"Safe" Fast Food????? (What are my options) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-19-2006, 08:06 AM

With all the discussion of hidden animal products I have become even more unsure of my fast food options. I try to stay away from fast food. However there are times that needing to pull through a drive thru are inevitable.

I was hoping the veteran veggies amoung you can give me a few "safe options". I do eat dairy and egg but I try to avoid them outside of home because I can't get organic selections.

So whats out there???

AM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-19-2006, 08:22 AM
Veggie Regular

At Burger King the French Fries and Onion Rings are both vegan. The fries are cooked in their own frier, but the onion rings are not. The BK Veggie burger contains egg whites, but it otherwise vegetarian, and is cooked in the microwave. The buns are vegan. The side salad is safe. The apple pies are vegan, but other deserts are all ovo-lacto vegetarian. For breakfast, the french toast sticks contain whey, but no egg products. The hash browns are vegan.

At Taco Bell many of the options can be made vegan by ordering it "Fresco Style" without meat or cheese. The 7 Layer Burrito fresco style is a favorite of mine. The sour cream at taco bell does contain gelatin ("fresco style" replaces the cheese and sour cream with pico salsa).

At McDonald's you can order a salad without meat or cheese and get the vinagrette dressing. The mcdonaldland cookies are vegan.

At Subway the Italian bread is vegan. You can order a veggie sub on white bread with all the toppings and hold the cheese if you're vegan. The VeggieMax burger contains egg whites.

At KFC the potato wedges are vegan, but cooked in a shared frier. The corn on the cob can be requested without butter. Most of the other side dishes are all ovo-lacto vegetarian. According to the website some KFC restaurants add bacon pieces to the green beans, and chicken seasoning to the rice.

At Wendys the fries are vegan, but cooked in a shared frier. You can get a plain baked potato or a side salad. You can get a Garden Sensation Salad without meat and cheese. The yogurt contains gelatin.

At Fazolis, the breadsticks are vegan if you request they make a batch without the butter seasoning. The marinara pasta sauce is vegan. The penne, whole wheat penne, and spaghetti are all vegan. The broccoli contains butter seasoning. The minestrone soup is not vegetarian.

to be continued.
#3 Old 07-19-2006, 08:57 AM
Beginner

Una Mas has a fresca burrito that is DELISH! and it's huuge! I can only eat about half of it at a time! On the menu they also have a vegetable burrito, but I haven't tried that one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-19-2006, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for posting this. I love fast food and never know what to eat. Are onion rings usually vegan? For some reason I always assume they are not.
#5 Old 07-19-2006, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

At Burger King the French Fries and Onion Rings are both vegan. The fries are cooked in their own frier, but the onion rings are not.

Is this new kpickell? A couple of years ago I read that BK started adding chicken flavoring and/or whey to their fries (I cannot remeber which). Did they switch back recently?
#6 Old 07-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone know if the turnovers at Arby's are vegan? I heard that Arby's got their turnovers from Pepperidge Farms and those are vegan. I wanted to make sure. I ate one the other day (picked the icing off, it was too sugary) and now I am wondering...
#7 Old 07-19-2006, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I just left their site and the fries are vegan. I wonder when they changed them back or if they ever really changed them at all. I don't go there, but it's nice to have another option when I am on the road or with others.
#8 Old 07-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelena View Post

Is this new kpickell? A couple of years ago I read that BK started adding chicken flavoring and/or whey to their fries (I cannot remeber which). Did they switch back recently?

Their fries have been vegan for a couple years now. Their onion rings always used to contain whey though up until just recently.
#9 Old 07-19-2006, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by krista82 View Post

Does anyone know if the turnovers at Arby's are vegan? I heard that Arby's got their turnovers from Pepperidge Farms and those are vegan. I wanted to make sure. I ate one the other day (picked the icing off, it was too sugary) and now I am wondering...

The ingredients for the Apple and Cherry turnovers are on their website and both appear to be vegan.
#10 Old 07-19-2006, 11:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I just went to their website and I couldn't find ingredient list but they did give allergen information.

I am vegan and allergic to dairy products and I was upset to find out that the curly fries have milk in them! I love the curly fries to Why the flip do they need to put milk in the fries?

The regular homestyle fries and potato cakes don't have dairy in them. I am not sure if they are vegan though. If they are, I will get the potato cakes from now on because I do like those.
#11 Old 07-19-2006, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The ingredients for the Apple and Cherry turnovers are on their website and both appear to be vegan.

Thanks for letting me know. I wasn't sure about the icing and just picked that off. Is the icing vegan too?
#12 Old 07-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Moe's is a great place if no one's mentioned it yet. All their tortillas that their burritos/etc. are made from are vegan, and their tortilla chips and salsa are also. Their guacamole is vegan, and they also have tofu you can substitute for meat. As long as you don't get cheese or sour cream on your food, all the toppings are vegan. And it's yummmmyy! A little more pricey, but worth it.

Also someone mentioned the vinegrette dressing from McDonald's is vegan. If you're not a fan of it (I'm not!), their sesame ginger is also vegan.
#13 Old 07-19-2006, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Krista, you can find the ingredient information in that Food Allergens section. Click the little arrow next to the food item you want to see and a link for "ingredients" will show up next to it for most of the items (but not all of them). The Potato Cakes do look vegan to me. There was no ingredient listing for the icing that you mentioned.
#14 Old 07-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Chipotle has a great veggie burrito and you tell them exactly what you want in it. I'm not 100% certain that the guacomole is vegan but I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you what's in it.
#15 Old 07-19-2006, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I always go to Taco Bell and order the 7-Layer Burrito without cheese and sour cream.

Delicious!
#16 Old 07-19-2006, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I like to go to any place like Jamba juice. I have a number of those around here. Those are mostly vegan. I just stay away from the ones with ice cream and frozen yogart in them. Every one of those places you can substitue soy milk/ice instead as long as the flavor isn't needed. That's my style of fast food.
#17 Old 07-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

What happened to that fast food list that Michael started way back when?
#18 Old 07-19-2006, 07:47 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandcuffedAngel View Post

I always go to Taco Bell and order the 7-Layer Burrito without cheese and sour cream.

Delicious!

Me too! (And I add two fire sauces!)

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#19 Old 07-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

What happened to that fast food list that Michael started way back when?

I think that thread was unpinned because the ingredients at fast food places changes so frequently that most of the info was getting outdated.
#20 Old 07-19-2006, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Me too! (And I add two fire sauces!)

Oh yeah. The best thing about the 7-Layer is just one fills you up. It's great.
#21 Old 07-19-2006, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually frequent pita places like the pita pit or extreme pita. You can get tons of veg friendly foods. My fav is a babaganoush pita! They also tend to be a fair bit healthier than traditional fast food places.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#22 Old 07-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

At Burger King the French Fries and Onion Rings are both vegan.

OMG, I had no idea! If I find myself at a Burger King, I'm going to order some o' those rings! Thanks!!
#23 Old 07-19-2006, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Can anyone determine whether Taco Bell's Fiesta Potatoes (WITHOUT cheese) are vegan or even vegetarian? They must be a regional thing because I can't find any nutritional information on them.

I'd love to order some and add them to a "vegan-ized" 7-layer if they were OK...

Potatoes in a burrito=YUM!
#24 Old 07-19-2006, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular

If anyone has a Qdoba Mexican Grill nearby, they offer vegetarian burritos, tacos, quesdillas, etc. The rice and beans they put in the food is vegetarian. I confirmed this through their website. Their veggies are good too. You can just get your food without cheese or sour cream if you are vegan. They also have a tortilla soup which is vegetarian and has no dairy in it. I haven't tried it yet though, but would love to.
#25 Old 07-19-2006, 09:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by krista82 View Post

If anyone has a Qdoba Mexican Grill nearby, they offer vegetarian burritos, tacos, quesdillas, etc. The rice and beans they put in the food is vegetarian. I confirmed this through their website. Their veggies are good too. You can just get your food without cheese or sour cream if you are vegan. They also have a tortilla soup which is vegetarian and has no dairy in it. I haven't tried it yet though, but would love to.

We just got one of those nearby and my mother and I have been thinking about going there.
#26 Old 07-19-2006, 09:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Can anyone determine whether Taco Bell's Fiesta Potatoes (WITHOUT cheese) are vegan or even vegetarian? They must be a regional thing because I can't find any nutritional information on them.

They're vegan! They have an ingredient statement under the "burning questions" section of their web site:

http://www.yum.com/nutrition/documen..._statement.pdf

Quote:
Potatoes in a burrito=YUM!

but what would dr. Atkins say about that?!
#27 Old 07-19-2006, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular

The Vegetarian Resource Group (vrg. org) has a "fast food guide" that is pretty comprehensive, they update it every few years... regarding hidden ingredients. Its always good to keep on top of it b/c often the companies change on a whim and may alter the ingredients.

then you have to worry how they prepare it... using the same knives to cut through sandwiches, etc. i dont know about you guys but that skeeves me out.

Lu
#28 Old 07-19-2006, 10:26 PM

I think I've heard of VRG's guide, too. Can't remember where, though. Do they really keep it updated, LucidAnne? It seems like every few years might not be often enough for most people.

I avoid fast food like the plague.
#29 Old 07-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

does anyone know if Del Taco has anything vegan?
#30 Old 07-20-2006, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenM View Post

OMG, I had no idea! If I find myself at a Burger King, I'm going to order some o' those rings! Thanks!!

SAME HERE!!! I haven't had onion rings in so long!!! (One of my favorite totally-awful-for-me foods.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page