Calcium lactate in Ener-G egg replacer - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-13-2006, 08:08 AM
Vegan Police Officer

I was looking at the ingredients in the Ener-G egg replacer that is often spoken of here on VeggieBoards. I was just curious to see what it was (it is not available where I live).

They say that one of the ingredients is Calcium Lactate and that this is not dairy. I was sceptical and went googling.

I may be missing out on something, but as far as I can make out, Calcium Lactate is NOT non-dairy.

Any input from someone on this?

Their product seems to be a highly artificial thing. I think I prefer to go without.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-13-2006, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't use it that often, but it disturbs me to think the calcium lactate in it is from dairy. I went searching as well and everything I came up with said that calcium lactate is from a non-dairy source. Only one place mentioned that calcium lactate comes from dairy. I guess a note to the company is in order. I would hope that since they know vegans use their product that the calcium lactate would truly be from a non-dairy source. I mostly use tofu or flax seed as an egg replacer.
#3 Old 08-13-2006, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

That's funny, I googled it and didn't see any indication that it IS an animal product. Word on the web seems to be that it's normlly made by combining lactic acid and calcium carbonate. I don't see any indication that either of these chemicals are normally produced from animal products. Commercial lactic acid is produced by bacterial fermentation, and calcium carbonate is a mined mineral. What are you seeing that makes you think it's an animal product?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

About Lactic Acid, from Wikipedia:

Lactic acid is used in a variety of food stuffs to act as an acidity regulator. Although it can be fermented from lactose (milk sugar), most commercially used lactic acid is derived from bacteria such as Bacillus acidilacti, Lactobacillus delbueckii or L. bulgaricuswhey to ferment carbohydrates from sources such as the cornstarch, potatoes or molasses. Thus, although it is commonly known as "milk acid", products claiming to be vegan do sometimes feature lactic acid as an ingredient.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page