Kid Friendly Exotic Fruits? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-09-2006, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Next week is my LAST WEEK in internship in the elementary school. I've been teaching a social skills class in the emotionally disturbed room all year and we're going to have a little "party" on Tuesday morning for my last class with them. The teacher suggested food, because they always like that, and I mentioned bringing in exotic fruits for them to try. She loved the idea (she's veg too, so we're always talking about veg cooking and stuff), so that's my plan. These kids live VERY sheltered lives and don't ever have the chance to experiment with foods, so I'm hoping it will be fun for them to check out the fruit before its cut (I'm going to bring 1 cut 1 uncut if funding allows) try to guess what it would look like inside and taste like, and then let them try it.

Pursuant to this... I need some kid friendly exotic fruits, and some advice on how to choose them!!

I know I'm going to buy kiwi, mango, lychees (fresh!), starfruit, coconut, a pomegranite if I can find one... and I was thinking things like passionfruit, papaya, uglyfruit, but I don't know how to choose them. Anyone have advice?

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-09-2006, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Fresh pineapple is probably something many of the kids haven't tried, and would be good to get them warmed up to trying new things.
#3 Old 06-09-2006, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Starfruit! Should be slightly soft and it's oh so yummy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-09-2006, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I bet they would love mango. Mmm, so sweet and juicy! But a mess!
#5 Old 06-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh and a different kind of melon...cassava, yellow water melon, etc

And I always liked lychees although I don't know how to pick them (I liked the canned too)
#6 Old 06-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

If you can find dragonfruit that would be fun. (it's bright pink on the outside and white w/ tiny black seeds on the inside) it kind of tastes like coconut mixed w/ kiwi
#7 Old 06-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I was going to suggest starfruit too, as it's so pretty.
#8 Old 06-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottsMom View Post

If you can find dragonfruit that would be fun. (it's bright pink on the outside and white w/ tiny black seeds on the inside) it kind of tastes like coconut mixed w/ kiwi

Speaking of kiwi, kiwi would be a good one too.
#9 Old 06-09-2006, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

i really like pummelos. if they sell green ones around there that would be cool and they're usually pretty big so one would be plenty for everyone to try.

fresh figs !! they're delicious, and i don't know if the kids have tried the dried kind but it would be cool to compare.

dude, that's gonna be one expensive party

ETA: when picking figs look for darker and softer ones.

these look just perfect

http://www.melissas.com/images/products/462a.jpg
#10 Old 06-09-2006, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Persimmon is another one of my favorites but i think it's out of season right now - you can usually find them around christmas time.
#11 Old 06-09-2006, 04:05 PM
Beginner

okay i know it's not extremely exotic but how about Avocado? I think most people don't realize it's fruit!

I would suggest Durian (only as a joke tho) b/c its so smelly i think the kids would think it was funny. (think it may be hard to get ahold of though)

How about Jackfruit?! that stuff it really yummy.

Great post- let us know what you choose

-

funwithyourfood
#12 Old 06-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

how about cherimoya if you can find it? you test it for ripeness the same as an avocado - and it's really good cold.
#13 Old 06-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwithyourfood View Post

okay i know it's not extremely exotic but how about Avocado? I think most people don't realize it's fruit!

I would suggest Durian (only as a joke tho) b/c its so smelly i think the kids would think it was funny. (think it may be hard to get ahold of though)

How about Jackfruit?! that stuff it really yummy.

Great post- let us know what you choose

-

funwithyourfood

i want to try that sometime ! i think i've seen them sold at the asian market last year but didn't know what they were.
#14 Old 06-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Beginner

This is going to sound tame after the (great!) suggestions you've already gotten from this thread, but: if your kids are from very sheltered backgrounds, maybe they have never seen a whole pineapple (as opposed to Dole canned chunks). That would be pretty cool, and fresh pineapple is so much more delicious than the canned kind. I bet they'd be impressed to see how spiny and spiky the fruit looks, and how simple it is to get at the sweet insides.
#15 Old 06-10-2006, 12:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanLady View Post

This is going to sound tame after the (great!) suggestions you've already gotten from this thread, but: if your kids are from very sheltered backgrounds, maybe they have never seen a whole pineapple (as opposed to Dole canned chunks). That would be pretty cool, and fresh pineapple is so much more delicious than the canned kind. I bet they'd be impressed to see how spiny and spiky the fruit looks, and how simple it is to get at the sweet insides.

the first reply to this thread was actually a pineapple, but yeah, i guess it would be cool for kids to see. but then again - they might not have tried fresh pineapple but i'm sure they have seen pictures before.

really unusual things like durian would be a much cooler experience .....

and this is a bit off topic, but, i was thinking today, if i ever go to grad school and become a professor (which i really truely hope happens) i would do similar stuff with my students .... even though they'd all be grownups or at least in late teens it's still great to share an experience with so many people at once ... i'd try out new stuff and make my classes do it with me, that would be hella cool

but i'm just dreaming now ...
#16 Old 06-10-2006, 06:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't anticipate it being TOO expensive because there are only 6 kids MAX in the class (Usually 4 or 5 when I'm in there), so I'm not serving like 20 kids! I was thinking about getting a "baby" pineapple, but my concern is that I don't know that I can bring a sharp knife into this particular classroom. (They aren't even allowed scissors!!) Things that can't be prepared with a butter knife/potato peeler, and are too expensive to buy 2 of (1 cut, 1 uncut) will probably have to be left off of the list. (I've had furniture thrown at my head in this room... so sharp objects are discouraged!!)

#17 Old 06-10-2006, 07:04 AM
Veggie Regular

don't forget dates! Very sweet. Maybe cut in half and pit ahead of time to increase enjoyment for the kids?

Others not mentioned unless I've missed them (and your mileage may vary) are...

Breadfruit

Guava

Kumquats

Loquats

Casaba or Honeydew melon
#18 Old 06-10-2006, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

If the fruits need to be cut with a sharper knife, maybe you could cut them at home and just bring in pictures of them whole. You could even make a game of it and get the kids to try to match the pictures of the whole fruit with the cut up fruit.
#19 Old 06-10-2006, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

pineapple

dates

cherries?

starfruit

kiwifruit

mango (precut)

papaya (again precut)
#20 Old 06-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbunnicula View Post

If the fruits need to be cut with a sharper knife, maybe you could cut them at home and just bring in pictures of them whole. You could even make a game of it and get the kids to try to match the pictures of the whole fruit with the cut up fruit.

i think this is quite an idea
#21 Old 06-10-2006, 02:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbunnicula View Post

That might work, but with my 60 hr workweek, it's a little labor intensive!!

I bought some kumquats today! I've never even eaten a kumquat.

For those who suggested it, how do you choose papaya and guava? I've only ever had them canned.

Maybe a cactus pear? I wonder how you choose those...

#22 Old 06-10-2006, 05:52 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post

i want to try that sometime ! i think i've seen them sold at the asian market last year but didn't know what they were.

Try which? Durian or Jackfruit?

They look really similar if they're fresh but you'll never forget the smell of the durian.

This may sound like a weird recipe but go with me on it. Get canned Jackfruit and some wonton wrappers. Place the jackfruit in the wrapper and fold it into a littly triangle. Sprinkle with sugar and fry for about 3 mins.

It's GREAT! I learned it from my ex's mom (they're filipino).

Funwithyourfood

#23 Old 06-10-2006, 06:06 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

For those who suggested it, how do you choose papaya and guava?

You can get papaya's that are already cut in half at the store. Then you can just use a spoon to serve it (scoop out the seeds). Have the kids eat out of it like it's a bowl. Plus that means you wouldnt have to by two peices of fruit.

it's a lot easier to tell if a papaya is ripe when it's cut in half. It shouldn't be too mushy and a vibrate red/orange color indicates that it's sweet.

-

funwithyourfood
LL
#24 Old 06-10-2006, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

You can get papaya's that are already cut in half at the store. Then you can just use a spoon to serve it (scoop out the seeds). Have the kids eat out of it like it's a bowl. Plus that means you wouldnt have to by two peices of fruit.

it's a lot easier to tell if a papaya is ripe when it's cut in half. It shouldn't be too mushy and a vibrate red/orange color indicates that it's sweet.

-

funwithyourfood

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, upstate NY is not the nation's capital for exotic fruits, so while I have occasionally seen papayas, they are never cut. (And usually, you have like 3 to choose from!)

#25 Old 06-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Beginner

hmm well back to the drawing board then

who doesn't like a challenge eh?
#26 Old 06-10-2006, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Try which? Durian or Jackfruit?

They look really similar if they're fresh but you'll never forget the smell of the durian.

This may sound like a weird recipe but go with me on it. Get canned Jackfruit and some wonton wrappers. Place the jackfruit in the wrapper and fold it into a littly triangle. Sprinkle with sugar and fry for about 3 mins.

It's GREAT! I learned it from my ex's mom (they're filipino).

Funwithyourfood

i believe it was jackfruit.

i'll definetly try it ! do they sell canned jackfruit at supermarkets ?
#27 Old 06-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post

i believe it was jackfruit.

i'll definetly try it ! do they sell canned jackfruit at supermarkets ?

hmm i believe so. In the "international" section.

Tell me how it turns out!

#28 Old 06-12-2006, 07:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I bought...

Mango

Kiwis

Asian Pear

Papaya

Cactus Pear

Red Bananas

Kumquats

Lychees

It was the best I could do given my resources! I did come across some other things, like ugly fruit, but they were, literally, rotten and moldy. I guess they aren't too popular! We should have fun with these anyway, and they shouldn't be too hard to deal with, with a metal butter knife and potato peeler!

#29 Old 06-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Let us know how it goes.
#30 Old 06-13-2006, 12:54 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow_clouds View Post

Let us know how it goes.

Hahaha i love your mitch hedberg quote!

That guy was great

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page