Help please! (meat substitutes) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-27-2006, 11:36 PM
Beginner

Hey im new to the whole veg thing and i need some help. Does anyone know any quick and easy subs for meat that i can make to have with the rest of the dinner my mum cooks? If you could let me know, that would be v. appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-28-2006, 02:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Morningstar Farms and Boca make some decent meat substitutes, like griller, veggie burgers, chickenless patties/nuggets, etc.

Also there is TVP (textured vegetable protein) that works like ground beef. And seiten.
#3 Old 08-28-2006, 04:09 AM
Beginner

Also tofurkey is a good brand for sausages and deli/dinner meat(their thick cut turkey is great for a turkey slice meal with some gravy and cranberry sauce).

Mostly i encourage you to go and try each brand that apeals to you most(usually the bigger and better brands are all together). Because one brand i might love you might hate so its good to find stuff that works for you(especially since in the veg world imo one brand could taste like garbage and another taste sinfully good lol).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-28-2006, 04:19 AM
Heart Beet

if you are a bit handy in the kitchen it would be cheaper to make a big batch of seitan "steaks" and freeze them for later use. if you want a great recipe PM me. *^.^*

also there are about a million meat subs in the fresh section (near the veggies and fresh dressings for me) and in the freezer section, or canned sometimes too.

Look for Boca (usually but not always a red box), Morningstar Farms (usually but not always a green box) or Quorn (always a yellow box) brands in the freezer. Look for Linda Loma or Worthington in cans. Look for Yves, SmartLife (ie Smart Dogs, Smart Ground, etc) and a few others in the refrigerator section.

Don't know if you are lacto-ovo or vegan so if you are trying to go vegan just read labels carefully because a lot of these contain egg albumen or other lacto-ovo additives, but then, some don't!

good luck!!! *^.^*
#5 Old 08-28-2006, 05:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Also, there's always a can of vegetarian chili. I don't know what brands are available in the UK, but there's bound to be something. Most of the brands mentioned above are American brands, and I'm not sure if they're marketed in the UK, but I know Quorn is.

(Can anyone tell I'm a big fan of canned vegetarian chili after the way I've been talking it up? You can't beat it when it comes to quick & easy meals.)
#6 Old 08-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

You can do some things with plain beans or with tofu, too. I have a "Five Ingredient Vegetarian Gourmet" by Nava Atlas which has some easy recipes you could do, too. I like the "Shake N Bake Tofu" (I think that's the title), which has you put tofu sticks in a mixture of herbs and wheat germ and then you bake them. Very easy to make, so you could make them while your mum is cooking whatever she's making for everyone else. (I like these with the peanut sauce recipe she has in the book.)
#7 Old 08-30-2006, 05:17 PM

Gardenburger Riblets are amazing!!!
#8 Old 08-30-2006, 06:35 PM
Banned

your profile says you're in australia? it might be worth asking in the australia thread for specific suggestions for brands of veggieburgers and similar things that might be available in your area- i dunno how many of the american things mentioned so far you'll be able to get there.

with regards to burgers and the like- i bet there will be veggieburgers and veggie dogs and things like that in larger supermarkets near you, but if you're looking for your mum to pay for these, bear in mind that she might not want to buy them all the time, not least cos they'll probably cost more than regular meat versions. so if i was you, i'd probably look at other less expensive or special seeming ingredient things i could use to bulk up meals or add interest to them.

what sort of stuff does your mum cook? is it 'meat and 2 veggies' type meals, foods from a specific area (italian, greek, etc) or all kinds of different foods from round the world? you could use things like canned beans and lentils (they come in loads of types) and nuts and seeds and extra veggies to add variety and nutrients to meals like stirfries and spagetti and chilli and curry and soup and all kinds of things like that- ask if you can seperate out a portion for you before your mum adds meat to things like this when she's cooking and think of what non meat extras you can just throw in to make your bit interesting.

even if you're not hugely into cooking, you could get hold of some basic (and really easy) veggieburger receipes either in the reciepes section of this site, or on www.vegweb.com and make your own burgers, falafels, meatballs, crumbles and sausages etc, using all kinds of things like beans and lentils and nuts and veggies, and loads of different flavours and spices, and maybe even TSP/TVP (dehydrated soya flakes/crumbles). you'd be suprised what good things you can make from basic ingredients.

this would be a good idea if you didnt mind spending an hour or so once in a while with a big bowl in the kitchen with handfuls of grated veggies and herbs and spices and mashed up canned beans, etc, mixing it all up and forming patties. you could make loads all at once, and put them in the freezer for quick and cheap burgers available whenever. i quite often make a big stash of burgers like this, its cheap and easy and healthier than eating boxed veggieburgers all the time, and quite good (and sometimes a bit messy) fun too, lol.

you could also look into trying out tofu, if you have bigger grocery stores or asian stores near you. look at the tip of the day thread which is at: https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=50249 for really handy info on handling and making the most of tofu- which you can use in place of meat in loads of ways.

i tend to buy the firm kind of tofu, and when i get it home, i take it out of the pack, squish the water out, slice it into 4 or 8 slices, then freeze it in ziplock bags. then i'll pick a chunk out of the freezer when i need it, microwave it for 2 minutes max to defrost it, press the water out again, slice it up into little chunks, and soak it in a marinade (just a mix of liquids - things like soy sauce and lemon juice or stock or tomato paste mixed with water, or a combo of the above, and any herbs and spices that you like) then panfry it for a couple of minutes. sounds like a bit of work, but really its just 5 minutes when you get home from the store, then a few minutes preparation and cooking whenever you wanna eat it.

with tofu, you can have it any way you would have meat, (what its like depends on how you flavour it!) so try it in different ways, with 2 veggies and potatoes, or added to wraps, in tacos, in sandwiches, stirfries, soups, stews, etc etc etc -its very versatile!

hope this helps, good luck, and don't be afraid to try loads of new stuff and have a go at making your own veggieburgers!
#9 Old 08-30-2006, 08:46 PM

This is really helpful! My family has meat almost every supper time and I needed some alternatives.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page