Highlighting Veg*n Soy-Free & Gluten-Free Foods - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-19-2006, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Okay... since my nursing baby isn't tolerating soy or wheat/gluten so well, I've been experimenting in the soy-free, gluten-free arena. (Vegan, of course.) I figured I'd start a thread for highlighting these yummy (but often forgotten) foods.

So... I had totally forgotten that I had The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen by Donna Klein in my pantry. I had been looking for ways to use those 2 tubes of pre-made polenta. Boy did I find ways. I received several ideas (from the thread I started asking about this very question) which I'll be trying on more tubes of polenta. I, also, found two DELISH recipes in this cookbook. So, three days ago, I made:

==> The first one I made was a polenta topped with Caponata... which is a mixture of sauteed onion, garlic, green olives and kalamata olives and chopped baked eggplant, and tomatoes. HmmmMMMMmmMMMM.

==> Then, I also made a Porcini Mushroom mixture and topped this on polenta. I rehydrated porcini's and mixed them with butten mushrooms. (While the recipe didn't call for it, I decided to toss in a small mixture of ****akes, oysters, baby portabellas, etc, too. Yeah, I'm a mushroom fiend.) This made more than I expected... it was YUMMY. So, the leftovers are going on a GF SF pizza later today.

Wish I had taken pix, though. I will in the future.

So... what did you make that was SF GF today?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I should update this b/c I tried all day to post this thread thinking the board was down. Turns out, it didn't like the use of the word "vegan" in the title. (huh?)

But anyway...

I made that gluten-free pizza last night. That was the first time I'd worked with a gluten-free yeast item. Was I glad I used a mix b/c I would have thought I'd made a super mistake and tossed it before baking. See, I used Arrowhead Mills GF pizza mix, and once mixed/"risen", it came out REALLY goopy. But I followed through just to see. The crust actually turned out to my surprise... and better than I thought it would. The pizza turned out yummy. I used the remaining porcini mushroom mixture on there along with chopped sun-dried tomatoes (that had been packed in oil - ), chopped artichoke hearts, home-made tomato sauce and topped with fresh basil leaves. YUM!

Hubby wasn't thrilled with it though. He didn't like the crust part... course I didn't tell him it was GF! LOL!. Course, that means the leftovers are all mine, all mine, all mine!!!!
#3 Old 06-19-2006, 10:09 AM

Those dishes sound delicious!

I have Celiac Sprue, and my baby, up until recently, couldn't tolerate soy in my diet either. I've recently been able to introduce very small quantities of soy without his tummy getting upset.

Tonight we're having black beans & rice with avocado, tomato and cilantro garnish, salad of mixed greens with papaya-lime dressing and fresh strawberries for dessert.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-19-2006, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Why do I read Oysters in your second recipe? Oysters would definitely NOT be vegan.

ETA: oh yeah, and I am happy that you are able to find some soy-free, gluten-free foods. I wish you luck there.
#5 Old 06-19-2006, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueveggie14 View Post

Why do I read Oysters in your second recipe? Oysters would definitely NOT be vegan.

She's referring to Oyster Mushrooms. They're tasty!
#6 Old 06-19-2006, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yes, those would be oyster mushrooms, indeed.

Thanks for the well wishes, too, Trueveggie. Once I got a good nudge start from Hoodedclawjen, it became much easier to open my eyes to various options.

Of course, I've also been cooking thai dishes, lately, too. (Next to Italian/Mediterranean food, Thai comes in a close second - )

Btw, Snowbunny, I like your meal for the night. I may do that later in the week. Did you follow a particular recipe or just inspire and go for it?

ETA: Oh and I had to laugh when I saw my original post and the system auto bleeped my favorite mushroom name! s-h-i-t-a-k-e.
#7 Old 06-20-2006, 05:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Are there a lot of gluten free recipes in The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen?
#8 Old 06-20-2006, 07:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbunnicula View Post

Are there a lot of gluten free recipes in The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen?

I'm not sure. However...I'll scan through more of the book today and let you know.
#9 Old 06-20-2006, 07:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Btw... yesterday, I had a slice of leftover pizza for one meal (yum!) and a hefty lentil burger (which should really be renamed veggie burger with what I did to it when I made them 2 weeks ago [and then froze a bunch of them, in case you were wondering]). The burger is quite delicious, too.
#10 Old 06-20-2006, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Btw, Snowbunny, I like your meal for the night. I may do that later in the week. Did you follow a particular recipe or just inspire and go for it?

For the BB and Rice, I just go for it. I usually put some beans in the crockpot over the weekend and store them in the freezer then sautee them in oil with lots of spices (chili powder, cayenne, cumin and oregano) and serve with rice.

Tonight we're having Lentil Bolognese over Brown Rice Spaghetti, Salad of Field Greens and cherries for dessert.

Have you tried the Amazing Wheat-free Bread Mix or the Luscious Chocolate Cake Mix by Pamela's Products? They're GF, SF and Vegan. It doesn't taste like you're missing anything either.
#11 Old 06-21-2006, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

In case anyone is interested, I thought that I would cross-post a list that I made for another forum of vegan, gluten free websites and books that I like:

Yahoo! Vegan and Gluten Free: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Vegan-and-Gluten-Free/

GFCF Cooking Australia (not all vegan): http://www.gfcf.jassinc.com/

Vitalita Free Cookbooks (all vegan, mostly gluten free): http://www.vitalita.com/cookbooks.html

Savory Palate recipes (not all vegan): http://www.savorypalate.com/recipes.aspx

I would also suggest checking out the following books:

Food Allergy Survival Guide by Vesanto Melina, Jo Stepaniak, and Dina Aronson (all vegan and gluten free):

http://www.foodallergysurvivalguide.com/

Cooking Free by Carol Fenster (not vegan but contains vegan options for most of the baked goods and desserts):

http://www.savorypalate.com/cooking_free.asp
#12 Old 06-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I just tried DeBoles Rice Lasagna noodles and I thought of you (Orapunzel).

I found them at my regular grocery store in West Virginia. The ingredients are: rice flour and rice bran extract. It also says all natural, no preservatives or chemicals added.

My lasagna came out good. Although I'm not sure what you would fill yours with. If you find a soy-free, gluten-free lasagna recipe.... these rice lasagna noodles are good to use. Another bonus is they are oven-ready. You don't have to boil them first.
#13 Old 06-27-2006, 06:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I just tried DeBoles Rice Lasagna noodles and I thought of you (Orapunzel).

I wonder if those are the same ones I found a while back. I tried them but my first use wasn't spectacular. Needed MUCH more sauce (I like my lasagna very moist.).

Next time I'm in the store, I'll have to see if that's the same brand. But... MMMMMMMM lasagna (one of my very favorite dishes of all time - *sigh*).
#14 Old 06-27-2006, 07:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't been at my computer much the past few days but I DID manage to take some pix of some foods we've consumed around here, lately.

So... the other day, I made a bunch of GF waffles. From scratch. Came out really yummy. This is a picture of a waffle with strawberries and a DF topping but... whoops, it's not soy-free, sorry - this was one I gave to my elder son as a special treat.

I ate (more than I should have) with strawberries, blueberries and maple syrup - YUM!
#15 Old 06-27-2006, 07:04 AM
Veggie Regular

5 days ago, I made 2 versions of Chana Masala... this is the one w/o the coconut milk in it. (I forgot to take a picture of the other one and only remembered after we had already wolfed it down.)
#16 Old 06-27-2006, 07:07 AM
Veggie Regular

4 days ago I made the Chickpea Sammich... except I used a corn tortilla instead of bread. (Since I have yet to find a decent GF bread.)

As for the recipe to this, someone posted it in the chickpea thread we had about a month (or two) ago.

Anyway, I made it and since I was out of pickles, I used a relish, red onions and lettuce to top. YUM! (Hubby never got to try this b/c I ate it all - LOL!)
#17 Old 06-27-2006, 07:11 AM
Veggie Regular

3 days ago, I made a Thai dish (from the Thai Kitchen's Lemongrass Chili BOX). I came out GREAT. I didn't use any meat analogs, of course - just a whole bag of cascadian farms Chinese Veggies and half a bag of broc florets.
#18 Old 06-27-2006, 07:24 AM
Banned

i made a lush lasagne the other day.... tinkiyada rice pasta lasagne sheets (you gotta pre-cook it but its easy and doesn't turn to mush), a big can of brown lentils, half a jar of pasta sauce (one of the ones with veggies in it), a carrot, a parsnip, (was lying around, lol) a zuccinni, an onion, and an eggplant- i just nuked the carrot and parsnip a bit, then sauted the chopped veggies with some garlic and loads of oregano, mixed in the pasta sauce and brown lentils, added some herbs and a bit of tomato paste, and layered it all up in 2 of those half size bread pans and put them in the oven for 30 mins or so. it was sooo good! io was going to make some cheesey stuff to put in there too, but i was just feeling too lazy, (had a hard days shopping the day before, so my legs weren't upto standing about in the kitchen too much on sunday!) hahaha. i have half (one loaf pan) left so i'm gonna slice it up and freeze 3 or 4 little portions for lazy dinners in the future.

those waffles sound really good! i've not tried making gf waffles myself before- but i've had some frozen boxed ones a few times before i went sugar free (was a new food for me when i first came to canada so i've only ever had waffles a few times!). i might think about getting a waffle iron and giving it a go, i assume its pretty similar to pancakes- batter wise?
#19 Old 06-27-2006, 07:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Then Sunday night, I made mexican style rice... this recipe came out of a BIG beautiful book with large color photos on every single page [forgot I had this thing, gonna explore it some more as there are several vegan dishes in it]. The name of the book is "Classic Vegetarian Cooking" by Linda Fraser.

and then I also took a can vegetarian refined beans and added a small can of chopped chilis, vegan veggie broth and some sala. Warmed through on the stove and served.

The rice made a ton so we'll have this for several meals or I may freeze some for later. Even hubby loved this. (And so did my baby - I'm floored that he likes things are a little bit spicy, most babies do not.)
#20 Old 06-27-2006, 07:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Btw, click on any thumbnail to view a larger better picture.
#21 Old 06-27-2006, 07:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Hoodedclawjen, that lasagna sounds terrific! Never thought to use brown lentils in it. I'm intrigued. (And now I'm hungry, too - LOL!)

As for the waffles, the consistency is usually a tad thicker batter-wise.

I used a flour blend created/recommended by Caro Fenster: Sorghum Flour Blend (#3) (If you need recipe, I'll be glad to PM but the flour recipe was either in or part of a sub link to a GF site you'd sent me a while back.)

As for the waffle recipe, it was one I made up. I wrote it down and it's in my kitchen book downstairs. If you want it, let me know and I'll PM it.
#22 Old 06-27-2006, 07:39 AM
Banned

i'm thinking about making some sort of black bean, carrot, and corn chilli and cornbread for dinner today..... but i might do a vegetable curry and popadums instead... its cold and rainy so something warm and a little more heavy than normal summer food would be nice if its still wet then

i'm just wondering what people here do for icecream in summer? i know there is always sorbet- but was wondering if there are rice based icecreams around as well as the soymilk ones for you guys? i guess there is. i'm experimenting with making my own recently cos i don't use sugar- i have a cheap icecream maker with a bowl that you freeze- and i've made some fun icecreamy things recently- they're only really basic, and if you eat them when they're just done, its like melty slushy soft serve, and if you freeze them, they turn to rock and you need to leave them out for ages to get them soft, but its good fun, and nice to have something cold and sweet to eat/drink.

so far the ones that have worked out are chocolate and vanilla rice milk, cocoa, stevia, and peanut butter- a kind of reeces peanut butter icecream, lol, and a coconut milk, ricemilk, stevia, and desicated coconut one- i used a little too much desicated coconut for my bf, cos its got too many 'bits' in if in his opinion, but i don't mind it- i bet it would be nice with some macaroons for a real coconut fix.

the iced fruit tea sorbet i made the other day was just weird- but i don't really like the fruit tea that much so thats no suprise- and it doesn't crystalise without sugar, it just turns into a giant tea icecube! if i had a blender with an icecrusher, it might make a nice slushy frosty though!
#23 Old 06-27-2006, 07:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Hoodedclawjen, that lasagna sounds terrific! Never thought to use brown lentils in it. I'm intrigued. (And now I'm hungry, too - LOL!)

As for the waffles, the consistency is usually a tad thicker batter-wise.

I used a flour blend created/recommended by Caro Fenster: Sorghum Flour Blend (#3) (If you need recipe, I'll be glad to PM but the flour recipe was either in or part of a sub link to a GF site you'd sent me a while back.)

As for the waffle recipe, it was one I made up. I wrote it down and it's in my kitchen book downstairs. If you want it, let me know and I'll PM it.

yeah... i love brown lentils- they're really dense and bulky and meaty, and don't turn to mush and loose their shape easily like the red ones do, so i use them in lots of things. and out of the can is really quick- i know doing your own beans from dried is healthier, but i'm all for canned beans, its quick and easy and i'm less likely to poison myself than by doing it myself!

that waffle reciepe would be great i'll have to dabble with it a bit if its got sugar, and i'll probably use brown rice flour instead of sorghum unless i can find some sorghum here, but it'll definately be a real help, especially for consistancy and proportions! ooooh!!! i'm gonna try and make waffles!!! *note to self: buy waffle iron first!*
#24 Old 06-27-2006, 08:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
(And so did my baby - I'm floored that he likes things are a little bit spicy, most babies do not.)

i love that your baby likes spicy foods! i remember as a kid my parents used to work at outdoor shows and fairs, and a friend of theirs had a bulk wholefoods stall- i'd eat all kinds of the weird things that he sold, as a small toddler- hot dried chillis, whole caradmom pods, hot bombay trail mix- whatever they tried, they just couldnt phaze me, i'd happily snack away at it, lol. now if i tried that at 26, bleuurrggghh! nowadays i wuss out at anything but mild curries and weak chillis, lol. its great that your baby is so open to eating stuff like that!

your food pictures that you posted look so nice! i've just had breakfast (pancakes- half with a few frozen blueberries in them, and the other half plain with peanut butter) and now i'm already thinking about the next weeks worth of food that i can make, hahaha!

i've got to think of something impressive to make, as i'm going to my bf's brothers for a big family thing canada day on monday- and when i turn up with my own little lunch in a pot, to have while they munch on their barbeque or pile of shrimps (bleurgh!) or whatever, i want them to go 'ooooh' and be intreuged and impressed and a teeny bit jealous (hehe) and not think i live on boiled cabbage and feel sorry for me- the whole vegan thing is a new one for them, let alone the vegan with a pile of allergies thing.
#25 Old 06-27-2006, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

i'm just wondering what people here do for icecream in summer?

I do a lot of coconut milk. One of my favs is a can of (full fat) coconut milk and a can of crushed pineapple (juices and all) and 3/4 cup maple syrup.

The maple syrup wouldn't work for you and I'm not sure about fruit (can you do fruit?). If you can do fruit, the pineapple in the can may not be an option but fresh or other fresh fruits would work and you could use stevia very well.

Otherwise, there's a whole bunch of gelato recipes someone posted a while back that are by Bryanna Clark Grogan. If you do a search for gelato, you should find it. If not, I can PM it to you. Yes, these recipes do use sugar or rice syrup or maple syrup but I'm sure you could figure stevia equivalents for many of them.
#26 Old 06-27-2006, 08:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

i love that your baby likes spicy foods!

I do, too. I kept saying to hubby last night that I was floored and "couldn't be happier" that he was actually eating all those spicy garbanzos! And the spicy mexican rice from the other night, too. (insert jaw drop here)

My first baby wouldn't have touched any of it. I'm glad b/c he's so allergic ... and my current baby is showing signs of many, many allergies, too. So feeding him foods that he can pick up and eat (and WILL eat) has been a very big challenge.

Even a spicy corn chip I like to eat (pico de gallo [I think that's the name of it] by Garden of Eatin), he'll get mad if I eat it while holding him and don't give him a taste. It's got some zip and he wants it. So, guess I'll try him on some spicy thai dishes, too!

Although... I should have given him some enzymes before bed last night b/c he was very restless and woke me quite a lot. Think all those beans in his tummy was a bit more than his system was ready for.

Quote:

the whole vegan thing is a new one for them, let alone the vegan with a pile of allergies thing.

Oh, I so know how you feel and what you mean.

So, I, too, am a BIG ONE for making very tasty meals that make folks salivate when I describe it. Most of the time, though, the situation is a pot luck and out of sheer curiosity EVERYONE tries my dish. And keep eating it b/c my dish is empty when I go home. LOL!
#27 Old 06-27-2006, 08:45 AM

We're doing baby-led solids with my kiddo, so we skipped the yucky jarred foods and just give him a bit of whatever we're eating. He likes everything--even the spicy stuff too! He love spicy black bean chili, lentil bolognese over rice pasta and sushi.

Last night we did Mushroom Stoganov over Tinkyada Rice Noodles, Salad and a GF, SF Birthday Cake.
#28 Old 06-27-2006, 09:09 AM
Banned

coconut milk is good for icecreamy stuff, its got the density and fat content that you need to make things rich, i think. ricemilk makes more icey slushy stuff. i can do a teeny bit of fruit, i'm just careful cos i know about it if i over do it, lol- so i'll have a couple of blueberries or other low sugar fruits here and there once in a while but not go nuts on it, lol. there are some new liquid stevias with fruity flavourings in them in the states, so i'm hoping to get some of them sooner or later once they get up here- then i'll be able to do more flavoured rice milk shakes and icecreams etc. and an american brand called lori anne makes alcohol and sugar free flavoured essences, i'm looking to get some of those this side of the border one day too!

maybe your baby just knows whats good for him- like all the antibacterial, antiseptic and immune boosting stuff in spices- he's a lucky chap anyway, and he's setting himself in good stead for good health and an excellent culinary experience later in life, especially with such an inventive mummy serving him interesting things! i'm so greatful that my parents fed me stuff other than fries and baked beans for dinner every day as a kid- it wasn't all exotic and extravegant stuff- just basic veggies, grains and pulses (we weren't rich), but i remember being the only 5 year old in my class at school who knew what things like chappatis and eggplants and zuccinnis and pot barley and leeks and lentils were, and how to make curry and apple pies and lentil burgers and soups and veggie sausage rolls, (i helped cook a lot- i was a nosey child, lol!) and thinking everyone else was just nuts for not knowing those things.

i've never been to a 'potluck' dinner thing- i guess its another one of those cultural things on this continent that i've yet to experience, so i tend to just let whoever is catering know i'll bring my own stuff- and always feel like i shouldn't bring too much in case they feel like they're expected to eat my weird food, and don't like it, or want to, but do it to be polite, lol. (my weird english reserved sensibilities). but my normally boring-food-loving omni bf has developed a secret addiction for my pirates veggie bootie and a local brand of crinkle cut veggie chips and is instisting i bring a few bags of those, for him at least, so there is a chance that the relatives might find themselves eating some hippy food this monday!
#29 Old 06-30-2006, 06:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Day before yesterday, I took my portabello mushrooms and a bag of frozen mixed peppers and chopped a fresh onion and sauteed them with a envelope of Simply Organic's fajita mix (granted I didn't use it as the package directs). Well, this made a yummy, filling fajita dinner that I served on corn tortillas, with fresh salsa and quac.

Here's a picture of the fajitas still in the pan just before serving.
#30 Old 06-30-2006, 06:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Then last night...

I made stuffed, baked eggplant. (Thanks to Hoodedclawjen for the recipe.) However, I didn't read the directions thoroughly and realized I should have started it earlier. So, that will get eaten tonight. But here it is just out of the oven (and a bit out of focus). It's yummier than the picture conveys.

It's a mix of sauteed mushrooms, onions and eggplant with a bit of parsley and oregano (yeah, I added both, HCJ what can I say, I'm a spice fiend) and then finished with some kidney beans, brown lentils and tomato paste.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page