Silk Soy's new "smoother and creamier" coffee cream - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-20-2006, 08:46 AM
Beginner

I bought this the other and when I opened it the liquid had the consistency of sour cream. Has anyone else had this? I'm not sure of there is a problem with the product or if this is what Silk soy means the new "smoother and creamer" part is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-20-2006, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

No, sorry I haven't bought the creamer, but it doesn't sound right to me if it's the consistency of sour cream. Take it back to the store & let them look at it & get you another container.

Sorry you had to deal with it!

Michelle
#3 Old 09-20-2006, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

No, sorry I haven't bought the creamer, but it doesn't sound right to me if it's the consistency of sour cream. Take it back to the store & let them look at it & get you another container.

Sorry you had to deal with it!

Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-20-2006, 10:21 AM
Veggie Regular

YES I had one that was that consistency. Two, actually.

They smell fine and I tried it once and they worked fine, but it still makes me nervous.

I bought another one with a later date that is "smoother and creamier" and it has a different consistency completely!
#5 Old 09-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

YES I had one that was that consistency. Two, actually.

They smell fine and I tried it once and they worked fine, but it still makes me nervous.

I bought another one with a later date that is "smoother and creamier" and it has a different consistency completely!

I actually bought 2 as well at the same time and they were both the same weird consistency. I tried it too and it seemed fine, and no one is sick today! But who knows. It creeps me out a bit.
#6 Old 09-20-2006, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I learned to drink my coffee black when I went vegan.

Reading this I think I'm lucky there were no commercial vegan creamer substitutes back then. Yuck.

Cheers!

TJ
#7 Old 09-20-2006, 10:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Call Silk and let them know. If this is a common problem, they should be alerted to it ASAP.
#8 Old 09-20-2006, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I ran into that too... I used it as a sour-cream substitute, since the exp. date wasn't reached... it was perfectly fine - but NOT what I would use in my coffee...
#9 Old 10-10-2006, 06:13 AM
Veggie Regular

They are meant to have that consistency. That's what "smoother and creamier" means to White Wave, I guess. I took back two thinking they were bad, then the next time I went to the store they had signs up explaining the change. I bought one and used it, but I'm not buying any more.

I think it's gross. The flavor is okay, but not as good as it was imo. But the texture is weird and greasy in my coffee. And there is a lot of product left in the container at the end, clinging to the sides. It's very wasteful.

I'm not buying it any more, which is too bad because it's the only soy cream product available in my area. I can get used to soy milk in my coffee (chocolate soy milk works better) but I really liked the old Silk.

I wrote to White Wave and this is the canned response I got:

Quote:
Thank you for your e-mail to alert us of the recent experience you had

with Silk® Creamer. We have notified our Quality Assurance Department so

they can investigate and take corrective action.

Best-quality food products have been this company's passion since its

beginning. Around here, there isn't a single person who does not share

that goal, and who does not take pride in our record of achievement.

Incidents like the one you reported are rare, and we apologize for the

inconvenience.

For us, the good news is that you cared enough to let us know about it.

We thank you for that. Please call or email us so we can send out a

reimbursement for the inconvince.

Thanks again for contacting the Consumer Affairs Department.

Sincerely,

Lorena Cano

Consumer Response Representative

Obviously a form letter. But I still think it's a good idea to write them if you don't like it (or if you do, I guess). Just because they use form letter responses doesn't mean that consumer opinions don't count. They'll listen most to sales figures, though -- and I imagine the only way they'll change Silk Creamer back to the way it was is if sales drop off sharply.
#10 Old 10-10-2006, 11:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Borealis, Rich's coffee creamer (in the freezer section w/ the cool whip) is vegan and IMO better than the silk any way, plus it's cheaper. It isn't as good for you, but I don't use much anyway, so thats what I go for.

I am going to check out the creamer for a sour cream replacement, it's cheaper than sour supreme here and I wouldn't have to go to a speciality store.
#11 Old 10-10-2006, 12:01 PM
Banned

Apparently there's a thickener in it. And sometimes too much of it.

I've never had it. I'll hafta try it.
#12 Old 10-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

This sounds like bad news... They "improved" my coffee creamer. Not good!
#13 Old 10-10-2006, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebelovedtree View Post

Borealis, Rich's coffee creamer (in the freezer section w/ the cool whip) is vegan and IMO better than the silk any way, plus it's cheaper. It isn't as good for you, but I don't use much anyway, so thats what I go for.

I haven't seen that, but I'll have a look for it. Thank you!

Quote:
I am going to check out the creamer for a sour cream replacement, it's cheaper than sour supreme here and I wouldn't have to go to a speciality store.

Except it's slightly sweet... depending on what you want sour cream for, that might be okay. Also I found it to be more liquidy than typical sour cream, more like runny yogurt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page