conversion....er, persuasion - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-25-2006, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

my husband is omni but i want him to enjoy "my food" so that i can start making meals for us, therefore saving money on dining out. (we work opposite schedules so we basically fend for ourselves all week and dine out on the weekends). my biggest issue with making tasty meals is flavoring! i know i probably just need to experiment but that is his only real complaint (and he does so quite considerately ), that he thinks everything i make/eat is a little too bland. you know what, i agree! where to start? i even have quite a few seasonings and spices that i've purchased that sit in the cupboard because i don't want to "test them" on an otherwise perfectly good meal. help???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-25-2006, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

You might try cooking some spicy ethnic recipes, if agreeable to both of you - curries, Mexican dishes with chile, Italian recipes with lots of herbs and garlic, oriental things heavy on ginger. You will probably do OK just adding more herbs and spices to your favorite dishes - you may go wrong occassionally, but experimenting is the only way to learn what you like.

These "good pairings" might be a place to start

tomato-based dishes - basil, oregano, garlic, parsley, crushed red pepper

potatoes - rosemary, garlic, onions, thyme

beans - chile, oregano, garlic, onion

stuffings/breadcrumb type dishes - sage, onion, parsley, thyme

oriental dishes - sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger, garlic
#3 Old 05-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Beginner

A friend of mine had that idea and it worked. She started with homeade vegan chicken and dumplings; she used those Morningstar faux chicken strips in it. She just went from there making homeade vegan biscuits, pancakes, cookies, cakes, etc. Anything that he normally enjoyed she made a vegan version and it eventually worked. He lost weight and his cholesterol dropped. Keep at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-25-2006, 04:19 PM

depending on the brand, some spices tell you what foods they go with right on the container...also, i keep spike (an all-purpose seasoning mix) in the pantry, i use it for potatoes, veggies, eggs, etc, etc...salsa is also great to stir in lots of food to give a little kick...

ever look at www.allrecipes.com ? they have a vegetarain section and also a place just for cooking tips that might help...
#5 Old 05-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been using a lot of Indian spices - curries and garam masala, etc. Makes for very tasty veggie dishes!
#6 Old 05-25-2006, 04:54 PM
Beginner

Oh yeah, here's our fav veg link:

http://www.myhq.com/public/s/u/susanv/
#7 Old 05-25-2006, 08:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet View Post

Oh yeah, here's our fav veg link:

http://www.myhq.com/public/s/u/susanv/

I have actually never seen this page before. Thanks for sharing!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#8 Old 05-25-2006, 08:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a flavor addict, no doubt about it. Nearly every seasoning is to the max with my cooking. Some seasonings I consider indispensable:

Garlic

Lemon

Vinegar (my fave is balsamic vinegar)

Cumin

Basil (fresh if possible, there's no such thing as too much)

Chipotles in adobo sauce

Tamari

Nuts

Some seasoning ideas:

- Try splashing your favorite vinegar or lemon juice over cooked greens. (Lemon juice is great over nearly any plain cooked green veggie.)

- Try fresh snipped herbs and toasted nuts over salads.

- Try vinegar, toasted nuts, or fresh basil (or better yet, all three) over Italian dishes.

- Add tamari, sake (or mirin or just sherry), or sesame oil (or better yet, all three) to Asian dishes.

- A chipotle or two and a dash of liquid smoke gives heat and smoky depth to bean soups. A splash of vinegar or citrus juice can also add that certain something to many soups that may seem a little dull.

Add garlic too... well, just about everything!
#9 Old 05-26-2006, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

ooooh! loads of really good info. thanks guys, i'll definitely be testing the waters
#10 Old 05-26-2006, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Garlic & onions is usually the answer in a pinch.
#11 Old 05-26-2006, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Oddly, even though i cook for a lot of people at times, I don't do well when people critique my cooking...

But that said - I do experiment a LOT at home until I find combinations that I think are pretty good before trying them on other people... Find some simple ethnic recipes (mexican, Indian are my suggestions) and follow the recipes to the letter... taste and add more seasonings if needed... but the recipes will be a good place to start and give you good ideas... I "Google" the words of a few recipe ingredients I would like to use and the words vegan recipe and often find GREAT ideas!! (For example: "orange ginger tofu vegan recipe" without the quotes, would result in a ton of great vegan tofu recipes using orange and ginger...)

OR... check out the Recipe section here - some GREAT tried and true recipes...

Garlic ALWAYS helps things (fresh crushed, rather than the tasteless powder).

A TEENY splash of Tobasco livens things up without much "heat" - just the pepper and vinegar give things a good "something extra"...

Tomato based sauces sometimes benefit from a pinch of SUGAR believe it or not...

Fresh chopped parsley and green onion added to virtually ANY savory dish at the last will make a HUGE difference...

Fresh-squeezed lemon juice is good too - or as someone mentioned, Balsamic Vinegar...

What things (omni) does your hubby like? BBQ? Hot and Spicy? Garlicky?

Use those flavors he's suggested as your guide and simply do searches for recipes that use those same flavors, but are vegan...

Good Luck!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page