fast, easy, überdelicious choco-pudding cake - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-04-2003, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

this recipe comes from "How It All Vegan" by bernard and kramer. whenever i feel the need for chocolate but have none handy, i just whip this baby up.

Chocolate Pudding Cake

Is it pudding? Is it cake? It's just good!

1 cup flour

1 cup soy milk

1/2 cup margarine

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup cocoa powder

1 tbsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

3/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup cocoa powder

2 cups boiling water

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a loaf pan.

In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients from the first list until well-combined. Add the margarine and soy milk and mix lightly until just blended. Spread this mixture into the lightly oiled loaf pan and set aside.

Mix together the sugar and cocoa from the second list. Sprinkle this evenly over top of the cake batter. Carefully pour the boiling water over this. Do not mix this! The cake will do it's thing while baking!. Carefully place this in the oven and bake for 40 minutes.

Remove from the oven and serve big scoops of this while it is still warm. Particularly good when topped with "ice cream".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-04-2003, 02:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I've made that before .. maybe i've been doing something wrong, but every time i make it, what's supposed to be the pudding layer turns out more like a chocolate sauce.. it still tastes really good though. All the recipes I've tried in HWIAV have turned out very yummy - it's definately one of my favorite cookbooks, and i can't wait to get my hands on "Garden of Vegan"!

Anyway.. I prefer the chocolate pudding cake recipe that's in one of Bryanna Clark Grogan's books - it actually comes out like a pudding for me and it's lower in fat
#3 Old 02-04-2003, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

hmmm, well, while the cake is still real hot, the pudding is more like a sauce, but as it cools, it always thickens up nicely for me.

maybe it's got something to do with altitude or humidity where we each live?

you could try reducing the amount of water you use.

I LOVE BRYANNA CLARK GROGAN.

would you mind posting her recipe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-04-2003, 04:43 PM

Thanks Kreeli, I love pudding cake. I make Bryanna's Gingerbread Pudding cake all the time. I love her too.
#5 Old 02-04-2003, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

gingerbread pudding cake??? oh my. please, post that recipe when you have the time, too, yarnblossom! please!
#6 Old 02-04-2003, 07:03 PM

Here you go

BRYANNA'S GINGERBREAD PUDDINGCAKE serves 6-8

DRY MIX:

1 AND 1/4 CUP WHOLEWHEAT PASTRY FLOUR

1 TSP POWDERED GINGER

1 TSP BAKING SODA

1/2 TSP CINNAMON

1/2 TSP GROUND ALLSPICE

1/4 TSP BAKING POWDER

1/4 TSP SALT

FEW SCRAPING FRESH NUTMEG

WET MIX:

1/2 CUP MOLASSES (LIGHT OR DARK, AS YOU LIKE)

1/4 CUP WATER OR LEFTOVER COFFEE

1 T OIL

TOPPING:

2/3 CUP BROWN SUGAR OR SUCANAT

1 AND 1/2 CUP BOILING WATER

1 TBLSP EARTH BALANCE

PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES F. OIL AN 8" SQUARE PAN

WHISK TOGETHER DRY MIX INGREDIENTS IN A MEDIUM BOWL

WHISK TOGHETHER THE WET MIX INGREDIENTS IN A SMALLER BOWL. POUR THE WET MIX INTO THE DRY MIX AND STIR BRIEFLY. SPREAD INTO THE PREPARED PAN.

SPRINKLE BROWN SUGAR ON THE TOP OF THE CAKE BATTER. MIX THE BOILING WATER AND EARTH BALANCE TOGETHER. POUR OVER THE CAKE BATTER AND SUGAR. DO NOT MIX IN. BAKE 35 MINUTES. THE CAKE WILL BE ON TOP, WITH A BROWN SUGAR SAUCE ON THE BOTTOM. SERVE WARM (MAYBE WITH VANILLA FROZEN SOY DREAM, SOY DELICIOUS, ETC???
#7 Old 02-04-2003, 09:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll gladly post the recipe, as soon as i can get a hold of the book.. i'm currently visiting my mom and my cookbook collection is about 40 miles away

Bryanna really does have some good recipes out there; if i weren't broke, i'd probably buy up all her cookbooks in an instant

and with the HWIAV pudding cake recipe - the sauce does get thick for me when i let it cool, but it never quite gets to the full pudding consitency that i would like ..

I think the recipe i love most from that book is the gingerbread one - it is sooo good when you slather a good thick slice of it with earth balance! yum! Everyone else that i've gotten to try it doesn't like it though ..

I'll have to try that gingerbread pudding cake recipe for sure!
#8 Old 02-04-2003, 09:21 PM

My daughter got me a new Bryanna recipe book for my birthday. She got me one last year too.
#9 Old 02-06-2003, 11:02 AM

Here is Bryanna'a chocolate pudding cake she just posted it on her board.

BRYANNA'S NO-FAT HOT FUDGE PUDDING CAKE

(adapted from The Almost No Fat Cookbook by Bryanna Clark Grogan)

1.) Preheat the oven to 350 F.

2.)In a small bowl, mix together:

1 cup white or whole wheat pastry flour (or a mixture)

1/4 cup sugar of your choice (grind coarse sugar finer in a DRY blender)

1/4 cup oat flour or oat bran

1/4 c. unsweetened organic cocoa

2 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

3.)Stir in, but do not over-mix:

3/4 c. nondairy milk

2 tsp.vanilla OR 1/2 tsp. almond or coconut extract

OPT: 2 T. coffee or chocolate liqueur

4.) With wet fingers, spread the batter into a lightly greased or non-stick 8x8 inch pan.

5.)Mix together in a small bowl:

1 cup sugar of your coice (grind coarse sugar finer in a DRY blender)

1/4 c. unsweetened organic cocoa

6.) Sprinkle the sugar/cocoa mixture evenly over the top of the cake batter.

7.) And then pour gently over the top, but dont in any way stir in (yesit goes into the oven with soupy stuff all over the top!):

2 c. boiling coffee or coffee sub (or water-- but try to use brown sugar and the optional liqueur if you use water)

Bake this for 35 minutes. (you might want to put a pizza pan or cookie sheet on the rack below the cake, just under it, to catch drips, if any.) When it comes out of the oven, the cake will be on top with a sauce underneath. Serve plain or with non-dairy whipped topping (or vanilla nondairy frozen dessert).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page