Cold Buffet Party food. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-05-2006, 12:43 PM

I'm very new to veggie and need to provide a couple of platters of buffet finger food for a 51st B/day party for a really great freind.

Olives and aubergine/eggplant, are off the menu

Anyone got any fab ideas? I need them for 4 days time.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-05-2006, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

hummus and crudites (like carrots/peppers) And i have a good recipe for a curry dip that is fantastic that is made from silken tofu (but you'd never know)--if you want it I could look it up for you.

finger fruit like grapes are also a nice summer buffet snack thingee.

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#3 Old 06-05-2006, 01:21 PM

Guacamole, salsa, or hummus for tortilla or pita chips. Cucumber sandwiches (I love love love these). Those are the things I first thought of.

Try here too http://www.recipezaar.com/r/169/158
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergrrl View Post

hummus and crudites (like carrots/peppers) And i have a good recipe for a curry dip that is fantastic that is made from silken tofu (but you'd never know)--if you want it I could look it up for you.

finger fruit like grapes are also a nice summer buffet snack thingee.

I would love to see your recipe for curry dip.
#5 Old 06-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Beginner

Veggie Sushi is great.. the best ingredients on the inside are Avocado, cucumber. (i had them at my college grad party and they went soo fast).

That can be hard to make tho.

For sweets I recommend chocolate dipped fruit.

I also love avocado and cream cheese sandwhiches with tomato..

oh you can have BLT with fakin Bacon.

those all sound great to me. I can tell you how to make any of them if need be.

-

funwithyourfood
#6 Old 06-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Veggie Regular

you could do something like 'pigs' in a blanket using veggie dogs and cresent rolls (like the philsbury ones).

I also seccond the idea with some pita/ veggies and an assortment of dips.

You can also make a great fruit dip using half cool whip and half creamy strawberry yogurt.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#7 Old 06-05-2006, 04:56 PM

There are some excellent suggestions here...you mentioned you had to prepare several platters? Why not choose a theme for each platter and then build from there....mexican/southwest theme-guacamole, salsa's, mini tortilla wraps...middle eastern theme - pita, humous, baba ganouj(but you said no eggplant?).... I find having some sort of theme helps with the ideas...I work this into my grocery shopping as well since some ingredients I wouldn't necessarily buy use the whole thing at once...mexican grocery week, itallian grocery week, asian week (chineese, thai)
#8 Old 06-05-2006, 08:12 PM

Another vote for Middle Eastern fare..maybe couscous or tabouleh, in addition to the hummus/pita?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#9 Old 06-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Definitely tabouleh. I like to add red grapes to mine when I bring it to parties...it's really tasty that way
#10 Old 06-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vggiegirl View Post

Definitely tabouleh. I like to add red grapes to mine when I bring it to parties...it's really tasty that way

oooohhhhhhh--red grapes in tabbouleh!! yum!!!
#11 Old 06-05-2006, 08:57 PM

i have a great recipe for fruit salsa and cinnamon chips that's always a hit--if you're interested, i'll share...
#12 Old 06-05-2006, 10:06 PM
Veggie Regular

The Random Vegan web site has a superb recipe for an artichoke dip. It's awesome! I've made this several times and several of my omni friends asked for the recipe. It's at: http://www.randomgirl.com/recipes.html#artichokedip

Too bad olives are out - for future reference, there's a Olive Tapenade on this site that is totally addicting.

Check it out!
#13 Old 06-06-2006, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisfilip View Post

i have a great recipe for fruit salsa and cinnamon chips that's always a hit--if you're interested, i'll share...

Yes please--that sounds scrummy.

I hope it's not too late for your buffet. i posted the Curry dip recipe in the recipe section but it hasn't come up yet. If you can't access it and you need it sooner than later let me know and I will PM you. Peace, Spider

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#14 Old 06-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

am i too used to being vegetarian if i assume that buffet finger food is for the most part vegetarian as it is ??
#15 Old 06-06-2006, 01:05 PM

FRUIT SALSA AND CINNAMON CHIPS

2 KIWI, PEELED AND DICED

2 GOLDEN DELICIOUS APPLES, CORED, PEELED AND DICED

8 OZ RASPBERRIES

1 LB STAWBERRIES, DICED

2 TBSP WHITE SUGAR

1 TBSP BROWN SUGAR

3 TBSP FAVORITE FRUIT PRESERVES

1O 10 IN FLOUR TORTILLAS

COOKING SPRAY (BUTTER FLAVORED)

2 CUPS CINNAMON SUGAR

1. IN A LARGE BOWL, MIX FRUIT, SUGARS AND PRESERVES. COVER AND CHILL WELL.

2. COAT ONE SIDE OF EACH TORTILLA WITH COOKING SPRAY. CUT INTO WEDGES AND ARRANGE IN SINGLE LAYER ON BAKING SHEETS. SPRINKLE WITH CINNAMON SUGAR. SPRAY AGAIN WITH COOKING SPRAY.

3. BAKE AT 350 FOR 8-10 MINUTES. ALLOW TO COOL ABOUT 15 MINUTES. SERVE WITH CHILLED SALSA.

(from a friend who found it online somewhere)
#16 Old 06-06-2006, 08:18 PM

That looks tres yummy.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#17 Old 06-06-2006, 11:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post

am i too used to being vegetarian if i assume that buffet finger food is for the most part vegetarian as it is ??

Not really. I usually assume that a buffet, as long as it's not a southwestern style buffet, will have enough veggie options to get by. Not vegan ones necessarily though!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#18 Old 06-07-2006, 12:14 AM
Banned

Dolmades - stuffed grape leaves. In a middle eastern food store you can buy large cans of these for cheap - 3.99 for a can of 60-75 (Read the label on the can and make sure they don't have meat - they usually don't.

Surprisingly tasty for canned food, though not as good as fresh made. I've used them with no complaint.
#19 Old 06-07-2006, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

If you have access to decent Asian groceries, I highly recommend mu shu basil rolls. My wife makes them for events we attend and they always seem to be one of the first dishes to go.

You might also consider a three bean salad. Another option that is super easy to make would be some sort of cous-cous (I like the wild mushroom cous-cous) served cold. If you're a little more energetic you might also consider a cold quiona salad. Quinoa is very enoyable served cold (after being cooked of course.)

Tony
#20 Old 06-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Hummus and veggies/pita chips, guacamole and salsa with tortilla chips, pasta salads, tabouli, chickpea salad sandwiches (chickpeas mashed with vegan mayonnaise, chopped onions, grated carrot, red pepper, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper), sushi rolls, cut up fruit, fruit salad, veggie trays, etc, etc. Don't forget dessert either! Cookies, cake, brownies, pie, raw desserts, more fruit. I made some delicious sweet nutty granola bar type things today out of dates, maple syrup, raw almond butter, chopped almonds and walnuts, ground flax seed, sesame seeds, and oatmeal. They might not sound amazing, but they were amazingly delish!
#21 Old 06-08-2006, 03:48 AM

Thanks for all the help. Sorry I haven't replied sooner, up to my eyes in exams at the moment.

The party is in two days time. I love the themed platter idea, I'll let you all know how it goes.
#22 Old 06-08-2006, 04:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisfilip View Post

FRUIT SALSA AND CINNAMON CHIPS

2 KIWI, PEELED AND DICED

2 GOLDEN DELICIOUS APPLES, CORED, PEELED AND DICED

8 OZ RASPBERRIES

1 LB STAWBERRIES, DICED

2 TBSP WHITE SUGAR

1 TBSP BROWN SUGAR

3 TBSP FAVORITE FRUIT PRESERVES

1O 10 IN FLOUR TORTILLAS

COOKING SPRAY (BUTTER FLAVORED)

2 CUPS CINNAMON SUGAR

1. IN A LARGE BOWL, MIX FRUIT, SUGARS AND PRESERVES. COVER AND CHILL WELL.

2. COAT ONE SIDE OF EACH TORTILLA WITH COOKING SPRAY. CUT INTO WEDGES AND ARRANGE IN SINGLE LAYER ON BAKING SHEETS. SPRINKLE WITH CINNAMON SUGAR. SPRAY AGAIN WITH COOKING SPRAY.

3. BAKE AT 350 FOR 8-10 MINUTES. ALLOW TO COOL ABOUT 15 MINUTES. SERVE WITH CHILLED SALSA.

(from a friend who found it online somewhere)

This sounds sooooo good!
#23 Old 06-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Beginner

So how'd it turn out??

What did ya end up serving? The anticipation is KILLING me

-

funwithyourfood
#24 Old 06-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post

God no!.. but i guess it depends. I went to a christening party a few months back, a family thing, and there was almost no veggie food there. The only things i could eat were the cheese sandwiches and crisps. But a christening party i went to a few weeks before that was almost entirely vegetarian.

How about quiche, or samosas and onion bhajis with sweet chilli dip, rice and pasta dishes, pizza, those stick things with cheese, pickled onions and veggie sausage, and there's loads of different sandwich varieties to choose from.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page