salad greens - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-02-2006, 07:18 AM

I've been vegan for a few months, vegetarian for a while before that. I'm never a big fan of salads, but especially not in the cooler months, simply because I'm always cold then and I like a nice hot meal. However, we're members of a local CSA and the box we get always contains a bag of salad greens. I've been eating them, dutifully and begrudgingly, but am now starting to wonder: how can I make this less of a chore?

In my pre-veg*n days, I made a delicious hot salad dressing with blue cheese and bacon, but that's obviously no longer an option. Does anyone have any good vegan recipes for hot salad dressings? I searched online but can only find recipes that get their flavor from animal fat or eggs or cheese.

If not a hot dressing, is there anything else I can do with salad greens? The only thing I can think of is putting them on a grilled cheese sandwich, but that probably wouldn't be so good without the cheese, and it would take weeks to eat them all that way! I'm growing a bit tired of them and don't want to stretch them out longer.

It's important to me to eat them, because I want to eat locally, seasonally, all that jazz, but I sure wouldn't mind if I could eat them AND enjoy them! Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Lucky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-02-2006, 09:01 PM
Beginner

If you have heads of lettuce you coudl try a grilled salad. Just cut the heads in half and grill one side(the flatter side) with a tiny bit of olive oil brushed on and then add on your favorite dressing. Maybe that'd be a good alternative to a hot salad? Or is that a hot salad?

Sorry i couldn't be more help.
#3 Old 11-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Grilled salads are delicious, but you do have to have a head of lettuce.

If you just have a bag of salad, I'm not sure what you could do....

With harty greens like spinach you can sautee them and that sort of thing.

You could also put some in a smoothie (wait, that's not hot either....)

I'm at a loss, but I feel your pain. I have a hard time eating cold veggies in the winter. I try to stick to spinach, kale, bok choi and swiss chard for dark leafy greens that can be steamed or sauteed in the winter.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-02-2006, 09:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Hello,

I've a few suggestions for you.

I used to always make 'hot salads', and sautee veggies in a nice sauce, and eat it over greens. It would slightly wilt them, and it tasted really good! I experiemented with many different sauces - basically, anything you like! My favourite combination was sauted veggies like eggplant, bell peppers, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, and so forth, with fresh italian herbs, and pureed raspberries as the dressing.

Another suggestion would be to steam them, in general, with spices. It just will taste like spinach.

When I make soups and stews, I add any greens I have in the fridge, basically, other than iceberg (which isn't ever in there, anyway)... But basically, anything will taste fine.

What 'tastes' do you like for your dressings? Do you like dijon, or spicy, or sweet, or curried type things? what about a warm Caesar?
#5 Old 11-07-2006, 07:25 AM

Thanks for these ideas. I don't know why I never just tried sauteeing them - I guess I was afraid something terrible would happen! Doing that, though, or adding them to soups (we eat a lot of those in the winter) is a great idea.

Thanks again.

Lucky

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page