i miss pizza! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-23-2006, 10:51 AM

My family had pizza last night and i wanted some real bad! I had oatmeal instead, wow! Since my mom buys our food i have to convince her to buy SOME vegetarian things and she goes to vons alot so theres not much stuff to buy (I can't wait till i get a job and get out of high school) So I want to know if theres like a vegetarian pizza to buy-very quick and easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I just had cheeseless pizza for the first time last night. The pizza place we went to kindly left the cheese off of half of one of the pizzas for me. It was so loaded up with veggies, I barely even noticed the lack of cheese (it had zucchini, green peppers, mushrooms and artichoke hearts ) When my family orders pizza, I make my own personal pizza with whole wheat flat bread, pizza sauce, soy cheese and whatever veggies I've got in the fridge. I've also seen frozen cheeseless and soy cheese pizzas in the store (made by Amy's.) I haven't tried them but they look good. Amy's other stuff is really good.

The Vons that I go to has a big health food section with lots of good vegetarian food. Not as much as the health food store I do most of my shopping at but it works when I need to make a quick grocery run.
#3 Old 06-23-2006, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I can only think of Amy's pizza, but that stuff is almost 3 times the price of a regular pizza.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-23-2006, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbchef3 View Post

My family had pizza last night and i wanted some real bad! I had oatmeal instead, wow! Since my mom buys our food i have to convince her to buy SOME vegetarian things and she goes to vons alot so theres not much stuff to buy (I can't wait till i get a job and get out of high school) So I want to know if theres like a vegetarian pizza to buy-very quick and easy.

I've been vegan for a looooong time, but from what I remember, they had those cheap "Genos" (I think that's the brand) cheese pizzas for 2 for $5. Don't know if they still make them, but I'm sure you can find cheese only pizzas in the frozen food section at virtually every grocery store.

-Kevin
#5 Old 06-23-2006, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbchef3 View Post

I feel your pain. Pizza is one of the foods that I miss the most since I became vegan. Congrats for resisting temptation and eating that oatmeal!
#6 Old 06-23-2006, 11:48 AM

i can't do the cheese only thing because i don't eat cheese or milk either. I think i'll try soy cheese but that sounds yucky! I'm really finicky with foods. One bad problem for me is that I don't like wheat bread-i can eat other whole wheat products but no wheat bread for me, yuck! but white bread has milk and stuff and eggs. So I hope the pizza crust doesn't have that either.
#7 Old 06-23-2006, 11:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Pizza crust usually doesn't have milk or eggs in it. Soy cheese really isn't bad. I think it tastes better than lowfat cheese. Serioulsy try pizza without cheese. Just get more veggies on it to compensate. Most pizza places are willing to not put cheese on half the pizza if you ask them to.
#8 Old 06-23-2006, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I tried the boca pizza-- the fake peparonies tasted like cardboard-- for the price it was really not that good. Other than making your own, I really can't think of any ready made, or take out that is strictly vegetarian. I know some fancier Italian places here make wonderful take-out vegetarian Lasagnia. Perhaps you could eat Lasagnia or pasta instead? Pardon me for adding I think it was mean for your parents and family to allow you to eat oatmeal while they partook in pizza. They should have at least supplied you with a pasta alternative. Sorry you had to go through that.
#9 Old 06-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

We just had pizza last night too. It was only frozen, but I fixed pepperoni for the boys and cheese for my daughter.

I on the other hand made personal pizzas for myself on pita bread. Used a bit of spaghetti sauce, added some chopped up green & black olives, chopped artichoke hearts, some grilled onions & green peppers & topped it all off with some sun-dried tomatoes. I have to admit it was pretty tasty.

I also thought about using some cooked & drained broccoli, but I was lazy!

But for ordering out, I've never been to a pizza place yet that doesn't offer some type of veggie pizza, and I just ask for no cheese. I've had a few weird looks from the waiters, but hey who cares, kwim?

Don't give up your pizza!! Just compromise, and order half with no cheese & veggies!

Michelle in N.Fl.

Edited to add:I just realized that you were asking about vegetarian pizza, so you don't even have to ask them to omit the cheese, just add whatever veggies you like and your all set!
#10 Old 06-23-2006, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Pizza is so easy to make you might consider voluteering to make pizza for your family, and make no-cheese pizza for yourself. Really, homemade pizza is so easy, cheap, and much better tasting than storebought. I can't remember how long it's been since I ate a store or restaurant pizza. It might be over ten years. When I was on a super-low-sodium diet I learned to make cheeseless pizza. You can load it up with all kinds of veggies.
#11 Old 06-23-2006, 12:49 PM

The Boca pizza is good, the fake pepperoni tends to get hard though.

I like to buy fake pepperoni and put them on cheese pizza.
#12 Old 06-23-2006, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I miss cheese pizza
#13 Old 06-23-2006, 03:22 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I miss cheese pizza

Strangely, I don't - a loaded veggie pizza is wonderful to me. When I make them at home I pile on carmelized onions, sauteed mushrooms and wilted spinach. I add lots of fresh basil and crushed red pepper flakes - YUM!

I just bought a pre-made pizza crust at the grocercy store, which to the best of my knowledge, was actually vegan. I don't know the brand, but it came in a maroon bag - like Boboli - but was the "sour dough" flavor. There were other flavors too, but it looked like they had either cheese or honey. One crust fed 3 here, with a salad. Take a look around the store the next time you go, you may find more options than you think!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#14 Old 06-23-2006, 03:27 PM

I'm a bit envious of those who love veggie pizzas. I wish I liked them as much as I did cheese pizza. I love vegetables, but for some reason once it's on a pizza, it's not the same. It's just different when it's cheeseless, I guess.
#15 Old 06-23-2006, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't miss "dairy" cheese pizza, but that's because I fell in love with Vegan Gourmet, although I know some people don't prefer it.
#16 Old 06-23-2006, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Make your own pizza! There's lots of recipes for dough and sauce online (or just get a premade crust, but homemade tastes better) and you can put whatever you want on top. If you're missing cheese pizza, try a veggie pizza with a cheezy sauce made out of nutritional yeast or FYH cheese. I usually top my pizza with sauce, all kinds of veggies roasted with olive oil and spices, and maybe a cheezy sauce. I've found that I prefer no cheezyness.

I highly recommend Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, it has a pizza section with dough, sauce and pizza topping recipes. And everything else about that book is amazing, especially if you're a new vegan and looking for delicious things to eat.
#17 Old 06-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sunflower* View Post

If you're missing cheese pizza, try a veggie pizza with a cheezy sauce made out of nutritional yeast or FYH cheese. I usually top my pizza with sauce, all kinds of veggies roasted with olive oil and spices, and maybe a cheezy sauce.

This is the only thing I haven't tried yet, the cheese sauce with nutritional yeast. I definitely have to give it a go since I bought every possible cheese substitute and I threw all of them in the garbage. Blech.
#18 Old 06-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I tried the nutritional yeast sauce. I thought it was horrible.
#19 Old 06-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Drenna Burton blogged about quick and easy flatbread pizza today: http://vivelevegan.blogspot.com/2006...zza-pizza.html
#20 Old 06-23-2006, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post

I tried the nutritional yeast sauce. I thought it was horrible.

I did, too. It was for macaroni and cheese, though. Even though I didn't expect it to taste at all like cheese, it tasted really weird. Maybe I messed up the recipe or something.
#21 Old 06-23-2006, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, boo hoo. I'll give a shot anyway. I do use nutritional yeast on almost everything anyway, so maybe it won't taste that bad to me. I'm mostly just really curious now.
#22 Old 06-23-2006, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

It does taste really weird. I don't think you messed up. I tried a couple of times, same result.

ETA: Oops. That was meant for Veggiejanie.
#23 Old 06-23-2006, 04:00 PM

ahhh pizza! we make pizza at home and i just leave off the cheese. you may also be able to order a cheeseless pie at your local pizza place.
#24 Old 06-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

I'm a bit envious of those who love veggie pizzas. I wish I liked them as much as I did cheese pizza. I love vegetables, but for some reason once it's on a pizza, it's not the same. It's just different when it's cheeseless, I guess.

Yeah same here.

My favorite food in the whole world used to be double cheese pizza with NO other toppings. It has been nearly two years since I've had cow's milk cheese on pizza, and nothing has taken its place. And yes, I've tried all kinds of things.
#25 Old 06-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I am glad I like cheeseless pizza.

For me the key is eggplant. Something about it reminds me enough of cheese. I have no idea why though - I guess it is more dense than other veggies...?
#26 Old 06-23-2006, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

BTW - I love your signaure Meatless:

as a vegan, every meal I eat is a happy meal.
#27 Old 06-23-2006, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaspice View Post

BTW - I love your signaure Meatless:

as a vegan, every meal I eat is a happy meal.

I hate eggplant.

Thanks, it's something someone said on a vegan board, and I thought it was cute.
#28 Old 06-23-2006, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post

It does taste really weird. I don't think you messed up. I tried a couple of times, same result.

ETA: Oops. That was meant for Veggiejanie.

Oh, darn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

Yeah same here.

My favorite food in the whole world used to be double cheese pizza with NO other toppings. It has been nearly two years since I've had cow's milk cheese on pizza, and nothing has taken its place. And yes, I've tried all kinds of things.

SAME HERE! I used to order it with no sauce and extra cheese. For me, the cheese is what makes the pizza.

And it doesn't help that I have a $5-for-a-large-pizza-pizza-shop only a couple steps from my apartment!!
#29 Old 06-24-2006, 01:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flvegnewbie View Post

But for ordering out, I've never been to a pizza place yet that doesn't offer some type of veggie pizza, and I just ask for no cheese.

I talked to a friend at work today and that is what he said. Many people cant stand or tolerate so much cheese, and pizza sauce is usually not made with meat (ask though). All you need to do is buy a veggi-only pizza with sauce but no cheese. Many "Pizzas" like Foccacia are made strictly with a bit of olive oil, herbs and veggies, usually things like olives and onions on the top.
#30 Old 06-24-2006, 05:24 AM
Veggie Regular

A place opened up near where I work and they have a bruschetta pizza that is pretty good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page