Eggplant - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-24-2006, 10:36 PM

Hello, I love eggplant and I am interested in learning some new ways to prepare it. I remember once using eggs to dip the eggplant (or whatever else) into a breading of some sort and put it in a pan and it tasted really good. I quit eating eggs quite a long time ago though and I don't know what else I could use to hold that breading on there. Other than of course, faux eggs which I am trying to avoid.

Also, is there any other tips you guys have on preparing eggplant ( squash, and zucchini while we are at it too). I have been munching on these three things a lot lately.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-25-2006, 07:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm thinking of making one of these recipes tonight: http://www.nandyala.org/mahanandi/ar...bles/eggplant/.
#3 Old 10-25-2006, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

eggplant parmesan is good (use nutritional yeast, tomato sauce, some bread crumbs, good herbs and spices), or eggplant lasagna. if you like mustard (die-hard fan, here), try coating your eggplant with that, then dipping in the crumbs... very delicious. curries are good with it... we just sometimes add herbs and spices and broil it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I thought this was going to be a thread all about how great I am, and I'm a bit disappointed.

My two favorite things to do with eggplant are ratatouille and baba ganouj. Ratatouille is like a stew with eggplant (of course), zucchini, tomatoes, and bell peppers that's good over pasta or couscous. Baba ganouj is a dip made with grilled, mashed eggplant and tahini. It should be easy to find a recipe for both by doing a search.
#5 Old 10-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Beginner

Eggplant is one of my favorite veggies, too. You can always roast it with olive oil and mint: slice an unpeeled eggplant lengthwise, cut in thirds, place eggplant pieces on a cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and roast at 400 degrees F. for about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, chop about a cup of fresh mint leaves. When you take the eggplant out of the oven, drain the oil into a small bowl and mix with the chopped mint. Spread the mint mixture over the eggplant before serving. (This recipe idea comes from the Mediterranean; more specifically, I think it is Turkish.)
#6 Old 10-25-2006, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

I thought this was going to be a thread all about how great I am, and I'm a bit disappointed.

My two favorite things to do with eggplant are ratatouille and baba ganouj. Ratatouille is like a stew with eggplant (of course), zucchini, tomatoes, and bell peppers that's good over pasta or couscous. Baba ganouj is a dip made with grilled, mashed eggplant and tahini. It should be easy to find a recipe for both by doing a search.

So did I. Either that or really bad news. Yay eggplant. Eggplant's the bomb.
#7 Old 10-25-2006, 09:43 PM
Veggie Regular

(*Waves to Eggplant.*)

To bread eggplant or other things (like "chicken" seitan chunks), I mix a little Vegenaise (or other vegan mayo.-type product) with a little soymilk to make a thick liquid. Dip your eggplant slices in this. Then in breadcrumbs, seasoned flour or whatever you want. Fry.

Works just like eggs.
#8 Old 10-26-2006, 08:16 AM
Beginner

Eggplant is also one of my favorite foods! To bread it, I generally dip it in soy milk, then in whole wheat flour (or white,) and then dip it back in the soy milk before dipping it in vegan bread crumbs mixed with spices and nutritional yeast. Very yummy...taste good baked or broiled when covered in tomato sauce and super-easy!

Also, just fyi, Celentano's makes vegan frozen eggplant parm that is fairly tasty! you may want to check it out...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page