Those yellow cookies with the cherry in the middle - looking for recipe - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm looking for a recipe for those yellow cookies with the cherry in the middle. Does anyone know what I mean? Do they have a more exact name?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-12-2006, 06:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Chinese almond cookies, made with egg? I remember these...sometimes they had an almond in the center instead of a cherry half

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 06-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Not sure what you mean, but I used to make butter cookies that had a cherry in the middle. I've been meaning to try the recipe with EB and egg replacer, but haven't tried it as yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-12-2006, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Not sure what you mean, but I used to make butter cookies that had a cherry in the middle. I've been meaning to try the recipe with EB and egg replacer, but haven't tried it as yet.

That's what I'm talking about. My aunt makes them for Xmas, they do have a buttery kind of flavor.
#5 Old 06-13-2006, 09:12 PM
Veggie Regular

here's a recipe using almond butter but calls for raspberry jam instead of the cherry.

I've got a tried and true "butter" cookie downstairs that I made a couple months ago and was REALLY good. Thought I had it on the computer but must not have saved it as a file. Will have to look for it and post later if that would help!

Btw, I haven't actually made this recipe (that I'm posting below) just yet. But FWIW:

Almond Butter Thumbprint Cookies

From Natural Health, September 2000

Makes about 36 cookies

1 1/2 cups finely ground oats or oat flour

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 teaspoon sea salt

1 cup natural unsalted almond butter

2 tablespoons water

1/2 cup maple syrup

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon almond extract

1 cup granulated cane juice (Sucanat)

2/3 cup Spectrum Spread or other nonhydrogenated margarine

1/2 cup raspberry jam

Preheat oven to 350°. In small bowl, stir together ground oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt; set aside.

Use electric mixer to beat almond butter and water together in large bowl until smooth. Add maple syrup, vanilla and almond extract and beat until well blended. Add granulated cane juice and Spectrum and beat until incorporated.

Add dry ingredients and beat on low speed just until completely blended.

Drop dough by tablespoonfuls (or use a 1 1/4-inch diameter scoop) onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. With your thumb or the handle of a wooden spoon, press an indentation firmly into the center of each ball of dough. Fill each indentation with a generous 1/2 teaspoon of jam.

Bake until tops are lightly browned but cookies are still slightly soft, 10 to 12 minutes.

Cook on racks. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container for several days.

Per Serving: 132 calories, 2 g protein, 7 g fat, 17 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 93 mg sodium, 0% vitamin A, 0% vitamin C, 2% calcium.
#6 Old 06-14-2006, 04:58 AM
Veggie Regular

This is my butter cookie recipe:

1 pound butter, softened at room temp (or EB)

1 cup sugar (Florida Crystals or any organic sugar)

1 egg yolk (this is where there might be a problem. I'm going to try Egg Replacer)

4 - 4 1/2 cups flour

1 tsp. flavoring (vanilla/almond)

You creama the butter with the sugar, add the vanilla, egg/replacer, then flour. Don't over mix or the dough becomes 'tough'. You put it in a cookie gun with the flower disc. Add the cherry (usually need to be cut in half or quartered) to the middle of cookie and bake about 12 minutes until edges are slightly brown.

The real recipe is awesome, and I haven't tried to veganize it yet, but I'm working on it. I'm concerned about the egg because since it calls for the yolk, I feel like the replacer will be more like an egg white and might totally change the cookie texture.
#7 Old 06-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Spritz cookies?

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Cookie/SpritzCookie.htm

(Scroll down to see the ones with cherries)
#8 Old 06-14-2006, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

This is my butter cookie recipe:

1 pound butter, softened at room temp (or EB)

1 cup sugar (Florida Crystals or any organic sugar)

1 egg yolk (this is where there might be a problem. I'm going to try Egg Replacer)

4 - 4 1/2 cups flour

1 tsp. flavoring (vanilla/almond)

You creama the butter with the sugar, add the vanilla, egg/replacer, then flour. Don't over mix or the dough becomes 'tough'. You put it in a cookie gun with the flower disc. Add the cherry (usually need to be cut in half or quartered) to the middle of cookie and bake about 12 minutes until edges are slightly brown.

The real recipe is awesome, and I haven't tried to veganize it yet, but I'm working on it. I'm concerned about the egg because since it calls for the yolk, I feel like the replacer will be more like an egg white and might totally change the cookie texture.

I'm going to try these with egg replacer and EB tonight when I get home! Thanks.

I'll let you know how they come out.
#9 Old 06-14-2006, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenM View Post

Spritz cookies?

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Cookie/SpritzCookie.htm

(Scroll down to see the ones with cherries)

They appear to be very similar. The spritz have more butter and use the whole egg instead of just the yolk. My recipe is something my mom always used and it just works for me! I am anxious to try a vegan version however. Maybe once the wedding is over I'll have more ambition to give it a shot.
#10 Old 06-14-2006, 10:15 PM
Veggie Regular

They were good! I veganised the recipe by using egg replacer and EB, they were a hit with my roomate and her boyfriend and didnt taste "off" at all.

I halfed the recipe (because I can't eat that many cookies!!!!) and added a WHOLE cherry because I like cherries.

The ones I was thinking of that my aunt makes have more mosture though. When I asked her for the recipe she said "just make a cookie and stick a cherry in the middle"....
#11 Old 06-15-2006, 07:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow_clouds View Post

They were good! I veganised the recipe by using egg replacer and EB, they were a hit with my roomate and her boyfriend and didnt taste "off" at all.

I halfed the recipe (because I can't eat that many cookies!!!!) and added a WHOLE cherry because I like cherries.

The ones I was thinking of that my aunt makes have more mosture though. When I asked her for the recipe she said "just make a cookie and stick a cherry in the middle"....

Wow, that's good to hear. I'm glad to know I can still make them now and have them tatse good!
#12 Old 06-15-2006, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow_clouds View Post

.... The ones I was thinking of that my aunt makes have more mosture though. ...

If you used that 'En-Er-Gee' egg replacer stuff, you need to also add something else for moisture because the egg replacer makes baked goods come out a bit dry.

I usually add a tiny bit more oil or some blenderised silken tofu. Applesauce works in some applications too, but usually makes "butter" type cookies very cake-y and crumbly in my experiece.
#13 Old 06-15-2006, 11:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

If you used that 'En-Er-Gee' egg replacer stuff, you need to also add something else for moisture because the egg replacer makes baked goods come out a bit dry.

I usually add a tiny bit more oil or some blenderised silken tofu. Applesauce works in some applications too, but usually makes "butter" type cookies very cake-y and crumbly in my experiece.

Ah, thanks!
#14 Old 06-16-2006, 04:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I love the blenderized silken tofu idea. It works great when I make cake. I'm going to try that when I get up the ambition to make the cookies.
#15 Old 06-16-2006, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Are these similar to those cute little store-bought flower shaped butter cookies that have a hole in the middle? I used to wear them like rings when I was a kid and nibble around the edges.
#16 Old 06-17-2006, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Melting Moments?? That's what they sound like to me. I made some a little while back, and the recipe is so easy to veganise, in fact, so long as you make sure the margarine is dairy-free, then it is vegan!:

65g self-raising flower

40g caster sugar

50g margarine

few drops vanilla essence

oats or desicated coconut

glace cherries

Cream the margarine, sugar, and essence. Stir in the flour and mix thoroughly. Divide mixture into 20 pieces, roll each into a ball and toss in oats or dessicated coconut. Place on a greased baking tray, flatten slightly, and place a small piece of cherry on each biscuit. Bake in a moderate oven (180oC, 350oF, gas mark 4) for about 15 minutes.

I made them with the oats. They were so nice, such a delicious flavour!
#17 Old 06-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

*resists temptation to make two batches of cookies in one week*

I'm going to wait a bit, and then try your recipe, *Star*Lass*. Thanks so much!!!!
#18 Old 06-18-2006, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Star*Lass* View Post

Melting Moments?? That's what they sound like to me. I made some a little while back, and the recipe is so easy to veganise, in fact, so long as you make sure the margarine is dairy-free, then it is vegan!:

65g self-raising flower

40g caster sugar

50g margarine

few drops vanilla essence

oats or desicated coconut

glace cherries

Cream the margarine, sugar, and essence. Stir in the flour and mix thoroughly. Divide mixture into 20 pieces, roll each into a ball and toss in oats or dessicated coconut. Place on a greased baking tray, flatten slightly, and place a small piece of cherry on each biscuit. Bake in a moderate oven (180oC, 350oF, gas mark 4) for about 15 minutes.

I made them with the oats. They were so nice, such a delicious flavour!

Sounds great!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page