Yes, they are frying Coke. - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 10-18-2006, 11:47 AM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimra View Post

The only thing I wish they had at the fair is veggie corndogs. Mmmmmm.

We just had the Virgina State Fair, and the only thing I was confident was veggie were the giant dill pickles! I ate one, and immediately my shoes were two sizes too small!!!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 10-18-2006, 12:05 PM

Why are so many people getting offended at the obese american comment? Its not a stereotype; its the truth. Its not like he said anyone on here is obese or that anyone who eats fried food is obese. I think he merely meant that that food ideas like deep fried cola is a contributing factor to the already large percentage of obese americans. I'm american and I didn't take offense, I agree with it actually.
#33 Old 10-18-2006, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

North American doesn't equal American. There are Canadians and Mexicans to think of too. That said, he's still wrong about all of us being fat.. and just because one lives in Toronto, it doesn't necessarily make him Canadian (and thusly, north american.. Canada making up the bulk of North America, geographically you see).

Admittedly, the US and Mexico are at the top of the OECD list, but Canada is only about equal with the Czech Republic. That's less than half the rate of the US. It's also within 2.5% of Ireland, Germany, Portugual, Spain, Finland and Iceland.

So stuff it with the north america cracks. Even in the US, most people are not obese and those who are don't need to hear it any more than they already do. Since when do the food habits they exhibit in TEXAS of all places speak for an entire continent?

Though yes, fried coke sounds revolting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 10-18-2006, 01:26 PM

Gag....
#35 Old 10-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Jon View Post

Me thinks Americans doth protest too much about being obese.

And still no shadows.
#36 Old 10-18-2006, 02:39 PM
Banned

*slaps belly and dances*
#37 Old 10-18-2006, 02:59 PM

I'd try it.
#38 Old 10-19-2006, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

Let's trot out one from CJ's home country while we're at it:

http://www.canada.com/topics/bodyand...1acbdd&k=73029

That's why I said North America. In case you forgot Canada is in North America.
#39 Old 10-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm quite familiar with my geography, thank you.

I'm also quite familiar with people who say "North American" while meaning those specifically from USA.

Your post #25 verifies to me that you truely meant the latter and now you're back-peddling to try to pretend that's NOT what you mean at all.

Nice try but no dice.
#40 Old 10-21-2006, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

#41 Old 10-21-2006, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I keep reading this title thinking it's the other coke being fried.

now THAT'S a party favor.

#42 Old 10-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Beginner

While not all Americans are obese, it is an ever growing healthcare crisis in this country (60% of Americans are overweight or obese according to the CDC). I think that's what the OP was refering to, and he's right, things like this are just contributing more to the problem.
#43 Old 10-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, because no other country has deep-fried fattening food *cough*chinascotlandfrancejapanindia*cough*
#44 Old 10-21-2006, 08:10 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Yes, because no other country has deep-fried fattening food *cough*chinascotlandfrancejapanindia*cough*

Yes, but they don't have the obesity rates that we do. Of course, I just read an article that says they're quickly catching up to us, especially in the UK and Austraila. But even their obesity rates are now what ours were 10 years ago. I'm not saying it's just the fried foods but things like fried coke & twinkies don't help either.
#45 Old 10-21-2006, 08:30 PM
Banned

I really don't think you can blame current obesity levels on the existence of sugary fried food at the State Fair.
#46 Old 10-21-2006, 08:32 PM

America definitely does have a high obesity rate. The first step is admitting there's a problem. Food is an addiction.
#47 Old 10-21-2006, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura_I View Post

America definitely does have a high obesity rate. The first step is admitting there's a problem. Food is an addiction.

And it wasn't 20 years ago?

I'm thinking we have the same amount of food and more computers/tvs/video games. Heck, the food they ate in the 70s was less healthy than what we eat now. Kool-Aid, TV Dinners and potted meat.
#48 Old 10-21-2006, 08:45 PM
Veggie Regular

But a majority of Americans ate at home back then. We didn't used to eat out, as a country, like we do now. In a fine dining resturant you can consume as much as a bar of butter in one meal. People are generally more careful when they are cooking for themselves (although some could care less!) and wouldn't put a stick of butter in their dinner! Plus most people don't have deep fryers in their homes either.....

Of course you can be obese and eat at home too, I know. I'm just saying.... as a whole....
#49 Old 10-21-2006, 08:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I have to add. With eating out more and more people need to educate themselvs about nutrition. You can easily eat healthy while eating out if you just try.
#50 Old 10-21-2006, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

People sit around a lot more now, too. A LOT more.

And drive 1/2 mile to the store, instead of walking there.
#51 Old 10-21-2006, 10:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimra View Post

But a majority of Americans ate at home back then. We didn't used to eat out, as a country, like we do now. In a fine dining resturant you can consume as much as a bar of butter in one meal. People are generally more careful when they are cooking for themselves (although some could care less!) and wouldn't put a stick of butter in their dinner! Plus most people don't have deep fryers in their homes either.....

Of course you can be obese and eat at home too, I know. I'm just saying.... as a whole....

I used eat butter when I was a kid... and lemons too.
#52 Old 10-22-2006, 12:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenfire View Post

Yes, but they don't have the obesity rates that we do. Of course, I just read an article that says they're quickly catching up to us, especially in the UK and Austraila. But even their obesity rates are now what ours were 10 years ago. I'm not saying it's just the fried foods but things like fried coke & twinkies don't help either.

Keep in mind that obesity rates really do not tell the whole story. Part of the "alarming" increase of obesity in the US coincides with the changing of the standards. According to the BMI, I am borderline obese, although my apperance would indicate otherwise.

I might add that you mention Europe's obesity rates are that of the US 10 years ago, but they are increasing at a faster rate than the US. They will catch up soon enough, and then we can finally put this nonsense to bed.

I also agree with OA and Remilard - weight had much more to do with lifestyle than just food.
#53 Old 10-22-2006, 02:01 AM

That's it........they will fry anything!!!! Next thing you know, they will be frying XANAX!!!! or Vicodin, or Methadone.........just name the drug!!
#54 Old 10-23-2006, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienurse View Post

That's it........they will fry anything!!!! Next thing you know, they will be frying XANAX!!!! or Vicodin, or Methadone.........just name the drug!!

I laugh, but I know its true.......
#55 Old 10-23-2006, 08:40 PM
Banned

Fried corn on the cob = bestest food ever.
#56 Old 10-24-2006, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Must... resist... urge.... to.... deep fry..... corn on the cob....

Aw, crap Tame. NOW look what you've done. *runs like the wind to find her deep-fat fryer and her secret stash of corn on the cob*
#57 Old 10-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I like fried food but it does not like me. I hardly ever eat fried food but once I do, watch out! My body flips out and my stomach is messed up for about 2 days straight. Sometimes, it is just worth it though!

I cannot even imagine how fried corn tastes.....
#58 Old 10-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

I'm quite familiar with my geography, thank you.

I'm also quite familiar with people who say "North American" while meaning those specifically from USA.

Your post #25 verifies to me that you truely meant the latter and now you're back-peddling to try to pretend that's NOT what you mean at all.

Nice try but no dice.

Uhm, no. Post #25 was made because it seemed like only Americans were protesting the obese label.

Secondly, why would I try to back pedal? You think I am afraid of people here or I take back what I said? Cause I'm not and I don't.
#59 Old 10-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

You actually tracked the demographics of where the "protesters" were living so you could say "seemed like only Americans were protesting the obese lable"?

Wow. Just wow.
#60 Old 10-26-2006, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinegal View Post

I like fried food but it does not like me. I hardly ever eat fried food but once I do, watch out! My body flips out and my stomach is messed up for about 2 days straight. Sometimes, it is just worth it though!

You ever had your gall bladder checked out? I've had two friends over the years who had the same problem but they also had problems with their gall bladder... one actually had to have it removed due to gall stones.

JC and FWIW.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page