Kung Pao China Bistro's veg meat - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-22-2003, 06:40 PM
Beginner

Is anyone else familiar with Kung Pao China Bistro in West Hollywood, CA?

There is also one in Studio City, CA.

They offer vegetarian "meat"...orange "chicken", "scallops" etc.

I haven't had the orange "chicken" since we went vegan, because I'm afraid that it has bean breaded with egg and flour...and fried, of course...but the Studio City location will heat up the "chicken" without battering or frying it, and will put it on a bed of spinach with some peanut sauce. it's really yummy.

I guess my real question here is - does anyone have any clue what chinese buddhist "meats" are made of? it has a different textre than seitan...

Kung Pao Bistro told me the get it from Taiwan...I haven't seen anything similar in asian markets...so if anyone has any info, I'd appreciate it! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-22-2003, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

we have a restaurant here in vancouver that serves very similar sounding things, like vegan lemon "chicken". they say it is made out of soy protein. some of their mock meats are seitan/gluten, but they always specify which ones.
#3 Old 07-23-2003, 11:47 AM
Beginner

Thanks for the reply Kreeli!

It must be the same stuff...I want to try to hunt it down in the asian markets around here cuz it's soooo yummy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-23-2003, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

You know what's great, but really freaky? Vegetarian Duck. Looks like meat, tastes like meat---not meat.
#5 Old 07-24-2003, 01:33 PM
Beginner

mock duck is wild! my husband got it at this place called Sante La Brea here in Los Angeles. We were blown away!
#6 Old 07-24-2003, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't actually had mock duck at Sante. Didn't realize that had it! I like their risottos and vegan pancakes.

As for Kung Pao Bistro, I go there all the time. It's right next to the Whole Foods I frequent. The problem with those mock meats is that often come from overseas, so there's no ingredient listing and so forth. I did talk to the manager, who is a really nice guy, and he insisted there were no animal ingredients. So, to reward the guy for having such an extensive (and even separate!) veggie menu, I give him the benefit of the doubt. And I'm glad I do! The Veggie Orange Chicken is awesome, and you can use the same mock meat instead of beef in their Beef w/Broccoli recipe, too. I haven't been there in a while, and now I'm craving it again. I'm trying to eat more whole foods, and less textured protein-based stuff.

Have you been to Astro Burger at Melrose and Gower? They actually have a vegan menu!!!
#7 Old 07-25-2003, 06:24 PM
Beginner

yeah! the mock duck is on Sante's "specials" menu...

cool! so the orange chicken is safe! yayaya! I'm so excited : )

I miss that stuff! The Dan Dan noodle is really good too...peanut sauce and spinach over noodles. I've gotta try the mock beef w/broccoli! My mom still lives in the house I grew up in, which is just up the street from Kung Pao and whole foods...and we pick up from there all of the time.

yeah! I saw the sign on astro burger! we've wanted to check it out! how wild!

have you been to Orean Express on Lake in Pasadena? veg fast food!
#8 Old 07-25-2003, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I want to check out Orean, but it's not very fast if you have to drive all the way out there to get it!

And now I don't even drive, so next time you go, you're going to have to give my wife and I ride to go with you.
#9 Old 07-28-2003, 04:18 PM
Beginner

epski - i totally agree that Orean is not fast if you have to drive there! we just swing by when we happen to be in the neighboorhood. : )
#10 Old 07-28-2003, 09:34 PM
Veggie Regular

a bit off topic...but, does anyone know if fried tofu in chinese food is typically made with egg?
#11 Old 07-28-2003, 11:12 PM
Veggie Regular

fried tofu is usually that - fried tofu. Nothing else.

If the chinese food is "mock" something, it is usually 100% vegan. I've never come across any mock meats that are chinese and NOT vegan. The reason is because they are part of many buddhists' diets and therefore cannot contain any animal products. So, they shouldn't have any egg, dairy, mysterious flavorings etc...

enjoy! sounds good. i love chinese mock meats. especially the hot pots. mmmmm!

amy
#12 Old 07-28-2003, 11:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Not all chinese mock meats are 100% vegan. Some are made with whey and/or egg whites.
#13 Old 07-30-2003, 12:09 AM
Beginner

hmmm....

thanks for the input everyone : )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page