Emergency (need to replace vegetable shortening in baking cookies) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-28-2006, 05:36 PM

HELP! Hahaha, I am having a baking emergency. So I decide to make vegan pumpkin cookies, right? And I have ALL the ingredients out and start to mix them. Well, when I get to the vegetable shortening it had dead ants on the tope and the rest of it looked really gross. i don't know if its gone bad or if it supposed to look like that (deep cracks and random...oily/dark spots). So, what is an alternative to vegetable shortening in recipes. Can I just do without, or what?

Here is the recipe:

\t

Pumpkin Cookies

Submitted by Stone_Fox

prep time: 15 min | cooking time: 12-15 min | makes 2 doz. ? (not really sure!)

I found this cookie receipe on a non-vegan site (oh the horror!) yet it is totally veggie friendly. i made about a billion of them for a party and everyone loved them. I told them they were vegan after and they were all like "really?". Don't you just love that?

Equipment:

normal cookie sheet and favorite wooden spoon. If you're making multiple batches replacing the spoon with a standmixer will save time.

Ingredients

1/2 c. shortening

1/2 c. granulated sugar

1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar

1 c. 100% pure pumpkin puree (NOT pie filling)

1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

1 c. chopped, toasted pecans

2 c. all purpose flour

1 tsp. each: baking powder, baking soda & cinnamon

pinch salt

1/2 tsp. ginger

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

1/8 tsp. cardamom

Directions

Mix everything together really well. Chill in refriderator for about an hour. Drop by spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet lined with parchemnt paper or a non-stick mat (optional but makes removal easier). If you want them to be really pretty put the dough into a big piping bag with a huge swirl tip and pipe swirls onto the baking sheet. Sprinkle with sugar for extra yumminess and bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes. let rest on pan for a few minutes then transfer to cooling rack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

1/3 cup oil replaces butter and i guess shortening. Hope your cookies go well.
#3 Old 09-28-2006, 06:51 PM

Thanks, but I ended up using Earth Balance margarine and they turned out amazing!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-29-2006, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

earth balance always works for me in baking, it's amazing stuff.
#5 Old 09-29-2006, 02:07 PM
DLS
Veggie Regular

Could you not use an all natural nut butter instead of the margarine. I mean as long as you are not allergic to nuts. I have never tried it, but now I think I will. If I do I will let you know how it turns out. And if I do not like 'em I will see if my chickens do. LOL
#6 Old 10-02-2006, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Coconut oil subs perfectly for shortening - often better than EB depending on the recipe, though Earth Balance works great in cookies.
#7 Old 10-02-2006, 08:31 PM

Yeah, I've heard that about coconut oil, and grr. Like, 2 days before I made my cookies we were at the store and I saw the coconut oil, but I was already buying a load of other stuff. I asked my mom if I could buy it but she said "next time, because you won't really need it soon". GRR! And then I needed it...

Anyway, the cookies, like I said, were amazing. They were sooooo soft and moist. Seriously, they only lasted like, 2 days, but they stayed moist no matter what! And i took some to school and none of the omnis suspected a thing and they all want some for Christmas, lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page