What to do with hummus? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-06-2006, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I tried making it a while ago but it was really gross. I think maybe it was a bad recipe. So I decided to try again, I love chickpeas, and this one seemed to come out a little better. Kind of garlicky but I don't mind that so much.

The question is, now what to do with it? I see a lot of people eat it in sandwiches or use it as a dip but it's *very* thick, like a paste. Do you do something to thin it out or use something else to make the sandwich, as a whole, more moist? I bought WW pita pockets but I'm not sure I can eat a sandwich so dry. I was thinking maybe a thin slice of tomato but I'm not really fond of them and I don't know how they would taste with it?

I just want to use it before it goes bad. Any ideas on what to do with it, even outside sandwiches or dips, is much appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-06-2006, 01:26 PM

i like it in a pita pocket with lots of veggies--esp cucumbers, tomatoes and lettuce...that's really all i do with it other than dipping veggies in it...it is thicker than most dips--if you want it thinner you can add some of the liquid from the can of chickpeas when you're blending it...
#3 Old 06-06-2006, 01:30 PM
Administrator

If it's too thick you might want to try adding something like ranch dressing (not to the hummus but on the sandwich or as a seperate dip for veggies).

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

If it's too dry, just add a little water or olive oil. I eat it on chips, cracker, on a piece of toast, on sliced veggies, in sandwiches ...but my favorite is in a falafel wrap: Wrap, hummus, falafel, pea sprouts, a little red onion, tahini sauce and tomato. Yum.
#5 Old 06-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

i don't mind it being thick at all. and tomatoes are my favorite thing to eat with hummus, but not a lot of people hold the same opinion.

you can also put it on pizza as someone recently suggested in another thread. and if it's too dry on a sandwich why not put a dressing on, i'd say like a vinegrette dressing or italian.
#6 Old 06-06-2006, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Take the hummus & mix it w/ crumbled tempeh & spread on some bread-yuummmy.
#7 Old 06-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Ankle Biter

I love hummus - but my husband did not like my constant hummus breath - especially at bedtime. I now make it without the garlic, and it's delicious! I flavor it with lemon juice, cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper. Tahini and olive oil are mandatory. I love it too much to make much with it, so I just eat it out of the bowl with pita chips or celery stalks (when I'm feelign pudgy!).

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#8 Old 06-06-2006, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I dip veggies in it. Or just eat it with a spoon. It makes a nice snack when I wanted something at night but don't want to be too full.

If you are not vegan, I heard about a recipe where you fill the hummus in hard boiled egg halved - like a deviled egg.
#9 Old 06-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Banned

hmmm... i vaguely remember mixing some left over hummus with some mashed boiled potato once (to make it a little denser and less sloppy) and then rolling it in cornmeal and rice flour -making a load of little mild hummus potato croquette kind of things. they were good!

when my hummus is too thick i tend to add a little olive oil or water and some lemon juice (i like the tang!). i also i really like it with dry roasted cumin seeds in too.

i think hummus is really good with steamed broccolli and lemon juice (dip the broccolli in the hummus), with rosemary oven roasted zuccinni, parsnips, carrots, and baby tomatoes, and nutloaf, as a filling for baked potatoes with salad, and with garlic roasted baby potatoes and peas. i bet it would be good on garlic bread too.
#10 Old 06-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Most of the ways above are ways I like to eat hummus too (all of the vegan ones, actually).

I also like to make wraps with lavosh, tortillas or large lettuce leaves filled with hummus and veggies (shredded carrots, beets, sliced cucumber etc.).

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#11 Old 06-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

In celery sticks. YUM!

In a "salad" sandwich with lots of "juicy" veggies like sprouts, peppers, spinich, cucumber...(I like tomato but if you don't, then skip it)...

Thinned with oil and lemon and used as a salad dressing.

Stuffed in mushroom caps and broiled 'till the mushrooms are soft... some people think warm hummus is weird but I love it in mushrooms.

I personally cannot STAND pita bread (*looks around nervously - sorry, I can still be in the veggie club, can't I?*). I think it's tasteless, hard, dry, crumbly and hard to work with and I have tried a LOT of brands and recipes...

But...I love hummus spread pretty thin on sourdough toast that has just a smidge of veg. margerine to make it spread easier... not a low cal. snack but great as a late-night munchie...
#12 Old 06-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I personally cannot STAND pita bread (*looks around nervously - sorry, I can still be in the veggie club, can't I?*). I think it's tasteless, hard, dry, crumbly and hard to work with and I have tried a LOT of brands and recipes...

Have you ever had fresh, warm pita bread at a middle eastern restaurant? I have been disappointed with store bought pita bread, because it is really dry and falls apart easily, but I love the kind i'm served at restaurants.\\

Personally, I buy sun dried tomato hummus from whole foods, and I love it on tortilla chips.
#13 Old 06-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

We ate it last night on a pizza with caramalized red onion and roasted red peppers and it was scrummy. I posted the recipe in the recipe section.

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#14 Old 06-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I eat it in sandwiches and in wraps and as a dip, but my favorite way is to put it on a rye crisp with chopped tomatoes and green onions and sprinkle with a little kosher salt. It's my favorite snack (especially in the afternoon with a tall cold glass of iced tea).
#15 Old 06-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Veggie Regular

celery, cucumbers, tomato slices, pita bread, salads, and on your finger

i live for hummus
#16 Old 06-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, you all sure like your hummus!

Thanks so much, I have plenty of suggestions now. This is really the first time I've made something I didn't have any plans for. I made it yesterday, put it in the fridge overnight, pulled it out today, took a taste and thought "Well, now what?" lol

Now I know!

Mary
#17 Old 06-07-2006, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I like mine thinner so I add some water to the recipe. I like to dip tortilla chips in it. I like mine a little spicy and add some cayenne pepper. I've had hummus at a restaurant on cucumber slices that were pretty darn good. Now only if garlic didn't give me heartburn...

~Wonder
#18 Old 06-07-2006, 08:57 AM
Banned

I just eat it with a spoon from the container
#19 Old 06-07-2006, 09:35 AM
Veggie Regular

i eat it straight, on veggies, on apple slices (fuji), as a base for pizza, spread on ww nut bread for sammies, wrapped with veggies inww tortillas, as a topping for falafel, as a spread/topping for baked tofu..
#20 Old 06-07-2006, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I finally tried my hummus today. I put it in the pita with a sprinkling of nutritional yeast and some sliced green olives. It was very yummy. Since a couple of you said the thickness doesn't normally affect it at all, I just forged ahead with no thinner.

<---brave

It was quite good. I plan on trying the pizza recipe and a few of the other ideas (stuffed mushrooms sounds great). Thanks for all the suggestions!

Mary
#21 Old 06-07-2006, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegWithEdge View Post

and on your finger

i live for hummus

Ah. I almost said that too. I have a hard time being good at Middle Easter restaurants.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#22 Old 06-07-2006, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I added some sour supreme to my hummus and it was awesome.
#23 Old 06-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Add it to soup.
#24 Old 06-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Beginner

i also don't care much for pita bread!

I get the middle eastern flat bread at trader joes, slather it w/hummus, then some tzatziki (sp?), then sprouts, then tomato, and cukes if I got 'em and eat it! SO good!

It's also good (to my surprise) on tortilla chips.

i loves me some hummus. I want to brach out to other flavors.
#25 Old 06-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Veggie Regular

i made homemade hummus for the first time a few days ago... wow heaven

i also discovered that red pepper hummus taste good if u spread it on top of a boca burger
#26 Old 06-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Banned

Mary, if there's any left, I think your hummus may have gone bad by now!
#27 Old 06-12-2006, 02:25 AM
Banned

I once put some hummous inside my roomates pillowcase after he broke my favorite coffee mug.
#28 Old 06-12-2006, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

I once put some hummous inside my roomates pillowcase after he broke my favorite coffee mug.

Goes to show that hummus is the all pupose miracle food!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page