Pasta and veggie dog? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-11-2006, 09:18 AM

ok, this may sound like a weird combination...but hear me out, lol

The other night i was trying to decide what to have for dinner; a veggie dog, or plain pasta (preferably spaghetti)

now, i was like "wait a sec, how about i make both and just cut up the veggie dog and mix it into the pasta...i used to do that with the veggie ham slices, why not the veggie dog?"

but then i wasn't sure..., so i just made plain pasta lol

has anyone else done any combo's similar to this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Banned

Sure, fake bacon or fake pastrami chopped and sauted in olive oil with garlic, spinach and sun-blushed tomatoes mixed into cooked spageghetti with toasted pine nuts sprinkled on top.

A veggie dog is really just another kind of sausage. Use them like you would any other sausage.
#3 Old 07-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular

No, but I don't think it's too unusually. Omnivores can buy Spaghetti-O's and Franks alongside Spaghetti-O's with Meatballs in almost any grocery store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Banned

yeah, i mix everything in together and if it tastes good, then thats great! i don't really go with any food rules (probably cos i don't know them, lol).

my spagetti and pasta ends up with anything and everything in it, in assorted combinations, including kidneybeans, butterbeans, borletti beans, 6 bean mix, teeny tiny homemade falafels, leftover nutloaf/nutburgers rolled into meatballs, corn, french beans and broccolli, baby tomato wedges, pan fried zuccinni slices and garlic, chunks/crumbles of soy protein or real veggie based vegeburgers, sliced tofu sausages, tofu burgers, etc etc etc.

basically whatever is lying around, and tastes nice, goes in there- same with any food, not just pasta! stops it getting boring, and ups the veggie/protein content too!

throw it all in there, go on, go for it..... rebel!
#5 Old 07-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Banned

I do sliced tofurkey italian sausage and pasta.

But plain? Hell naw...I put on:

salt

pepper

olive oil

red wine vinegar

nutritional yeast

garlic powder

olive garnish.

ebola
#6 Old 07-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

The only think I think I wouldn't try mixing with pasta was another starch, like I wouldn't make spaghetti and rice (then again there is rice pilaf...), or spaghetti and potatoes... but I do make pasta with veg canadian bacon sauteed in olive oil with garlic and then serve it in pasta with tomatoes and peas. It's super yummy.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 07-11-2006, 02:53 PM
Beginner

Rabid_child don't forget about ricaroni! Its rice and pasta together. Mmmmm(i hate the stuff actuall ,but alot of people seem to love it).
#8 Old 07-11-2006, 03:04 PM
Veggie Regular

My teens put cut up Yves tofu dogs in their Mac and "cheeze" all the time. Seems fine to me.
#9 Old 07-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Pasta can have any sauce, from simple and plain (olive oil, a few spices, to very wierd combos. You can make plain marinara or something near a stir-fry with tofu in it. Franks and noodles used to be a staple at my house when I was a kid (they were egg noodles). Shells or elbows with veg chili is great too for "chili-mac."
#10 Old 08-30-2006, 08:47 PM

While I haven't tried that particular combination, I'm craving those infamous canned biscuits from the refrigerator section, baked with the "hot dogs" and "cheese" in them. It's the first meat-like kid-friendly food craving I've had that isn't satisfied by Bacos.

I'm SO glad we have soy dawgs and recipes for non-dairy animal-friendly cheezes! I'm also glad my local grocer stocks canned biscuits that aren't made with lard...
#11 Old 08-30-2006, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh I've never tried adding a slice of cheese to the hot dog crescent rolls. Will have to try that, as I think I even have some soy cheese slices in my fridge now.
#12 Old 08-31-2006, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

The only think I think I wouldn't try mixing with pasta was another starch, like I wouldn't make spaghetti and rice (then again there is rice pilaf...), or spaghetti and potatoes... but I do make pasta with veg canadian bacon sauteed in olive oil with garlic and then serve it in pasta with tomatoes and peas. It's super yummy.

That sounds a lot like a veggie version of carbonara! Yummmmm....

As for pasta and potatoes, my Italian Farmhouse Cookbook has a recipe for Pasta e Patate and it says, "Pasta e patate can be found throughout Italy. It's a traditional peasant dish guaranteed, with its mix of two starches, to fill empty stomachs, and typical to the Italian tradition, it happens to taste just delicious, too." It's basically braised onions and potatoes with tomato sauce and pasta mixed in, and olive oil or hot pepper oil drizzled over. It's a fairly dry mix, as opposed to being really saucy.

But anyway, hot dogs and mac & cheese where one of my childhood faves-- why not do it with veggie dogs?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page