Bubble tea-is it veg*n? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

So I was having this discussion about how you can get bubble tea w/out dairy. Then they told me the tapioca balls are made w/ gelatin!!!! Gross.

I really like bubble tea. Is there a standard or how do I find out-asking people who serve have no idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

From what I understand, some flavours of bubble tea contain dairy in the powdered mix, so just substituting soy milk doesn't work.

Tapioca balls are made from tapioca, a tuber. You can also get jellies in bubble tea here -- they tend to be made with agar, but of course you can ask to see the label.
#3 Old 07-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

↑↑ What cookingVeg said.

How to have your tea without dairy?

1. Find a boba shop that sells different flavors.

2. Order one of the fruit flavors (my favorite is passionfruit-black tea.

Or, cook your own tapioca pearls at home. You can find them at a lot of Asian markets or online, dry or partially cooked, packed in vacuum-sealed bags. Here's one source: http://www.bobateadirect.com/Boba-Ta...earls-c-1.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't want just plain or fruity tea-the tapioca balls are the best part. This is what the issue is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenM View Post

↑↑ What cookingVeg said.

How to have your tea without dairy?

1. Find a boba shop that sells different flavors.

2. Order one of the fruit flavors (my favorite is passionfruit-black tea.

Or, cook your own tapioca pearls at home. You can find them at a lot of Asian markets or online, dry or partially cooked, packed in vacuum-sealed bags. Here's one source: http://www.bobateadirect.com/Boba-Ta...earls-c-1.html

#5 Old 07-10-2006, 12:28 PM
Veggie Regular

You're allowed to order a non-milk flavored drink/tea WITH tapioca balls.
#6 Old 07-10-2006, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

My kids love the stuff, so I checked at the Boba Tea place we go to, and the mix they use is dairy-free and the tapioca is just that - tapioca - no geletin or anything.

I'm sure it could vary from place to place however, so it wouldn't hurt to read labels/ask questions. Always a good policy anyways.
#7 Old 07-10-2006, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

"Boba Tea Company" soaks the tapioca balls in honey. Otherwise, they are vegetarian.
#8 Old 07-10-2006, 01:24 PM

IS there any brand name yogurt fruit flavored that does not contain gelatin ?Thanks sorry new and can't figure out the posting yet
#9 Old 07-10-2006, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

So tapioca in general is veg*n?
#10 Old 07-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Tapioca is Tapioca. The ingredient is Tapioca. You can make other things out of Tapioca, like tapioca flour, but you can't make other things into real tapioca... Does that make sense? That's like asking "Hey, what's that carrot made of?" It's made of carrot, as it is a carrot (chemicals composition and such aside). Tapioca is made of tapioca, which is not gelatin... it's tapioca.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#11 Old 07-10-2006, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umasmommy View Post

IS there any brand name yogurt fruit flavored that does not contain gelatin ?Thanks sorry new and can't figure out the posting yet

Nancys
#12 Old 07-29-2009, 05:41 PM

Meaning it does not have Animal skins or bones in it.
#13 Old 07-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Tapioca is veg*n. No gelatin. Trust me, I come from the land where bubble tea was invented.

Depending on whether or not the companies soak it in honey is a different story.

The Vegan ABC's: East Meets West, VEGAN STYLE! A blog detailing the edibles in the life of an ABC (American-born Chinese) vegan.
http://theveganabc.blogspot.com/
#14 Old 07-30-2009, 04:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok I'm totally confused by bubble tea. I've never tried it before. Is it a hot tea with little balls in it? Cause that sounds pretty nasty. Or is it more like a shake/smoothie type drink?
#15 Old 07-30-2009, 06:10 AM
Veggie Regular

It's iced tea with large tapioca pearls in it.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#16 Old 07-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Thanks for the info. Sounds interesting. I might have to try it if I ever see it anywhere.
#17 Old 07-31-2009, 01:02 PM

Oh I'm glad someone brought up bubble tea. I bought some tapioca balls the other day hoping to recreate a mango soup pudding I had at a restarant ages ago. It was ok but my balls were bland

The ones that I had at the chinese were sweet, a bit chewy and generally ace. I tried boiling them in sugar water but it didn't really help. Does anybody have a good recipe/method for getting the them like that whatever they're in, tea, whatever?
#18 Old 08-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Beginner

I'm having one now! Yummmmmm!
#19 Old 08-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemot View Post

Oh I'm glad someone brought up bubble tea. I bought some tapioca balls the other day hoping to recreate a mango soup pudding I had at a restarant ages ago. It was ok but my balls were bland

The ones that I had at the chinese were sweet, a bit chewy and generally ace. I tried boiling them in sugar water but it didn't really help. Does anybody have a good recipe/method for getting the them like that whatever they're in, tea, whatever?

I'll look into it for you. My mom's friend owns a whole chain of bubble tea stores in the DC Metropolitan area.

And to fadeaway1289 : i like my drinks with balls . No really, you should try it. It's addictive.

The Vegan ABC's: East Meets West, VEGAN STYLE! A blog detailing the edibles in the life of an ABC (American-born Chinese) vegan.
#20 Old 08-07-2009, 09:15 PM

Oriental Asians don't typically use gelatin in their food. All the "jelly" like desserts I eat are made from agar agar. The jelly used in the bubble tea stores seem to be agar agar texture, but since I'm not sure, I avoid it now. From what I've always understood, the tapioca balls are just tapioca. A lot of places call the jelly (something else you can get if you don't want tapioca) gelatin, but I don't know if the employees really know the difference when they label things... I've seen a lot of places label the jelly as gelatin, but if you've ever tried it, the texture is a lot like agar agar.

The only asian dessert I can think of that may use gelatin is the almond flavored jello-like dessert usually mixed with canned fruit. I think traditionally it is made with agar agar, as historically I think that's what asians used, but some brands use gelatin now.
#21 Old 08-07-2009, 10:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That's IT? I feel so ripped off, now.

2 questions then:

1. Can you use any ice tea or should it be a special kind?

2. Should the tapioca pearls be cooked in any way before adding to the tea?
#22 Old 08-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

2 questions then:

2. Should the tapioca pearls be cooked in any way before adding to the tea?

Interesting, I wouldn't compare it to Iced Tea at all? I'm sure the drink varies depending on where you get it? The only Bubble Tea I've had (around here and in Albuquerque) was thicker, creamier and more fruity than "iced tea".

Almost like the texture and consistancy of Chocolate milk but instead of chocolate think peach flavored or "tea flavored" or virtually ANYTHING flavored... with ice cubes AND the very large tapioca pearls the size of a blueberry (the ones I've had were purple too, not translucent white).

The milky base can be soy or dairy milk. Most often they'll tell you the base is "non-dairy" which basically means it's the same as "non-dairy"-coffee-creamer-type stuff... there usually ARE a few miniscule milk derived trace ingredients if they'll let you read the package. But sometimes not too!! Never hurts to check!!

4EG, there's a place in Tacoma, we should go!! (It's right next to that new Asian Market on South Tacoma Way).
#23 Old 08-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

4EG, there's a place in Tacoma, we should go!! (It's right next to that new Asian Market on South Tacoma Way).

OOOH! Sounds GOOD - and I've been wanting to go to that new Asian market ever since it opened.
#24 Old 08-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

2 questions then:

....It's really just red tea or green tea with ice and sugar and milk and tapioca pearls...

#25 Old 08-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you have to cook the pearls at all and if so, how?

Sorry if that sounds stupid, but I've never used tapioca pearls in my life so I'm really unsure how to handle them...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page