Tofurky Tips. - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 10-10-2006, 07:54 PM
Beginner

Sallyomally,

I used a glaze from Chukar Cherries, I think. You may be able to find it on-line. It was great!

Invictus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 10-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I am surprised by how many people don't actually like Tofurkey. I really quite enjoy it and after years of eating it actually look forward to it during the holidays, watching my father gag at the sight of it every year is rather hilarious.

I agree with the other poster who suggested the soy and oj variation, it always turns out very nicely, I also add a lot of different root vegetables and wrap it in tin foil and voila, very yums.
#33 Old 10-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm right there with you hollywood veg, I love the Tofurky! Even though my first one exploded when I made it (LONG story- read THIS post for the whole episode) It was better than the turkey in the opinion of a couple omnis!!

Anyway, my only advice is, if you make it using the steaming method, watch the thing closely, and poke holes in the bag. Oh, and there are some tips in the linked post too!

~Julie

"I remember the days when we talked for hours/And we were young, we thought we had superpowers/We weren't our problems, our age or our paychecks/And we weren't taking anybody's $h*t."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 10-12-2006, 05:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Hmmm. Exploding Tofurky. Sounds like fun.
#35 Old 10-13-2006, 07:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, I had the tofurky and I really liked it!! it even tasted like turkey. My sister who is pesca-vegetarian really liked it as did most of the omnis.

the gravy it came with was really delicious as well.
#36 Old 10-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I always thougt the tofurky part was just a wrapper to keep the stuffing moist.
#37 Old 10-13-2006, 11:19 AM

I think I'll try to make the tofuturkey and bring it to my Aunt's house this Thanksgiving. But I think I'd better try it at home first! Sounds like it might take some practice to get it right~
#38 Old 10-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

#39 Old 10-13-2006, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleGreen View Post

I think I'll try to make the tofuturkey and bring it to my Aunt's house this Thanksgiving. But I think I'd better try it at home first! Sounds like it might take some practice to get it right~

You may wanna try the oj/soy recipe that is on the box for the marinade, alls you really have to do is throw those ingredients together with the tofurky and a ton of you favorite root vegetables and wrap very well in foil and put in the oven for the temp and time indicated on the box, it's pretty straight forward, good luck!

Also, where I live Trader Joe's has by far the cheapest tofurky, although you may have to ask for them to get you one from their storage fridge in the back!
#40 Old 10-13-2006, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Alana View Post

Celllllllllllllllllllllllllllebrate good times, C'MON!

...Seriously, though, I love tofurky. I've thrown in some apple wedges with it in the oven before, and it came out very yummy.

Edit: ...Now that I think about it, I might've cooked it in apple juice too.

Honestly, I don't really remember what I did to it. It was really good though, whatever I did.
#41 Old 10-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by torties View Post

Be careful!!

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/32790

#42 Old 10-27-2006, 12:07 PM

Tofurky did NOT go over well with non-veggie guests, in fact none of us are all that fond of it either. Everyone seems to like the Quorn roast which we rub with olive oil, then press chopped fresh sage, pepper all around it, wrap it in pierced foil and bake. You could probably use any poultry type seasonings that your crowd normally would like as well. Once it is sliced, most of our guests comment on how good it is. We love it in sandwiches too (when and if there are any leftovers!) with cranberry sauce.
#43 Old 11-03-2006, 01:56 PM
Beginner

I can not get a Tofurky near me in Ontario (nearest place is somewhere in Toronto area), so I was considering making one (using the tofu in the collander method) this Christmas instead.

Is this a reasonable or good idea?

Has anyone else made their own immitation turkey at home? How about successfully?

I really want to be able to impress my family with this. Anyone have any tips on making your own tofurky at home?
#44 Old 11-03-2006, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT_E_M View Post

I can not get a Tofurky near me in Ontario (nearest place is somewhere in Toronto area), so I was considering making one (using the tofu in the collander method) this Christmas instead.

Is this a reasonable or good idea?

Has anyone else made their own immitation turkey at home? How about successfully?

I really want to be able to impress my family with this. Anyone have any tips on making your own tofurky at home?

You can mail order them:

http://www.tofurky.com/purchase/onlineordering.htm
#45 Old 11-03-2006, 05:50 PM

This is what I do with my own tofurkey. I take it out of the freezer two days before cooking it, so it is completely thawed. On the day I am to eat it, I take it out of the fridge first thing in the morning and place it in a large ziplock bag and place all my marinade ingredients inside(orange juice, soy sauce, honey) I also place my seasonings in it as well(garlic, onions, pepper) I also add mushrooms. I stuff some of these ingredients as well as pieces of apple and fresh orange inside the end cavities and prick it several times with a sharp knife so all the marinade can penitrate. I then seal the zip lock and place it inside another ziplock, zipper side upside down, to insure nothing leaks out. L leave it sit on the counter, and several times through out the day, I shake the bage and squeeze the marinade, making sure it seaps in all the holes. I usually wait until the rest of the family's turkey comes out of the oven(I'm the sole vegetarian), and cook my tofurkey for 45 minutes. Comes out perfect for me.

Peace,Vivian
#46 Old 11-04-2006, 03:47 PM
Beginner

Can anyone give me a price range of the tofurkey feast package? I loked at the site and it said 50 dollars?! Is that really the price??
#47 Old 11-04-2006, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieFerret View Post

Can anyone give me a price range of the tofurkey feast package? I loked at the site and it said 50 dollars?! Is that really the price??

Here at Whole Foods in Pittsburgh, the entire feast is $25, and the Tofurky by itself is $11.
#48 Old 11-16-2006, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok, My sister bought me a tofurkey. Now what should I baste it in. Should I use apple juice and spices? I am going to stick the sucker in a pan and surround it with red potatos, sweet potatos, onions, butter beans, asparagus, and peas.

I think whatever I do, Its gonna taste good to me. Because I'll be hungry.
#49 Old 11-16-2006, 12:52 PM
Banned

When I bought a tofurky by itself, for the first and only time 3 years ago, it was $25 for just the tofurky.
#50 Old 11-16-2006, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Alana View Post

it was $25 for just the tofurky.

And it probably only cost them $2 in innertubes to make it.
#51 Old 11-16-2006, 01:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

And it probably only cost them $2 in innertubes to make it.

Recycled bike tires.
#52 Old 12-21-2006, 09:35 PM

I've had it but I don't think I'll be having it again. It was okay but I think it takes an aquired taste, a little getting used to. They are quite expensive too, it was around $30

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page