farmers' market! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-02-2003, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

We usually go to the farmers' market on Saturdays, and it is such a lovely experience I decided to start a thread on farmers' markets.

Who goes to them?

Who sells produce at them?

What do you sell?

What do you buy?

We got

*A bunch of lovely yellow summer squash

*Some vidalia onions

*Chanterelle mushrooms!

*Some kind of fresh beans, I can't remember what they are called, they look like pinto beans but lighter and bigger. Now we are not sure what to do with freshly shelled beans...

*I got a humongo bag of sweet corn for only one buck! They said it was "the dregs" but when you get to the market late, you take what you can get

When we got home, I took my "dregs" sweet corn outside to shuck it. Most of it turned out to be fine! Short ears, and some of it was buggy, but I got a whole lot of corn for a buck. There were only three ears that I decided not to bother with, leaving about 15 that were perfectly fine (but short) or had some bugginess to be cut off.

Slim the Cat ate some kernels of corn that escaped, along with some bugs. Cats eat corn!

Kirk shelled beans outside with me while I was shucking. It was nice.

Farmers' market! Yay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-02-2003, 03:57 PM

Kewl, Slim loooks just like Durn.

I haven't been to my Farmer's Market in a while, I need to go again. I have bought squash, eggplant and watermelon and they also have plants and bakery items, too.

Shannon
#3 Old 08-02-2003, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I love the farmer's market... Unfortunately, my city lacks a decent one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-02-2003, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I work a half block from the market. I usually go every day to pick up avocados, tomatoes and ginger for the cafe. fresh basil, thai basil, mint, zucchini, bell peppers, papayas, bananas, pineapple.... all find their way onto my shopping list...

spreading NESS fever,

WonderRandy

Nec Aspera Terrent
#5 Old 08-03-2003, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

When we lived in Santa Barbara, we went almost every Sat. We would buy tomatoes, corn, lettuce, apples, oranges, peaches, and all kinds of things. It was so great to be able to get out there and support the local organic farmers. Since moving down here, I haven't had time to look for one yet but it is fun to go to these things.
#6 Old 08-03-2003, 01:50 PM

I love to go to the West Side Market . I tend to stay outside in the produce rather than go inside where all the meat, cheese, and bakery stuff is. Years ago I worked inside at a Hungarian Bakery on the weekends around the holidays. I did it for the experience and to get from behind my desk. It was a wonderful experience. I loved meeting the people and being a part of the hustle and bustle. I can't really go inside though anymore because of the meat/blood smell. The produce is great though. You have to watch out for the vendors slipping you some not so fresh fruits/veggies at the bottom of your bag. There's a flower stand there too that has the most gorgeous flowers for cheap. In the summer there is an artists vendors open air market across the street. Lots of cool handmades. I like to ride my bike down sometimes if I don't plan on spending too much.
#7 Old 08-03-2003, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I enjoy them but I wish they weren't so darned expensive. We have a LOT around town but most of them don't sell organic produce. The ones that do are usually 2x more expensive than the hfs, which is ridiculous. I can't afford to spend $2.50 on a bunch of spinach, when I can get the same bunch for 99 cents at my hfs.
#8 Old 08-03-2003, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

We live not far away, there's a market on Sat and Wed. I love to go there, and soak up the atmosphere, but I never know how much money I will spend. Sometimes I buy nothing, sometimes I buy a lot of stuff. Depends on what is sold and how expensive (or better cheap) it is and how much $$$ I have.

Last Sat I got some plums, peaches, nectarines, grapes, tomatoes and sweet banana peppers
#9 Old 08-03-2003, 07:59 PM

The Market in my neighborhood is way cheaper for produce than the grocery store.
#10 Old 08-03-2003, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

We have somewhat of a farmer's market in our town - actually two, but it's the same store really. Most of the stuff is home grown, I believe...especially veggies, because I don't think Michigan is big on growing bananas, nectarines, etc But they have fresh cherries, strawberries, blueberries, tomatoes, veggies, etc. It is *so* much better than buying at the grocery stores, mainly due to atmosphere - it's small and friendly. Plus they use boxes that things were delivered in instead of bags. But I haven't been there in a week or so...my aunt gave us a whole bunch of zucchini she grew, so I haven't had to.

MsRuthieB - Love the sig!
#11 Old 08-03-2003, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Borealis we must have crossed paths!

I bought...

maple syrup

Green Beans

Peaches

Blackberries, that I promplty devoured upon washing

Cucumbers

I LOVE the farmers market!
#12 Old 08-03-2003, 08:52 PM
Banned

I think at our market it really depends on the item. We managed to score a quart and a half of fresh chanterelle mushrooms on Saturday for $4, something that you just can't get at the grocery. (Which usually just has week-old mass-produced button, portabella and shiitake.) Summer squash is also dirt cheap (but then again, why do you roll up your windows in rural Indiana in the summer time? Because you might come back and find it filled with Zucchini) and Organics tend to be cheaper and more reliable. Perhaps most importantly the Farmer's market is the only reliable place to get two of the handful of compensations for Indiana's summer humidity, fresh local sweet corn and tomatoes.

Other things tend to be more expensive. Potatoes for example are a bit more pricy, as were the first batch of geen beans.
#13 Old 08-04-2003, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

kirks,

LMAO at the zucchini comment! It's sooo true!
#14 Old 08-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

There are actually 3 farmer's markets near me. One is more targeted at tourists (it has fake mennonites, which are like Amish people and the prices are rather high). The one I mostly go to (that I went to on Saturday) is amazing. Zucchini were 25 cents each, a bunch of basil the size of a head of romaine lettuce was 1.25 (I made some kickass pesto) and about a pound of mushrooms was $1. The one thing I find is that buying things that are out of season or that don't grow here (southern Ontario, Canada) is a bad idea. I got 5 avocados last week, 2 of which were bad. I also got a bunch of tomatoes (they won't be in season for another month), several of which had icky spots.

Overall, though, I wish I had time to go every Saturday!
#15 Old 08-04-2003, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I recently moved house, and now live just a few blocks from the farmers market. It has become a Saturday morning ritual to walk over and stock up on things. It is expensive, but I don't mind much. The usual offerings are onions, squash, tomatoes, peppers, garlic, herbs, salad greens, carrots, potatoes, apples. One guy sells incredible oyster mushrooms. And lots of bedding plants (herbs and vegetables), which is neat.

I wish I didn't get bored with summer squash so easily.
#16 Old 08-04-2003, 09:13 PM
Veggie Regular

i want to go to a farmer's market Never been, I should look up on that
#17 Old 08-04-2003, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

we have farmers' markets in 4 different places around the city on Mondays Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Of course some are better than others, but they are all pretty cheap.

Lots of flowers, several organic farmers at each, lots of the normal things...and there is one guy at the one closest to me that sells the BESTEST corn at 6 ears for a buck.
#18 Old 08-05-2003, 04:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I have one downtown at the center in the square that I love to go to, because fresh always tastes better, I love supporting local farmers, and I get to visit my favorite vegan cafe downtown as well. I just went yesterday and got huge tomatoes, corn, broccoli, and nectarines.

I also have a great article about supporting farmer's markets that you all should read!

http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/food/449
#19 Old 08-05-2003, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I LOVE farmer's markets!!!!! There's one I go to during the week near my job, and another I go to on Saturday near where I live. I buy all sorts of things such as, sweet corn, basil, tomatoes, cilantro, onions, spinach, portabello mushrooms, leeks, sugar snap peas, bell peppers (all colors), potatoes, dill, green beans, melons, berries (all kinds), squash (all kinds) ...
#20 Old 07-09-2005, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Today at the Farmers' Market, I got:

6 beautiful little zuchinni

Green beans

Green tomatoes

Red and yellow tomatoes

New red potatoes

Leeks

2 bunches of italian parsley

1 bunch of spearmint

Gorgeous peaches

And a bar of handmade mint soap.

Yay market! I am going to make tabouli in a little while with my parsley and mint.
#21 Old 07-09-2005, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Are the chanterelles comparable in price to a market? Less? More expensive?
#22 Old 07-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

My mother and sister have a booth at our local Market, so my sister gets me a bunch of good veggies every week. Example: last week I got potatoes (red and regular), green beans, tomatoes, bell peppers (green, red, orange), corn on the cob, eggplants, zuchini, patipan squash and a lone banana pepper.

I love that I get all the yummy, organic food for free, and I love that almost as much as I love eating it.... I generally have trouble eating all of it before the next week's batch rolls in!
#23 Old 07-09-2005, 03:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I almost got some pattypan squash, but then I saw a friend of mine selling zuchinnis so I bought from him instead. That's another nice thing about the farmers market... supporting friends, and local people in general.

ETA: You are so lucky to get yummy organic produce free! *envies*
#24 Old 07-09-2005, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly View Post

Are the chanterelles comparable in price to a market? Less? More expensive?

Answering for Kirk: Sorry, I don't know -- because I've never seen chanterelles in a regular store.
#25 Old 07-09-2005, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I found out today at my co-op orientation meeting that there is a farmers market on saturday mornings in the next town over. i think i'm gonna try to figure out how to get there next saturday!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#26 Old 07-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been selling my semi-famous vegan muffins at the Farmer's Market nearby.

Last week I purchased squash, white corn, and green pepper - then made roasted vegetable burritos. Yum.
#27 Old 07-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular

#28 Old 07-10-2005, 02:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Yummy, I got "transitioning to organic" peaches for only $1.25 a pound today.
#29 Old 07-10-2005, 02:43 AM
Banned

I got a vegan scone at the Farmer's Market today. I didn't realize that they had produce too, I will look into that next week.
#30 Old 07-20-2005, 06:15 PM
Beginner

*bump*

I went to the local Farmers Market today, or rather what we just term as the market in Ottawa.

I spent $20CAN (Well I have $0.25 left), and this is what I got:

- 1 pint strawberries

- 1 pint raspberries

- a small basket of yellow plums?

- yellow and green beans (alot of em)

- 2 yellow zucchini

- 2 green zucchini

- 1 head broccoli

- 1 baby spring mix (salad)

- a bunch of locally grown baby carrots

- 2 cucumbers

- 1 head of garlic (it was .25)

- Peppers: 1 Green, 1 Red, 1 Yellow, 1 Orange

Now.. what to do with all my goodies? Suggestions?
LL
LL
LL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page