need help with vegan marg. w/ no olive oil - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-29-2006, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

OK so it seems I'm allergic to olive oil. I've eliminated it from my diet for the past week or so, and the allergic symptoms I've been experiencing for two years are abating.

The only problem is Earth Balance contains olive oil. And I LOVE to bake. I do NOT use margarine as a spread, EVER, I use it only for baking and making cheesy broccoli casserole. Culinary experts, i need your help.

It looked like I might have a good sub in Spectrum Spread, but the HFS told me that the manufacturer has told them not to expect any more shipments of it. Perfect timing.

Fleishmann's margarine is not vegan here, although I believe i have read it is in the U.S. I'm in Canada, so I have fewer options. I am not keen on using margarines that contain genetically modified ingredients.

We do not get a brand I have heard you all talk about called Smart Balance here, and I don't know if it contains olive oil or is vegan anyway.

What can I use in place of store bought vegan margarine for the purposes I described above? Things that require 1/4 cup+ of margarine, not a teaspoon. Or are there any known vegan margarines that I have just completely missed, and could possibly start lobbying them to send their product to canada?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-30-2006, 05:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't a clue if you can get this in Canada but Blue Bonnet Light appears vegan. It's put out by Conagra which does sell in Canada but I'm not sure if you can get Blue Bonnet in particular. The regular sticks have milk in them but the light doesn't.

Otherwise, it may not be the healthiest choice but what about vegetable shortening? It'll work in your baked goods. I'm all out right now so I can't compare the calories and fat of the two but it'll work if you absolutely can't find anything else.

Good luck!

Mary
#3 Old 05-30-2006, 06:57 AM
Veggie Regular

We get a standard blue bonnet margarine here, but I believe it has whey, D3 AND hydrogenated oils. We often get a limited selection from brands you guys get.

I am thinking vegetable shortening might be the best option, but now I'm trying to figure out if they sell organic vegetable shortening anywhere. I have not used it much in the past, do you think it would work the same way in cinnamon buns, for example, as margarine?

Thanks for your reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-30-2006, 07:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Earth Balance is the only vegan margarine that I have seen here (Halifax, NS).
#5 Old 05-30-2006, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

We get a standard blue bonnet margarine here, but I believe it has whey, D3 AND hydrogenated oils. We often get a limited selection from brands you guys get.

I am thinking vegetable shortening might be the best option, but now I'm trying to figure out if they sell organic vegetable shortening anywhere. I have not used it much in the past, do you think it would work the same way in cinnamon buns, for example, as margarine?

Thanks for your reply.

Shortening does not have the same flavor but will work. I suggest coconut oil. Plam oil works too but coconut is my first choice. I use raw, extra-virgin. Expensive but oh so worth it!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#6 Old 05-30-2006, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah regular BB is definitely not vegan.

I'm pretty sure margarine and shortening are interchangeable. It wouldn't work in a recipe that calls specifically for butter but any recipe that says butter or margarine should work just as well with shortening.

I've never seen any organic vegetable shortening but I really haven't looked for it either so I can't help with that much.

Maybe, as a last resort type thing, you can ask if it's possible for the store that gets the regular blue bonnet to get the light in? Never know, they may.

Mary
#7 Old 05-30-2006, 08:52 AM
Banned

Internet says:

You can use coconut oil (haven't used this myself cos its expensive) or vegetable shortening or canola/other vegetable oils in place of margarine in reciepes.

-Shortening makes baked goods fluffier and flakier, while oils provide a denser and heavier texture.

-Shortening can be melted and then measured according to the recipe. It should be allowed to cool slightly before adding to other ingredients.

-Don't use melted shortening in salad dressings cos it'll resolidify when it gets cold and go weird!

-Don't substitute shortening in no-bake cookie recipes, or recipes such as candies and fudge, where butter or margarine is heated/melted and sugar is added/dissolved.

-Shortening doesnt contain water, so for every 1/4 cup of margarine that you are replacing in a reciepe, you need to use 1/4 cup shortening and 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of water.

-Use the following conversion when replacing soild fats and margarines with vegetable or canola oil:

Margarine ----- Canola Oil

1 teaspoon = 3/4 teaspoon

1 tablespoon = 2-1/4 teaspoon

1/4 cup = 3 tablespoons

1/3 cup = 1/4 cup

1/2 cup = 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons

1 cup = 3/4 cup

-Where a recipe calls for 1 cup of fat or margarine, you can usually use 1/2 cup instead. Remember to replace the missing fat with a similar amount of a moist but healthful ingredient- like silken tofu, orange juice, soya yogurt, applesauce, etc. (obviously don't put applesauce or orange juice or fruit soya yogurt in a cheesey pasta sauce or it'll just be weird!).

i personally use canola oil often in cookery and it works just fine. i sometimes use a solid vegetable shortening (no name brand) where i'd use margarine, and it also works fine for me. You don't get the margarine flavour when you use a different oil, but you can buy butter flavourings (like you can buy vanilla essence) if you still want that buttery taste, apparently.
#8 Old 05-30-2006, 09:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Spectrum makes organic shortening made from non-hydrogenated palm oil. I've never used it and I don't know if it's available where you are.

http://www.spectrumorganics.com/index.php?id=87
#9 Old 05-30-2006, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I DEFINITELY second the coconut oil suggestion. I use it in all my baking and frying and it's excellent.

Willow Run margerine is another vegan margerine, and I don't think it has olive oil. I have no idea if it's avilable there.

Also, look for "Nucoa" margerine. No olive oil. It's a US brand, but I've found it sold in some grocery stores (regular ones, not HFS) in Vancouver and Victoria BC. Nucoa is a rather cheap, almost generic margerine, it's not organic or anything - it just happens to also be vegan.
#10 Old 05-30-2006, 09:44 PM
Banned

I'm curious - what are the symptoms? I had a reaction to olive oil once where my throat closed up uncomfortably for about an hour, nothing fatal, obviously. I've had the same reaction to unripe avacados and almonds. It turned out that it was just the particular brand of olive oil (or maybe just the batch), which I bought because I was out-of-town and didn't have access to my usual supplier.
#11 Old 05-30-2006, 10:15 PM

I use coconut oil in place of butter/margarine and I've been happy with the results. Yum!!
#12 Old 05-31-2006, 04:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for everyones responses.

So can the coconut oil be used pretty much the same way as margarine? (i.e. the same amounts). I was thinking I could check out the ethnic stores and maybe find a decent price on it, it seems like something they'd have.

Also, is anyone concerned about coconut oil's saturated fat? We already consume coconut milk once or twice a week in different recipes.
#13 Old 05-31-2006, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I have used coconut oil in place of marg - I find it works in some recipes and not others. When I used it in chocolate chip cookies they were really greasy and yucky. I used it in some shortbread-type cookies and it worked reasonably well but they were pretty fragile and broke more easily than the ones with marg.

I read somewhere that you're supposed to use less of it (can't remember how much) but I found that doesn't always work because the dough ends up not being the right texture to form into cookies.

And yes, it is high in saturated fat, so use sparingly, it definitely is not a health food! When I used it I used to buy Omega Nutrition brand in the natural value section of Dominion (Loblaws). I eagerly anticipate the day when vegan margarine becomes available here!
#14 Old 05-31-2006, 02:37 PM
Banned

shortening/coconut oil are not interchangeable for margarine because they contain no water whereas margarine is over 10% water. For that matter, margarine isn't a perfect substitute for butter because the water content is not the same. I believe I once posted how you could replace butter with pure fat on a cup by cup basis by using less and adding more liquid.
#15 Old 05-31-2006, 05:29 PM
Banned

yeah, i posted something similar yesterday, lol.
#16 Old 05-31-2006, 11:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Re: The supposed health benefits in coconut oil, (which I use and prefer over other oils) I thought this article was interesting - the author doesn't really say it's any worse than other oils... but he doesn't say it's any better for you than other oils either...

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/may/coconut.htm

No real point here, just posting the link in case people were wondering about coconut oil.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page