Figs!! Help! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-29-2006, 08:39 AM
Beginner

Hi all, looking for suggestions on what to do with figs! Ive had them in the past in a dish or two from a restaurant but Ive never bought them (until today) and dont know what to do with them! Yes yes I know I can just eat them, but help!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-29-2006, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Grilled figs and arugala salad

8 large black mission figs or 12 green figs

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus extra for brushing figs

1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons aged Balsamic vinegar, divided

Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

1/2 pound arugula

Rinse and trim stem end of figs and split lengthwise. Whisk olive oil into 1/3 cup Balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Toss arugula with vinaigrette. Lightly brush figs with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill or broil figs one minute on each side. Remove figs from heat and toss with remaining 3 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar. Place figs on a bed of greens then sprinkle with vegan parmesan.
#3 Old 09-29-2006, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Scant 2 cups soymilk (or milk replacement of your choice)

2 tablespoons Earth Balance

1/2 cup chopped dried figs

1/2 to 1 tablespoon turbinado or light brown sugar

Pinch of salt

1 cup plain couscous

Additional turbinado or light brown sugar

Additional soymilk, optional

Warm the milk with the butter, figs, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat until small bubbles form at the rim and it just begins to approach a boil. Stir in the couscous, cover, and remove form the heat. Let the couscous stand for about five minutes. Spoon into bowls and pass additional sugar at the table, along with soymilk if you wish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-29-2006, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

12 medium figs (1 1/2 pounds)

4 slices loaf bread cut 1-inch thick

1/2 cup sugar

3 tablespoons earth balance

1/2 cup plain or vanilla soy yogurt, stirred until smooth

1/4 cup sliced almonds

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees or its highest possible setting. Toast the bread: lay the bread slices directly on the oven rack and toast in the heated oven until golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Place the toast on 4 warmed plates.

Meanwhile, trim stems off the figs. Slice the figs in half and dip them in sugar, turning so they are well coated. Heat 1 tablespoon of the EB, add the almonds, and saute until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Set them aside. Heat the remaining EB in a skillet. Add the figs, cut side down, and saute until done, turning once, 3 to 4 minutes.

Set the figs on the toast and spoon over the pan juices. Top each toast with soy yogurt and a sprinkling of toasted almonds. Serve at once so the toast stays crisp.
#5 Old 09-29-2006, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds

1/2 cup raw pistachios

1 cup balsamic vinegar

1/4 cup olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons

1/2 small red onion, chopped fine

1/2 cup quartered ****ake mushrooms

4 to 6 half-dried figs, halved

1/4 cup Marsala wine

2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

1 scallion, chopped fine

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Pita chips, as garnish

Put seeds and nuts in a medium bowl and cover with water. Soak the nuts for about 6 hours. Drain, rinse, and drain again.

Reduce vinegar in a small, heavy bottom of saucepan, on medium heat, until syrupy, about 30 minutes.

In a saute pan, heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil over high heat. Add in the onions, lower to medium high and saute for about 2 to 3 minutes. Add in the mushrooms and continue to saute. Once the onions and mushrooms are browned, remove from heat.

Rehydrate the figs in the Marsala on low heat in a small pan for about 10 minutes. Strain, reserving figs and Marsala and set aside.

In food processor, add in the nuts, remaining oil, mushrooms, onions, basil, scallions, salt, pepper, and the Marsala drained from the figs. Blend well and adjust seasoning. Make sure the mixture is smooth.

Spoon mixture onto a chip, place a fig on top and drizzle with balsamic syrup.
#6 Old 09-29-2006, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I like putting them in salads, along with some nuts and your dressing of choice.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 09-30-2006, 02:30 AM
Beginner

Karen! You're so cute! Thanks for all those they look scrummy! I bought some dried yesterday so Im currently enjoying them in my porridge! Super yummy, I'm so excited! Ive copied those recipes above and will try them to!

When are they in season?
#8 Old 09-30-2006, 03:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Ha, ha....I bet you thought I was a fig expert! Faked you out! I believe the season for figs is between August and October....I've been seeing an abundance of them in the supermarkets the past few weeks. I love fresh figs!
#9 Old 09-30-2006, 07:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I also like dried figs (never had fresh?), and after seeing your post I saw this recipe online last night & thought I would pass it along in case you get a sweet tooth!

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/08...iggy-bars.html

I have *not* tried these yet, but they looked so good!!! I know my kids LOVE the fig n*wtons that you can buy in the store, but they're not the healthiest snack, kwim? So as soon as I find the time I thought I'd try these instead!

HTH,

Michelle
#10 Old 09-30-2006, 07:35 AM
Veggie Regular

OMG, that recipe looks awesome!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page