stupid spinach (is frozen spinach ok?) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-22-2006, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Frozen spinach should be o.k. right? I want to make lasange this week and need spinach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-22-2006, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular

frozen spinach is just fine... what do you mean by ok? Healthy? Would it work the recipe? You might want to defrost it before you make the lasange, just to be safe. It's perfectly healthy.
#3 Old 09-22-2006, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Stay away from those bagged salad greens! Apparently the sealed plastic bags create the perfect enviroment for e-coli, etc. to multiply. The convenience of those bags is not worth the risk.

We are going to start growing our own lettuce and spinach year-round. Then we will have total control over its safety!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

This is the most sensible thing I've read about the controversy yet http://chezpim.typepad.com/blogs/200...nach.html#more. Frozen spinach is fine, bunches of spinach are fine, bagged spinach is fine if you cook it to at least 160 degrees for 15 seconds and treat any utensils/cutting boards/surfaces you use on it before cooking as if they'd come into contact with raw meat i.e. don't use them on anything else until you've washed them in hot soapy water.
#5 Old 09-22-2006, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Very interesting article, especially the part about dirty cutting blades being a potential point of contamination; I never thought about that. I'm looking at pre-packaged greens in a whole new light. But it's still not clear to me that bunch spinach is fine, considering no one seems to know yet where the actual source of contamination is in this case. And I'm not at all sure that my normal method of steaming spinach until it wilts gets all of the spinach to 160 F for 15 seconds.
#6 Old 09-22-2006, 01:54 PM

i'm eating spinach anyway.
#7 Old 09-22-2006, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

So are grocery stores reducing prices on the bunch spinach they are still selling, to try to move it? Maybe now is a good time to grab some bunch spinach on sale if you feel comfortable eating it. Maybe I will stand firm with Purrpelle and pick some up next time I shop. Fight the power!
#8 Old 09-22-2006, 02:04 PM

i had to order it from my HFS- he only gets bunch, not bagged, and yeah, it's cheap.

he says it safe, or else he wouldn't be able to order it. the main reason you can't find any in the stores now is that the stores wouyld just end up throwing it out because the media is freaking consumers out and they won't buy any.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page