use whole wheat, if you like, but it makes the biscuits denser and less fluffy)

6 tbsp earth balance margarine

3 tbsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

3 tbsp sugar (completely optional, i usually leave it out)

1 1/2 cups soy milk (i use homemade)

In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients with a wire whisk. Using a pastry blender or fork, cut in the margarine until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Quickly and lightly stir in the soy milk. Do not overmix.

Drop by tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the tops of the biscuits are browning slightly.

Makes 12-15 biscuits.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page