Pre-packaged fried tofu - thoughts? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-14-2006, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I just recently bought my first bag of this pre-fried tofu, and it was delicious in some pad thai I made.

Is it really unhealthy?

*please say no*!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-14-2006, 09:09 AM
Beginner

Umm, its fried, so its not probably not something that you should eat everyday. That said, I second its deliciousness! I always 'wash' it in some hot water to get rid of some of the oil and then drain it on some kitchen towel, which also soaks up the excess oil. I sometimes have just this, heated up with something to dip it into (sweet chilli sauce). Its also great in salads. Given that tofu is good-for-you-protein, I figure that this offsets the friedness!
#3 Old 09-14-2006, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Ah thanks

That's what I figured, and it won't be an everyday thing, maybe half a packet once a month or so.

Hurrah!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-14-2006, 09:37 AM
Veggie Regular

where did you get it? i have had that in restaurants, but i havent seen it in any stores around here?
#5 Old 09-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

In an asian store, in the refrigerated section, near all the other tofu.
#6 Old 09-14-2006, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I bought it once in Chinatown. When I got home, I realized it already had weird pink mold on it and smelled really chemically. The fresh rice noodles were moldy too. I stay away from anything "fresh" at places like that.

Sometimes I buy fried tofu at whole foods. I forget what brand it is, but they just fried the whole block instead of cubes.
#7 Old 09-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I bought it once in Chinatown. When I got home, I realized it already had weird pink mold on it and smelled really chemically. The fresh rice noodles were moldy too. I stay away from anything "fresh" at places like that.

Sometimes I buy fried tofu at whole foods. I forget what brand it is, but they just fried the whole block instead of cubes.
#8 Old 09-14-2006, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I've bought it, but I don't think it tastes ANYTHING like what you get in restaurants. So I was disappointed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page