Food that freezes well for the week - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-23-2006, 11:47 PM

I'm finding myself with less time during the week, and I'm hoping to find some good recipes that I can make on the weekend, then pack into a bunch of tupperware to reheat during the week. I'm hoping for something like rice/bean/enchiladas that I can just pop in the microwave, or something that will only require 5-10 minutes to prepare. I've only been vegan for a couple years, and even before I was vegan, I was pretty much a cereal and PB&J person, but I'm hoping to get some variety. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-24-2006, 05:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd have to say that right off the first thing that comes to mind would be cooked beans, then probably soups or chili's, then maybe some like pre-made burritos?

I mean, really you could cook & freeze just about anything, but I would think cooking a big pot of beans or soup & then freezing the rest would be easiest? What about a tofu lasagna or some type of casserol like dish?

I'm also a new vegan & am always looking for new ideas to help me with my meal planning throughout the week.

I'm sure you'll get alot more great ideas from others here, so I'll be watching this thread to see what other advice you get.

Good thread!!

Michelle
#3 Old 10-24-2006, 07:35 AM
Beginner

Beans and veggie burgers freeze well, as do most bean soups: my freezer is full of these two staples. A word of warning: frozen rice once defrosted turns into total mush. Not so good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-24-2006, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by surya View Post

Beans and veggie burgers freeze well, as do most bean soups: my freezer is full of these two staples. A word of warning: frozen rice once defrosted turns into total mush. Not so good!

What type of rice? I would think brown rice would hold it's shape a bit more??

Just curious, 'cause I've never tried to freeze already cooked rice but sometimes I pick up some burritos that have rice in them, and I've never noticed the rice being mushy, so I'm wondering if maybe it's the type of rice??

Thanks for the tip!

Michelle
#5 Old 10-24-2006, 09:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Seitan freezes well. I've made beefy seitan and mushroom gravy, thinly sliced the seitan and packed it with gravy in individual containers, then nuked a baked potato (less than 10 minutes) and served the seitan and gravy overtop.

If you're feeling reasonably ambitious, tamales filled with refried beans freeze well.
#6 Old 10-26-2006, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

soups are great. I make tomato or curried apple and parsnip or just a boring vegetable soup and freeze a whole bunch of portions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page