Lactose-Intolerant Kids Need Dairy - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Lactose-Intolerant Kids Need Dairy

Dairy Foods Still Necessary For Strong Bones, Pediatric Group Says

Most children who are lactose intolerant can and should eat some dairy foods to ensure they get enough calcium and vitamin D, the nation's leading pediatric group says.

In a report published today, the Committee on Nutrition for the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends against eliminating dairy products as the primary treatment for lactose intolerance. The condition is extremely common among many racial and ethnic groups, including Asians, Native Americans, Hispanics, and blacks.

Although it is possible for children to get the calcium they need for strong bones without dairy, it isn't easy.

Broccoli, brussels sprouts, dried figs, and sardines are among the most calcium-rich nondairy foods -- but good luck getting the typical child to eat them.

Calcium-fortified cereals and orange juice may be a more realistic option. But the AAP has also warned parents to limit fruit juices, which contain a lot of sugar.

Continued: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1969826.shtml
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-05-2006, 09:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate how the dairy industry has brainwashed people into thinking they have to have dairy to have good bones. What a lie. Humans are such odd creatures in the fact that we are the only species to have milk past infancy-and it's milk of another species! How natural could that possibly be? What would we do without those cows to keep our bones healthy and strong? I mean, our mothers milk was just not enough for us and we need to rely on another species to provide our calcium. I hope those adults cows don't have any bone problems, since they have been weaned off their mothers milk since being calves.

OK, that was my sarcastic rant for the day. Felt nice.
#3 Old 09-06-2006, 02:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I see it as an education issue-- not a brainwashing issue. Just because something is not what you believe, dosent make it propaganda. There are people out there who have not read a book or artical past high school, or who have never read or listened to a health related topic in whatever media form-- it dosen't intrest them, its silly, they don't care. There are others who go off on a crazy fad diet where major food groups are ommitted (definition of a crazy diet) and then whine when they find they have a diet related disease, and say they were never told. I get really angry when I see a four hundred pound mother giving her two hundred pound children candy bars for lunch-- these are the people who need to be told what to eat-- because they have no clue-- And it needs to be in the simplest form of information transmittal, and it needs to be in a form that they will use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-06-2006, 02:48 AM
Banned

Duh. It's called lactose intolerance. They need dairy so they can build up that tolerance. *scoff*
#5 Old 09-06-2006, 06:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I think the root of the problem is that so many parents don't teach their children to eat fresh vegetables, and it's so endemic that it's just accepted that children won't eat vegetables, as acknowledged in that article. If they won't eat vegetables, of course they have to get their calcium somewhere else.

And of course they didn't mention that calcium-set tofu, fortified soymilk, and many greens are also excellent sources.
#6 Old 09-06-2006, 07:09 AM
Veggie Regular

That article is Horse****... need dairy for calcium. Yeah... right.

Real truth: Dairy LEACHES calcium from your bones b/c the phosphorus level is so high that it takes the calcium out in order to process it from the body.

I detest the dairy industry. and *I* grew UP on a DAIRY FARM.

My whole family is allergic to dairy. (big surprise)

There are certain heart conditions that dairy is the CAUSE. (This is known by medical experts.) If I eat dairy, my heart starts "acting up". (Besides the HORRID migraines I get from it.) [Of course, I never ever eat it.]

Dairy is the root of a whole host of health problems. In most cases those who are asthmatic if they COMPLETELY eliminate dairy from their diets, 80% experience cessation of any symptoms.

I could go on and on...

And the real cake topper is get your 3 servings a day in order to lose weight. What a HUGE disserve to the public. First off, anybody who eats dairy on the daily basis is already GETTING their 3 servings and in many cases a lot more than that! Next, dairy does NOT help in losing weight (they used a paid study in which they skewed the results on purpose). It does quite the opposite. It will help you to GAIN it. *sigh*

Oh and eating more of it to build up your tolerance is also HS. Your body will continue to react in a variety of ways that after a while, you won't notice how bad you feel b/c you feel bad ALL OF THE TIME and won't know any better. (There's also a whole naturopathic thought process on this that I don't have the time to post right now.)

I gotta stop now b/c this is one of those highly touchy subjects for me.
#7 Old 09-06-2006, 07:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I like the "Broccoli, brussels sprouts, dried figs, and sardines are among the most calcium-rich nondairy foods -- but good luck getting the typical child to eat them." line.

Um, I've never, ever had problems getting my kids to eat vegetables and my kids weren't even raised vegetarian.

I also don't get why they insist you need dairy for vitamin D. Um, milk is enriched with vitamin D. It didn't get there by itself. All you need to get enough vitamin D is 15 minutes of sunlight a day. Kids should be getting that from recess at school at the very least.

They also didn't mention that almost every brand of non-dairy milk is enriched with calcium and vitamin D so you get all of the supposed benefits of milk without the animal fat and cholesterol.
#8 Old 09-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by orapunzel View Post

Oh and eating more of it to build up your tolerance is also HS. Your body will continue to react in a variety of ways that after a while, you won't notice how bad you feel b/c you feel bad ALL OF THE TIME and won't know any better. (There's also a whole naturopathic thought process on this that I don't have the time to post right now.)

I was being facetious.
#9 Old 09-06-2006, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw jess View Post

I was being facetious.

Jess,

You were actually correct. They do need to build up a tolerance to it. I actually have my 1 year old drink directly from a cow's teat daily. By the time he's 5 he should be good to go!
#10 Old 09-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

If kids are going to eat vegetables, their parents should show them how it's done. Lots of adults don't like brocolli or brussel sprouts. Monkey see, monkey do.

It's not always as easy as that, though.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#11 Old 09-06-2006, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I blame my husband's dislike of most vegetables on his parents. You wouldn't believe the atrocities my mother-in-law inflicts on poor defensless veggies.
#12 Old 09-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

^^ can't be any worse than what my mother does to them...
#13 Old 09-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by compassionate1 View Post

Jess,

You were actually correct. They do need to build up a tolerance to it. I actually have my 1 year old drink directly from a cow's teat daily. By the time he's 5 he should be good to go!

I read the first sentence and thought "DAMMIT, I was right!? I hate when my wit isn't witty because I'm smarter than I think and it's TRUE!" Then I read the rest of it.

You're totally doing double duty. Building up your kid's tolerance to another species' breast milk, AND spending quality time with an animal. That's fantastic!
#14 Old 09-06-2006, 08:05 PM

Quote:

I read the first sentence and thought "DAMMIT, I was right!? I hate when my wit isn't witty because I'm smarter than I think and it's TRUE!" Then I read the rest of it.

You're totally doing double duty. Building up your kid's tolerance to another species' breast milk, AND spending quality time with an animal. That's fantastic!

Well, I believe in multi-tasking when it comes to veganism.

That way I can double, or even triple, the amount of good I do!
#15 Old 09-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by compassionate1 View Post

Jess,

haha, that's really funny Good for you, building up your kid's dairy tolerance like that.
#16 Old 09-07-2006, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Although it is possible for children to get the calcium they need for strong bones without dairy, it isn't easy.

(from article). Hm, that's funny, I've been doing it without much struggle for several years now. I'm quite disappointed that the AAP would make such a statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

If kids are going to eat vegetables, their parents should show them how it's done. Lots of adults don't like brocolli or brussel sprouts. Monkey see, monkey do.

Heh. I was watching that Supernanny show last week (I know, I know), and one of the goals was to get the kids to eat better food. They show the mom sitting at the table with a couple of kids, who are picking at their food. The nanny chick is watching off camera, but then she sneaks in and adds some broccoli to the mom's plate too, saying something like "here you go, mom, you forgot to give yourself some of this delicious broccoli". *chuckle*

Now, I wonder if all of these little kids are going to be subjected to stomachaches becasue they "have to have dairy". Grr.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#17 Old 09-07-2006, 01:32 AM

wow..sure that makes sense..give them dairy because they are lactose intolerant!

my son is casein intolerant and casein is in all dairy products..he has been drinking soy milk since he was one and its fortified with plenty of calcium and vitamin D!! sheesh!
#18 Old 09-07-2006, 05:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I was being facetious.

Hey sweetie,

My post wasn't directed to you at all! Sorry if you took it that way... in fact, I didn't even read yours till a little while ago.

I was just going "off" on the article and it got expanded cuz the dairy industry is one of my pet peeves (well, perhaps a little more than a peeve, I s'pose. ) ... so once I starting ranting on one part, I just keep going.
#19 Old 09-07-2006, 09:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Now, I wonder if all of these little kids are going to be subjected to stomachaches becasue they "have to have dairy". Grr.

They usually just have lactose intolerant people take a pill that helps them digest it better. Sad huh.

When will people get a clue that humans were not meant to have milk past infancy, especially milk of another species? That's why so many people get sick when they have dairy because it was not meant for us and our bodies are not designed to take it.
#20 Old 09-07-2006, 10:44 AM
Beginner

My niece is lactose intolerant. Her parents give her the nonlactose milk instead of soy milk. I have no idea why. They ***** about how expensive it is and it would be cheaper for them to use the soy milk. At least I got her to develop a taste for vegetables when I used to babysit her.
#21 Old 09-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post

I like the "Broccoli, brussels sprouts, dried figs, and sardines are among the most calcium-rich nondairy foods -- but good luck getting the typical child to eat them." line.

Um, I've never, ever had problems getting my kids to eat vegetables and my kids weren't even raised vegetarian.

Being very lactose intollerent myself, I never eat ANY of those things and I get calcium fine Whatever happened to fortified soy/rice milk, fortified fake cheese, white beans, tofu, calcium supplements, fortified cereal, ect.?

If I took their advice I'd feel like crap all the time!
#22 Old 09-11-2006, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

the dairy industry is trying to take control, since dairy substitutes and things like that are starting to become more of a demand.

I recently saw a commerical for cereal and it showed a carton of milk, with DAIRY MILK in huge letters across it.

geez, relax! scared of people buying less of that disgusting, unhealthy and unnatural (for humans) liquid?
#23 Old 09-12-2006, 12:57 AM
Beginner

Dairy industry cracks me up. They act like human survival all depends on the all mighty cow!
#24 Old 09-12-2006, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I actually had someone ask me where I get my calcium, since I'm allergic to casein. "Sesame? Fortified soy milk? But sure that can't be enough!". Hmm, I wonder where my asthma went...

And I'd assume it's not all that hard to feed your average kid a cake baked with ground almonds instead of flour or some halva or marzipan.

In one of my dictionaries of biological terms, the entry for "milk" states that it's a potential allergen and shouldn't be given to small children, or something along those lines.
#25 Old 09-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok, so most non-caucasian humans are lactose intolerant. This means these people managed to live for thousands of years without consuming dairy products. To this day there are groups who consume no dairy at all, and yet, these people manage to thrive.

Through just a small application of logic, it's easy to see that no one needs to consume cow juice.
#26 Old 09-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

This article is just one small example of what I deal with on a day to day basis (I'm *this close* to being a dietitian). Milk is a miracle food. Don't dare question it.

Side note: Last summer I went to a conference where the guest speaker was the chair of Dietitians of Canada.. who used to work for the dairy industry.. who ironically proceeded to finally convince me that milk was evil (during her 2 hour long spiel on why milk is great and soy milk is evil (which was supposed to be an educational session on bone health and osteoporisis - as a student I walked away not hearing anything new - ugh!). At any rate, they were offering free bone density tests (well they weren't bone density tests per say, but they showed the health of your bone). I never drank much milk growing up, and had just recently started to drink soy milk on a fairly regular basis (certainly not long enough to build up bone strength). Osteoporosis runs in my family. At that point I had never really done much exercising. LOTS of huge risk factors there. So I was expecting my bone health to be pretty crappy. So I was waiting in line, and the person doing the test was asking about milk drinking habits and exercise habits, etc, and the two girls ahead of me were saying how much milk they drink, etc. Both of their results were on the low end of normal. Cringing, I had the test done. My results? Smack dab in the middle of normal. Makes me glad I never liked milk. Ha.

Oh yeah, and the conference was filled with dairy industry paraphenelia. The dairy industry makes lots of "great" resources for dietitians that are highly biased towards milk consumption. IMO, the dairy industry is to dietitians as the pharmaceutical drug industry is to doctors.

Did I just say that? Have I been fired yet?

/rant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page