Vegan Jew Food Recipe's - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-24-2003, 12:41 AM
Veggie Regular

In the spirit of the other cultures recipe thread, I thought I'd open up a jewish food thread. Things like cholent, moch chopped liver or matzo ball soup. All sedar ideas would be welcomed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-24-2003, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not Jewish, so I don't know too much about Jewish foods, but I have seen a Vegan Passover cookbook. I don't remember who the author was, I'll post if I find the name. Also, the cookbooks How it All Vegan and Garden of Vegan by Sarah Kramer and Tanya Banard have many Jewish recipes, like mock liver and matzo ball soup, kugels, ect.
#3 Old 07-24-2003, 10:22 AM
Banned

I've finally figured out how to make decent potato latkes w/o eggs.

I have a recipe for mock chopped chicken liver with onion that tastes so much like real chopped chicken liver with onion it is scary.

But I'm not going to post them unless people feel free to criticise them mercilessly.

I also have a chicken fat substitute that congeals in the same sickening way when refrigerated, but is actually rather low in fat. You can spread it on bread or matzoh just like real chicken fat. I spread it on pita breads, add garlic and a dash of hot pepper, and it then toast them until the bread both crisps a bit and absorbs the hot garlickly mockchicken fat. One person who tried this said they thought they had died and went to heaven.

Yes, I also have a recipe for mock chicken soup. Mock chicken broth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-24-2003, 10:29 AM
Banned

Of course, borscht is not really Jewish, it is Russian. Potato latkes aren't really Jewish either. Borcht is so easy to make it's ridiculous. I make it and eat it cold in the summer, with mock sour-cream.
#5 Old 07-24-2003, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Soilman, at least in my family, ( they are Jewish where I am Wiccan) they are known as traditional Jewish food. This doesn't mean they are not Russian either. There are many types of Jews, I even know a resturaunt, Soul Vegetarian, that is run by African Hebrews.

I for one have not critised any recipe, so feel free to post them. Constructive critisim is always welcome, if people have new ideas on how to improve something.
#6 Old 07-24-2003, 05:35 PM
Banned

Wiccanveg says:

=================

I for one have not critised any recipe, so feel free to post them.

=================

Huh? Are you implying that the fact that someone might conceivably criticise a recipe I post, would influence me not to post it? Isn't that backwards? Most people would be reluctant to post a recipe, because they are afraid that no-one would criticise it.

I am not going to post a recipe just so a few people can say ooo that sounds delicious, I am going to try it some day. If they aren't going to try it soon, and tell me either they like it, it sucks, or they couldn't care one way or another, then I'm not going to post it. Since I figure that is what is most likely to happen, a few yes-men will say ooo that sounds delicious and then forget all about it, there is no point in me wasting my time posting a recipe.
#7 Old 07-24-2003, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

"To criticize" can mean two things. One is "to evaluate", the other is "to find /point out the fault of".

I think she simply meant that she hasn't postet a negative response to any recipe, rather than having abstained from giving constructive comments.

(correct me if I'm wrong, Wiccanveg. Oh, and sorry for butting in)
#8 Old 07-24-2003, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

let's keep this on topic, shall we? we can discuss the relative merits of recipe deconstruction and evaluation in a different thread, if someone (*koffsoilman*) is inclined to create it. yes?

soilman, i want to know how you solved your longstanding latke dillema. that's been going on for as long as i've known you. please, do go on. also with the chicken fat/soup thing. yes. please. i promise to review them as soon as i have a chance.
#9 Old 07-24-2003, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Ditto to Kreeli's requests.

I'm very curious about the pseudo chicken fat. My father used to eat rye bread with duck fat and (sweet) pickled red cabbage after christmas (duck was christmas dinner, Danish tradition) sometimes I -in my pre veg years- would too. It was actuallt quite tasty, no matter how unappetizing it may sound. So, yes, do post the recipe, I'd like to try to eat it that way.
#10 Old 07-24-2003, 07:42 PM
Beginner

This thread is actually REALLY good and interesting. I'm Jewish, and while being veggie/vegan is extremely compatible with Jewish food traditions for most of the year (being "La Dame aux Legumes," I actually have six or seven terrific vegan cholent recipes, which I'll post here), Pesach is in fact a big challenge to me as a vegan.

What the heck can you eat besides salad, green veggies, fruit and matzah? Best of all: what can you pack for a bag lunch during Pesach?
#11 Old 07-25-2003, 11:26 AM
Veggie Regular

i wish there was a recipe for matza brei (sp?) without eggs. heh.

passover is pretty difficult. i usually end up cheating
#12 Old 07-25-2003, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

vegetable -- I've seen egg-free matzos here. (Btw -- they are excellent lightly toasted with margarine.) Does your family make their own matzo?

Here's a recipe I found for vegan matzo ball soup (from here http://www.vegsource.com/talk/recipe...ges/73666.html):

Matzo Ball Soup

Ener-G Egg Replacer for 1 egg (or 2 Tbs potato starch + 3 - 4 Tbs water)

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp salt

1/2 cup matzo meal

2 Tbs unsalted margarine

1 tsp vegetarian "chicken" bouillon powder

2 quarts of vegetarian "chicken" broth (such as Imagine's NotChicken Broth)

Beat egg sub well.

Mix margarine with the 1 tsp bouillon powder.

Mix egg sub, matzo meal, 1/2 tsp salt, and the flavored margarine.

With oiled hands, roll the mixture into small balls.

Chill balls in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

Bring a stockpot full of water to boil. Add 1 tsp salt.

Drop balls gently into boiling water. Cover.

Cook on gentle boil for about 20 minutes.

Do not uncover during cooking or they will become tough.

Bring "chicken" broth to a boil. Turn down to simmer.

Transfer matzo balls to the simmering stock.

Serve.
#13 Old 07-25-2003, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I have been making these Latkes since my son brought the recipe home from school about 8 years ago.

6 med potatoes

Egg replacer for two eggs

1 t salt

2 T flour

1/4 t baking powder

1 small onion

1 small apple

Peel and grate potatoes, onion and apple on coarse grater (or food processor) Drain off water. Beat egg substitute lightly, add grated potatoes, onion, apple and blend well.

Add salt, flour, baking powder and mix thoroughly. Pour 1-inch oil into skillet and heat. Drop mix by Tablespoons (I make them much bigger) into hot oil. Fry and brown on both sides. Serve hot. Server with vegan sour cream or apple sauce. Serves 4 - 6.

Soilman, I would be very curious how your recipe differs from this one, so please post it.

Also, feel free to criticize this recipe. I won't take it personally.
#14 Old 07-25-2003, 12:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I make this every year for our Passover Seder

Carrot Tzimmes

12 Carrots - scraped

3 Medium Sweet Potatoes - peeled

10 Pitted Prunes

2-3 oz Orange Juice

pinch of nutmeg

3 Tbs Margarine (substitute a veg. marg.)

2 oz. Honey (could use vegan sweetner)

Cut carrots into 1/2 " slices

Cut sweet potatoes into 1/2" slices

Boil until tender--not soft-- about 9 minutes

Arrange evenly in a casserole dish with other ingredients

Cover with foil - bake at 350° for 30 minutes

uncover-and bake another 8-10 minutes

serves 6-8
#15 Old 07-25-2003, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Soilman help a sista out and post those recipes. Especially the latkes and the mock chicken broth. Heck I'll be happy to reduce you to a weeping shell of your former self if they suck .
#16 Old 07-26-2003, 12:25 PM
Banned

OK, here is a hint on the latkes: if you use the 1/4 inch holes in a grater, the grated pieces will be too big. My grandmother and mother used to use the next size smaller hole. They are about 1/8 inch in diameter. While the pieces this produces seem to work out fine when using egg in the recipe, if you instead leave out the egg, you will have pieces that are too small, and too much watery stuff separating from the pieces, esp after you add the salt. I tried grating the potato, half of it using each side of the grater as described. This was an improvement, but not as good as using a food processor to grate the potatoes somewhere between these 2 degrees of fineness.

Also, my latkes are "baked-broiled not fried" They take 10 minutes. Plus I have 2 "secret ingredients," one for flavor and texture and absorbing watery stuff, and the other for binding the grated pieces together and absorbing watery stuff (i would never throw that out -- it prob has more micronutrients than the actual little pieces of grated potato).

Like Thomas Edison looking for materials to make the filament of an incandescent light bulb, I think I must have tried 1000's of "secret ingredients" until I came upon the right combination. By the way, I ate almost all of my mistakes, no matter how greasy and disgusting the were.
#17 Old 07-26-2003, 12:41 PM
Banned

mushroom I can't criticise your recipe because I won't try it. I won't buy egg-replacer. It is extremely over-priced for potato starch mixed with baking powder. I might consider buying the ingredients separately, but egg-replacer label doesn't tell you the relative amounts.

I will say, for 6 potatoes, I don't think 1 tsp of salt is enough. I use 3/4 tsp for 1 potato and 1/3 of an onion.

Your recipe is pretty much the traditional recipe with egg-replacer instead of real eggs and the addition of baking powder. Frankly, I've tried baking soda, in tiny amounts, added to p. latkes, and I taste it in the finished product and it is awful. Baking powder of course contains baking soda as it's main ingredient. Plus there is more baking powder in the egg replacer if it's Ener-G brand. I think this would ruin the taste.

Another thing I'd say is that it makes a tremendous difference what kind of oil you use. You haven't really given us a full recipe if you don't specify what kind of oil.

Oh jeez, one more think, a whole inch of oil in the bottom of a skillet -- that is disgusting. The latkes, if they float, would be floating in oil; if they sink, since they are only about 1/2 inch thick, would be completely covered in oil -- deep fried, not pan-fried as is traditional. Gag.
#18 Old 07-26-2003, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

" I can't criticise your recipe because I won't try it."

"Your recipe is pretty much the traditional recipe with egg-replacer instead of real eggs and the addition of baking powder. Frankly, I've tried baking soda, in tiny amounts, added to p. latkes, and I taste it in the finished product and it is awful."

Soilman, apparently you go back on your own words and do criticise a recipe you have not tried. Someone very wise told me something once, and I will never forget it. It has to do with voting but I believe that it applies here as well. If you have not voted to change the government, then you can't ***** about it.

If you have not tried a recipe, please do not add any comments on it since almost all of your comments thus far have been negative. Whatever you have against me it shows in any of the posts or threads I have started.

To the moderators- Soilmans critiques are not valid. I am now very leary of posting anything on this board for fear of being attacked with critisizm that is in no way constructive. If you do exist, I would suggest talking to him. I am done playing games and arguing, it is childish. More then one post citisizing a recipe he refuses to try is ridiculus, not to mention hurtful to others who would like to try his recipes which he is apparently unwilling to share.
#19 Old 07-26-2003, 07:25 PM
Banned

Wiccanveg I think you are over-reacting to my criticism of mushrooms recipe, not long after, I admit it, I said i can't criticise it because I won't try it. It was all in good fun. Mushroom said "soilman... feel free to criticize this recipe. I won't take it personally," so I took her at her word and came up with a criticism. It is not an attack on mushroom, and certainly it is not an attack on you.
#20 Old 07-26-2003, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Soilman, yes 1 inch is a lot...I guess I actually use about half an inch. It is still a lot of oil, though. We don't eat them very often...maybe a few times a year. Also, I salt each one after they are done cooking.

But they are delicious

I use vegetable or canola oil.
#21 Old 07-26-2003, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Soilman, I'll accept that as some form of an apology since I apparently happened to miss mushrooms request. So you have mine as well.
#22 Old 07-26-2003, 07:54 PM
Banned

Wiccanveg writes:

===============

So you have mine as well.

==========

I have your what, -- as well as what?
#23 Old 07-26-2003, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

It says what it says Soilman, that you have my apology as well.
#24 Old 07-27-2003, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey! Where's that mock chicken broth recipe? I'm dyin' here. I've been crafting a veg soup recipe in my mind that uses all of the lovely veggies available right now with noodles or barley added (I'm craving barley lately, as disturbing as that sounds). I've already purchased our groceries for the week, but I'll certainly make the broth next week if you'll cough up the recipe, Soilman. Howz about it?
#25 Old 08-02-2003, 12:20 AM
Beginner

I'm still curious -- what can a Jewish vegan prepare for a hearty Passover dinner? What can you prepare for a vegan. Pesadich bag lunch?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page