Free-Range Friendly Restaurants - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-28-2006, 02:51 PM

Now, I know eating free-range animals isn't exactly vegetarian, but I'm slowly easing into being fully vegetarian, and I figure that if I know some restaurants or fast food places that serve only free-range meat, it could be a good step towards it. I'm not really looking for supermarkets or grocery stores, though. Just mainly restaurants and fast food places. If you know any, please post them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-28-2006, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Someone told me of a big restaurant attached to a farm they went to, where they kill the animals that day from out back in the field. I think they said that if you show up early you can even pick out the cow/chicken/pig you want to eat. Sort of like a petting farm, but more interactive. Think it's in Minnesota.

Can't get a whole more free-range then that - unless you hunt.
#3 Old 07-28-2006, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

You could even make it like a family trip. Bring the kids, find a cute little piggie, play with it for a while, and eat it for dinner! It would be like a bonding experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-28-2006, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

It would be even more interactive if they had you work with them to kill and prepare it. Probably cut down on the amount of meat you'd want to order, also....
#5 Old 07-28-2006, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz View Post

Now, I know eating free-range animals isn't exactly vegetarian, but I'm slowly easing into being fully vegetarian, and I figure that if I know some restaurants or fast food places that serve only free-range meat, it could be a good step towards it. I'm not really looking for supermarkets or grocery stores, though. Just mainly restaurants and fast food places. If you know any, please post them.

You will find the same kind of horrible living conditions, mistreatment, and killing on a free range farm as you will on any other farm. It doesn't sound like eating free range animals is a good step toward anything.

There's a lot of myths out there about free range farms. All the farm needs to do in order to be considered "free range" is have access to outside air for the animals. Not sure if you are in the U.S., but the USDA defines free range as*:

Quote:
FREE RANGE or FREE ROAMING:

Producers must demonstrate to the Agency that the poultry has been allowed access to the outside.

Other than that, anything else goes. FWIW, this definition isn't even used to regulate hens that are raised for eggs, only poultry raised for meat.

Either way, the animals are suffering and dying whether they are "free roaming" or not.

*This is directly from the USDA website. http://www.fsis.usda.gov/oa/pubs/lablterm.htm

More info on free range and other USDA terms: http://www.peta.org/mc/factsheet_display.asp?ID=96
#6 Old 07-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Heres an idea: look in your local newspaper for someone giving away free kittens. Let them roam around your backyard until its time to harvest. Its like... free free-ranged dinner for a week.

I call the drumstick!
#7 Old 07-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Banned

kenz, to be honest, i think you'll have trouble finding chain restaurants that serve free range meat. independant restaurants, you'll need to research in your own area, obviously.

a friend of mine tried to do the same thing a few months ago, all of the big restaurant chains she approached were very vague on declaring the sources that they got their meat from, and just referred her to online documents outlining that their meat was produced following national meat production guidelines- which she read in detail, including the parts where they discuss effective chick maceration proceedures- and she found it not related to the question she asked.

its not financially viable for big chains to use anything expensive, meat wise, and while their commercials will spin 'chemical free' and 'natural', it doesn't mean much in reality- most likely the meat will be produced on an industrial scale, in the most cost effective manner- which i doubt includes happy cows and chickens frolicing in the grass.

i also doubt that you will get as much support as you'd hope for here, with it being a vegetarian site- perhaps it would be more pertinant to visit the websites of individual restaurants in your area, and send them all a blanket email asking them about this, and see what they say.

i'm guessing like they did with my friend, they'll refer you to national meat standards documents- not wanting to say outright 'no, we don't use 'special' kind and humanely produced meat, and yes, our meat is just as unfriendly to animals as any other kind'.

good luck though- i hope you find what you need, and that it works out for you.
#8 Old 07-28-2006, 06:55 PM

Wow. I understand the lack of support, because you are all vegetarians, but because of the rude comments received, I'm thinking about reconsidering becoming a vegetarian. I take offense to your insolent replies. I had no knowledge of the information like that of which in Veggiejanie's post. I'm trying here. I didn't mean to offend anyone with this, just get information. But if most vegetarians are this ignorant as I have found in this topic, I'm not sure if I want to be classified as part of this group. But thank-you to the two informative posts I did find here by Veggiejanie and Hoodedclawjen.
#9 Old 07-28-2006, 06:59 PM

You're welcome, kenz. I hope that you are not seriously reconsidering vegetarianism. I encourage you to read more about being a vegetarian to make a more educated decision for yourself. Hopefully you will see that vegetarianism is the right choice for you.
#10 Old 07-28-2006, 07:00 PM

you are going to reconsider being a vegetarian because people were rude to you?

then i should reconsider driving a car because other drivers are rude to me.

anyhoo....

this is a veg*n board, so you have to understand that asking to recommend where to eat meat is going to ruffle feathers. if you are trying to go veg*n, there is tons of help you can get here, i promise.

besides, there are very few from birth vegans here.. we've all gone though the "process". stick around.
#11 Old 07-28-2006, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Wow. I understand the lack of support, because you are all vegetarians, but because of the rude comments received, I'm thinking about reconsidering becoming a vegetarian. I take offense to your insolent replies. I had no knowledge of the information like that of which in Veggiejanie's post. I'm trying here. I didn't mean to offend anyone with this, just get information. But if most vegetarians are this ignorant as I have found in this topic, I'm not sure if I want to be classified as part of this group. But thank-you to the two informative posts I did find here by Veggiejanie and Hoodedclawjen.

ignore troub. I think pretty much most of us do anyway.

#12 Old 07-28-2006, 07:27 PM
Banned

kenz- please don't be put off - you'll find lots of supportive, positive and helpful people here, as well as lots of information on changing your diet, and moving towards veg*anism.

talking about continuing to eat meat isn't generally very well recieved here though, as i'm sure you can guess why. imagine saying that you're not sure if god exists yet, but that you're thinking about it, but want to find out about practicing a kind of satanism that is 'less' evil for now, on a christian forum, for example- i'm sure you'd get the same kind of not so positive responses there, as you did here earlier! lots of people here have strongly held feelings and beliefs too.

but please stick around, and read some posts and forums- especially those in the 'new to vegetarianism' sections- they have lots and lots of tips on things like reducing meat consumption, phasing things out, adapting reciepes, eating out, trying new veggie foods, and using fake meats, which i think you'd find helpful.

please use whats available, take what works for you, and do what feels right for you, and progress in your own time- this is your own journey- nobody else can decide what is right for you, or when, or how. don't be put off by other peoples opinions and/or rudeness- i'm sure you encounter it in other parts of your life too- and you'll likely encounter a fair bit of it as a vegetarian as well!

i hope we'll continue to see you around!
#13 Old 07-28-2006, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

if most vegetarians are this ignorant as I have found in this topic,

Ignorant? What was said that is ignorant? Do you know what ignorant means?

I was completely serious in my post. There is a restaurant that kills the animals they serve that day, and I heard that if you go early you can pick it out. I was not being sarcastic at all, an acquaintance of mine went there. Whats more fresh and free-range then that?

If I still ate animal flesh I would be excited to have the freshest possible. Just like I like the freshest fruit/veggies now. I don't see what was so offensive about my post.
#14 Old 07-28-2006, 09:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

but because of the rude comments received, I'm thinking about reconsidering becoming a vegetarian.

Try being an AR vegan thats opposed to pets and abortions, or a Christian thats opposed to the death penalty, war, and eating animal flesh. You'll get LOTS more rude comments, from omnis, vegetarians, AND vegans. Loads worse then someone suggesting a pick-your-own free-ranged farm/restaurant, or farming your own meat in your back yard. Both of which I see as pretty good options for free-ranged meat.

*runs back to the compost heap*
#15 Old 07-28-2006, 10:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

You could even make it like a family trip. Bring the kids, find a cute little piggie, play with it for a while, and eat it for dinner! It would be like a bonding experience.

stop being so patronizing, troub. I'm pretty sure this post made it clear that you werne't making a concerted effort at sincerity.
#16 Old 07-29-2006, 12:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I was being serious. Dinner should be a family experience, and picking out the pig you want to eat with your kids would be fun for the whole family. Like pick-your-own pumpkins. If the OP wants me to, I'll call my acquaintance and get directions to this place.

I'm being supportive - just being read as sarcastic.

In fact. I'm the only who has even suggested a specific restaurant that offers free-range meat.
#17 Old 07-29-2006, 03:15 AM
Veggie Regular

My first reaction was that I wasn't aware of any free-range restaurants, and not that I'm interested in jumping into the melee here, but there is a restaurant in NYC (my co-worker actually ate there) that serves beef from cows that are supposedly treated really well. The cows get messaged and everything....I personally think it's crazy but it is out there.
#18 Old 07-29-2006, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I was actually quite serious about my post, and not meaning to be rude. But I apologise. I hope the OP will not change her mind about becoming vegetarian because of perceived rudeness here, but instead will spend some time reading the board and especially learning more about the meat industry.
#19 Old 07-29-2006, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

i do not think buying free-range meat will bring you closer to vegetarianism. how about eating meat twice a week and then reduce as much as you are comfortable with? you will probably feel more energetic, especially if you cut back on dairy and eggs and increase varieties of grains, vegetables, fruits, and nuts. good luck.
#20 Old 07-29-2006, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Actually, penny, the first step I took toward my "journey into vegetarianism" was buying organic, free-range meat.
#21 Old 07-29-2006, 04:00 PM
Veggie Regular

A link that might help you is: http://www.eatwellguide.org/

The "Eat Well Guide" is a very helpful list of restaurants, stores, and farms that raise and sell humanely-raised meat, poultry and dairy products. It was originally put together by the makers of the Meatrix and has grown considerably now. There are reviews and information about all kinds of places and you can search by putting in your zip code or do an advanced search for the exact type of farming sources you're looking for.
#22 Old 07-29-2006, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Troub, for what its worth, I found your posts amusing.

Kenz, sorry that you aren't getting the recommendations you're looking for, but you're asking for where to buy meat from veg*ns.
#23 Old 07-29-2006, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdufstuff View Post

Troub, for what its worth, I found your posts amusing.

I do too, I'm a fan...but I can see how a newbie might not know how to take him!
#24 Old 07-30-2006, 06:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Honestly now, if that's your reason for NOT going vegetarian, then you didn't have a good reason for it in the first place. As you may have read in other threads on this site, you need a bit of a thick skin to be veg because once you are, everyone and their brother will feel like it's within their rights to criticize/pick apart/mock your diet; you'll encounter ignorant waitstaff, family members who think you're crazy, and a variety of people who think you're going through some "phase." So then what? I can't be vegetarian because the vegetarians criticize me for eating meat, but I can't eat meat because the meat eaters criticize me for being vegetarian, so I'll show them all, I'll go on HUNGER STRIKE and STARVE TO DEATH!! Brilliant plan.

If you go vegetarian, maybe at some point you'll understand. A dead animal is a dead animal is a dead animal. Asking vegetarians where to eat dead animals is just silly. We spend our time avoiding places to eat dead animals, and consider that many of us do not consider replacing one kind of dead animal with another "trying" to be vegetarian if you aren't reducing your meat intake at all.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#25 Old 07-30-2006, 08:14 AM
Veggie Regular

^^^ rc is right; if a few snarky comments are enough to make you give the idea of being vegetarian, I question your motives. Seriously, Amy's experience aside, the biggest benefit I see out of deciding to choose only humanely raised and slaughtered meat is that truly humane meat is so hard to find, short of raising and slaughtering it yourself, that it makes being vegetarian look a lot easier and more appealing. Raising livestock humanely is antithetical, in this day and age, to producing it in mass quantities for profit. So you simply will not find any chain restaurants that serve it. It gets in the way of profit. If you really want to eat free range meat (and Janie's right, "free range" means virtually nothing legally) the best you can do is probably a local health-food sort of restaurant.
#26 Old 08-03-2006, 10:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

If you really want to eat free range meat (and Janie's right, "free range" means virtually nothing legally) the best you can do is probably a local health-food sort of restaurant.

I offer McDonalds owned Chipotle as a counterexample. Free range meat and organic dairy, at a fast food chain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipotle_Mexican_Grill
#27 Old 08-04-2006, 06:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

I offer McDonalds owned Chipotle as a counterexample. Free range meat and organic dairy, at a fast food chain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipotle_Mexican_Grill

No kidding?!? Well, there ya go, kenz. A recommendation for you.

(Of course, I didn't eat at Chipotle before I was veg because I just don't consider it very good.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page