The All-New Bottled Water Poll - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: How Often Do You Buy/Drink Bottled Water?
I buy/drink bottled water every day. 0 0%
I buy/drink bottled water a few times a week. 0 0%
I buy/drink bottled water a few times a month. 0 0%
I buy/drink bottled water a few times a year. 0 0%
I never buy/drink bottled water. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-25-2006, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Who buys/drinks bottled water? I do! I know it costs money, but the tap water in the building where I live tastes ICKY. I also like the convience of carrying a bottle of water with me to stay hydrated. I rarely drink any other kind of beverage, so I like being able to get bottled water. And yes, I DO recycle the plastic bottles. I buy way too many bottles to be willing to dump them all into a landfill.

By the way, stupid question: the label on the bottled water says DO NOT REFILL

Why is that? Is it so people will just keep buying new bottles of water? Or is there something in the plastic that will leach into the water if you keep the bottle too long? Wouldn't it make economic sense to just refill the bottle a couple of times? (ok, I guess that would be the answer to the first question).

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-25-2006, 02:08 PM

I buy bottled water occasionally. (Are we talking about single use bottles?) It's pretty expensive so I only buy it if I won't be able to drink water for awhile for some odd reason. I don't drink tap water, so I buy gallons.
#3 Old 10-25-2006, 02:09 PM

i almost never buy it- except when i have to- new airline regulations and such. I have a filter and a nalgene type bottle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah, sorry, I basically meant single use bottles, but I also buy water in gallon containers, mainly for emergency use.

#5 Old 10-25-2006, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I really need to replace my filter. so I've been buying cases of bottled water til I can find a replacement filter (mine's hard to find here)
#6 Old 10-25-2006, 02:16 PM
Banned

I have some individual sized bottles of water (Penta) in my fridge, I also have some bottles that I refill (Powerade type bottles) a few times before tossing. I have 2 1/2 gallon jugs that I take back to the store and refill from the water machine.
#7 Old 10-25-2006, 02:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I occasionally buy small bottles of water, but then I refill them from the tap to take with me. Otherwise I only buy bottled water at raves.
#8 Old 10-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I try to always carry a Nalgene bottle with me and I recently successfully lobbied my work to put in water filtration units. (They provide free bottled water, which I didn't want to drink, but the tap water is softened -- yuck.)
#9 Old 10-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Banned

i'll buy a bottle of water if i'm out somewhere and thirsty and already drank the water i bought with me- or more likely if my bf drank it all when i wan't looking *sigh* which happens too often, lol -i almost always bring a bottle of water with me from home if i go somewhere.

our tap water is icky too, but we have a big water jug with a replacable (every 3 months or so) charcoal based (i think) brita filter in it, that we fill from the tap, then keep in the fridge for nice cool unyucky water on demand

if i do buy a little bottle of water, i try and go with the most local one i can find, and i try and avoid water packaged by big brands like nestle and coke- if i can find more local small scale produced water, great.

currently i use plastic bottles for refilling, and haven't died yet from any possible leaching of chemicals, but if i add it to all the other carcanogens i'm no doubt in contact with on a daily basis, i probably will. if i come across a nice glass bottle, i'll definately consider swapping to it, lol.

I've also heard that bottled water isn't held to the same standards as the confusingly more icky tasting municipal water, so that steers me towards using filtered tap water- as well as the whole processing and plastic issue- but when i filter my water, i'm creating waste/using resources due to the charcoal filters and plastic casings in the filters too...ughhhh... the complexities of it all.
#10 Old 10-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Beginner

We buy crystals but it's only for school and/or traveling where a cup of water is inconvient. I usually refill it a couple times before dumping it into the recycling bin.

But in the house we have the large bottle water water despenser things. You know they give you like a 10 gallon jug of water and you put it on the base? Found in alot of offices. Lol I just don't know what they are called. Ours is crystal brand and i always drink that. And they take and reuse the bottles, you exchange the empty ones for new full ones. So it's not a bad way to get water.

They tell you not to refill it because they found that dangerous plastic chemicals leek into the water, i guess after the first use. I guess after the first use since they say that drinking the original water is ok?

I really want to find a site that'll gve you sources to check your water bottle companie. I know some companies say they have spring water but actually jsut filter tap water. I want someone to go into this and find what companies actually do this. I don't really truth the water bottle companies, since like stated water biottle companies don't have to follow the same standard.

If you have a filter make sure it has a filter for bacteria.

I'm thinking about getting one of the hiker water bottles that has a filter it the top/cap. So as you drink it's filtered out instead of prefiltering the water. More convient when your not home and you don't want to buy a bottle of water.
#11 Old 10-25-2006, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I never buy bottled water. I have a Brita water filter for home, and I also have a portable water bottle with a carrying case that I use for work/when I'm out for a while/etc.
#12 Old 10-25-2006, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I only drink bottled water if I'm at a friend's house where they don't drink the tap water (due to health concerns). I much prefer the taste of well water to bottled water and it's cheaper. I carry around a Nalgene, I've had it for almost two years and it's still serving me well.
#13 Old 10-25-2006, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

We have well water at home and it tastes like sulfur, so we buy the several gallon jugs of spring water to drink from there. I buy bottled water by the case for in my dorm. I don't like doing that because of the waste with all the plastic (there isn't a plastic recycling plant nearby, so it all goes in the trash), but the regular water tastes so bad I can't even cook with it.
#14 Old 10-25-2006, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

i generally drink only bottled water (unless i'm somewhere with decent well/tap water). i don't refill the bottles because they supposedly leech, but i try to drink from gallon jugs when i'm at home.
#15 Old 10-25-2006, 07:12 PM
Banned

I don't buy water bottles, but I drink "bottled" water from those 5 gallon carboy dispenser things at work every day. At home we use filtered water.
#16 Old 10-25-2006, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

portland is blessed with good tap water.
#17 Old 10-25-2006, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Lucky duck!

One time when I turned on the kitchen faucet, mulch-like pieces came out in the water. Almost like wood chips. It was gross and weird. What on earth is that, anyway?!

#18 Old 10-25-2006, 08:57 PM
Banned

Quote:

Oh yeah? Well in SoCal we get our perchlorate for free!
#19 Old 10-26-2006, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Our area is too.

I used to buy the 2.5 gallon jugs until I read "from a municipal source" on the lable. I'd never noticed that before in all the years I'd been buying the jugs.

Ever since, we fill our jugs from the tap and refrigerate it.

My husband buys the single-serve bottles and yes, he does reuse them (much to my chagrin). The ones that don't get reused, get recycled.
#20 Old 10-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

Lucky duck!

One time when I turned on the kitchen faucet, mulch-like pieces came out in the water. Almost like wood chips. It was gross and weird. What on earth is that, anyway?!

Bet it was rust flakes. I've gotten that at our previous house before. And you'll see it if you ever drain your hot water heater to clean out the sediment.

Our tap water is nasty. Not to mention I do NOT agree with the fluoride use but that's a whole 'nuther conversation.

So, we fill 'er up with the Glacier water from the store. That uses a multi-process to get good, clean, safe water that I like a whole lot. Not to mention it is only 29 cents per gallon. So, we fill up 4-five gallon jugs at a time. Lasts about 3 weeks.

Then, we use those super hard plastic water containers to lug round our water. This way I can also keep track of my water intake which is extra important since I'm still nursing. (On days where I do not track and forget, I usually don't drink what I should, and then, I, always, end up with a wicked headache or migraine.)

But to buy the individual use bottles from the store or convenience store? Nah, rare.
#21 Old 10-26-2006, 08:39 PM
Veggie Regular

#22 Old 10-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Go UCD!

That's where I went to school... and trust me, the water there is nazzzzty. I used to call it chunky water... pour yourself a glass & marvel at the floaties.
#23 Old 10-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

Lucky duck!

I bet I could sell oak aged water for $10 a bottle.

But yeah, that ain't wood.
#24 Old 10-26-2006, 10:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I buy a bottle of mineral water (usually supermarket own brand/wahtevers on offer hehe) then refill it 'cause i spend most time in my bedroom so I dont have to keep going to the tap.

In my Uni house/area the tap water tastes good. at home in london its unbearable so have to filter it then only drinkable ice cold (me and my sister would get through at least 6 big bottles a day so not worth buying haha).

reminds me, earlier today my tapwater-bottle tasted unbearable so i binned it X( dunno wtf that was i can still taste it now!!

I cant believe i wrote that much on water...
#25 Old 10-26-2006, 10:25 PM

I only drink bottled water...imo the taste is better and it doesnt upset my stomach like tap water does...Some friends have a filter and i have drank filtered water in the past but for some reason it upsets my stomach and tastes funny...i am a bottled water junkie and take a bottle with me everywhere i go...i never refill the bottles...but always recycle.
#26 Old 10-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

on reuse:

http://ucce.ucdavis.edu/files/fileli...2019/10090.pdf

Thanks troub, that's the kind of information I was interested in!

#27 Old 10-27-2006, 07:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe those who drink many bottles per day should consider using refillable bottles. Have a look at this -

http://news.independent.co.uk/enviro...cle1129855.ece
#28 Old 10-27-2006, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't buy individual bottled water. But I've had spring water delivered to my house for the past 20 years. I have a water cooler that holds five gallon jugs. Everyone in my house drinks only this spring water including my animals. If I am out I always have my personal water bottle that I fill from my cooler. I don't like any bottled that I have tried from the store. I especially hate dansai and dannon.
#29 Old 10-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm amazed that I'm the only person to check the "I never buy/drink bottled water" option. I didn't know it was so common.
#30 Old 10-27-2006, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I buy it rarely, a few times a year.

I'm all about the Nalgenes.

This has stuck with me, from Mike Fay, who did a "MegaTransect" with National Geographic that I enjoyed reading about and seeing the documentary.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page