what small appliances do you have/want? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-21-2006, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I searched and the last thread on this is two years old...

OK for some unfathomable reason, I want a kitchenaid stand mixer so badly. Vegan ravioli is absolutely not available where I live, and ravioli used to be my most favorite food. So I want the stand mixer and the pasta attachment so I can make my own (yes I know you can buy a pasta maker that clamps onto a surface, but it won't work at my place). I also want to make breads and cinnamon buns etc. I would love a red one, but will settle for black. We're basically just waiting for them to go on sale!

In the past few months I have acquired several new small appliances, which I LOVE:

http://www.kitchenaid.ca/en/ProductF...4KFP750OB.html

http://www.cuisinart.ca/cgi-bin/inde...C&cat=blenders

I would also like to get this sometime. I do have a rice cooker, but it's not as nice as this one.

http://www.cuisinart.ca/cgi-bin/inde...em_id=CRC-800C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-21-2006, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Is the entire cooker stainless steel? I SO want it if it is!!!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 05-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Veggie Regular

:whistles: Nice choices!

At this point, I think I own all the small appliances that'll I'll actually use, and will fit in my kitchen.

A few that I use more than I ever expected:
  • Immersion ["stick"] blender - for blending soups and sauces right in the cooking pot, or quickly emulsifying salad dressings.

• Electric juicer - I juice 6 or 8 fresh lemons each week, and store the juice in a jar in the fridge. We've made big batches of lemonade, and fresh orange juice too.

• Electric grinders - The spice grinder actually gets more use than the coffee ginder at my house!

• Breadmachine - It mixes, kneads and raises dough for loaves, rolls, pizza, calzones, and breadsticks, and more importantly, it has a setting to make perfect rice!

By the way, a great source for offbeat appliances is thrift shops. I paid US$5 each for the first 3 items on my list above!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-21-2006, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I really want to get a blender soon.
#5 Old 05-21-2006, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

My most used small appliances are:

Rival Smart Crockpot (in white)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=284507

My favorite tool is my Kitchenaid Immersion Blender (w/ attachments)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ance&n=1055398

And my Cuisinart Blender and Food Processor set (in white)

The most life saving appliace I ever owned was back when I rented my grandparent's basement apartment...it didn't have a stove

A toaster oven w/ burners!

I would really like a Vitamix blender, and also one of the standing Kitchenaid mixers (for baking)

Fun thread meaty!!!
#6 Old 05-21-2006, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Is the entire cooker stainless steel? I SO want it if it is!!!

I believe it is. It's such a beauty.
#7 Old 05-21-2006, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenM View Post

:whistles: Nice choices!

Thanks

I also have:

- coffee bean grinder (for spices)

- my old food processor (I hold on to things forever)

- a mini chopper

- a waffle maker

- a rice cooker

- a steamer

- my old blender
#8 Old 05-21-2006, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a Kitchenaid Stand Mixer, and a Cuisinart Mini Prep

I'd love a full sized cuisinart, an immersion blender, and a waffle iron. And a juicer. Mmm Juice.

I keep telling my bf I just want to get married for the kitchen appliances!!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 05-21-2006, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vggiegirl View Post

The most life saving appliace I ever owned was back when I rented my grandparent's basement apartment...it didn't have a stove

A toaster oven w/ burners!

omg is that ever friggin cute.
#10 Old 05-21-2006, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I have a Kitchenaid Stand Mixer, and a Cuisinart Mini Prep

I'd love a full sized cuisinart, an immersion blender, and a waffle iron. And a juicer. Mmm Juice.

I keep telling my bf I just want to get married for the kitchen appliances!!

Please tell me about the stand mixer. Give me reasons I can tell my husband why we MUST have one.
#11 Old 05-21-2006, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

ACTUALLY, I started a similar thread that is significantly less than 2 years old... ...but that's OK, really!

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=44063

Anyway, I have very few gadgets/appliances, and I want very few. I have a Cuisinart food processor (Yule gift last year) and a Cuisinart blender that are not nearly as nice as yours, Meatless. I use them often. I have a pretty nice Gevalia coffeemaker with thermal carafe that I rarely use. Our toaster oven died a few years ago, and we haven't felt any need to replace it. Ditto our hand-held mixer and immersion blender. I got sick of buying these pieces of crap that die after six months, so I just said, "Who the hell needs you?" I'm trying to live by Thoreau's motto: Simplify, simplify.

I used to have a breadmaker and juicer that I used so rarely I got rid of them. Mr. Tess kept saying he wanted to make bread by hand, and never actually did it. Ironically, as soon as we got rid of the breadmaker, we went right back to talking about how great it would be to have super-easy home-made bread! Really, someone should just slap us.
#12 Old 05-21-2006, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, I used a different search term.
#13 Old 05-21-2006, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

Please tell me about the stand mixer. Give me reasons I can tell my husband why we MUST have one.

Does your husband enjoy baked goods? That's the #1 reason to have one. My brother and sister got me one for my birthday so I could make them more cookies. It also kneads bread dough! Homemade bread! YAY! And homemade pizza.

BTW, on the ravioli front... Won Ton wrappers make good ravioli "skins" -- though I don't know how available vegan won ton wrappers are either..

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#14 Old 05-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

DI don't know how available vegan won ton wrappers are either..

I have not been able to find them, but I haven't hit the Asian markets. But as ravioli wrappers, I find them awfully thin and delicate. I'd prefer the heartier, thicker texture of Italian-style pasta.

I would love to bake more (though I'm not sure my hips would thank me), and almost-automatic homemade bread and pasta sound like godsends. I guess I should admit that a good KitchenAid stand mixer is the one gadget I've been craving for years. But egad, my apartment kitchen doesn't have room for it!
#15 Old 05-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegan won ton wrappers are not available here. Believe me, I've searched high and low, dozens of health food stores, asian markets, regular grocery stores, for vegan ravioli or ways to make it. I've put in requests with Soy Boy and that other kind (soy moon?) to bring them to my city, but they will not do it. Making it myself is the only way I'm going to get it. Of course, I'm sure no sooner would I get a mixer, than soy boy will start selling their ravioli in canada or something.

Yeah I bake a lot already... I think the stand mixer might just make it a bit easier?
#16 Old 05-21-2006, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate to think of myself as the kind of person who acquires a bunch of appliances, but I do have a bunch of them!

Toaster oven - use every day

Coffee maker - ditto

Coffee grinder - yeah, again

Blender

Food processor - use once a week or so

Handheld mixer

Breadmachine - use every other day

My favorite is my solar cooker, but it probably doesn't qualify as an "appliance" plus I need to fix it so I can use it this summer, it's all warped from getting rained on (it's mostly cardboard)
#17 Old 05-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post

My favorite is my solar cooker, but it probably doesn't qualify as an "appliance" plus I need to fix it so I can use it this summer, it's all warped from getting rained on (it's mostly cardboard)

Can you explain, please? What is this?? A mostly cardboard cooker???
#18 Old 05-21-2006, 08:28 PM
Beginner

My boyfriend works at Williams Sonoma, so we get a great discount there (although it's still overpriced). I have a very full kitchen, but I still want a

1) Juicer

2) Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer

3) Bread Maker

We both love to cook, and these are the last kitchen toys I want. (for now)
#19 Old 05-21-2006, 08:30 PM
Beginner

Oh, and my food processor is my favorite kitchen tool!
#20 Old 05-21-2006, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a coffee station , a food processer, a coffee bean grinder and I dunno if a crock pot even counts.

I would love to have a juicer, as it stands I use the food processer and then use cheesecloth to strain the pulp from it

All my breads I make by hand anyway so no need for a bread machine but I wish there was someone who would come out with a portable stone oven
#21 Old 05-22-2006, 12:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I have:

A blender which I use for my breakfast smoothie every morning

A pie maker which is heaps of fun

A toasted sandwich maker

And my pride and joy, a breadmaker
#22 Old 05-22-2006, 01:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I have:

o GE food processor -occasional use

o Rowenta Toaster - occasional use

o Imperia pasta roller, no silly motor attachment (pumpkin ravioli)

o Zojirushi rice cooker - not used so often these days as I'm trying to eat less starch and more raw

o K-Tec ├╝berblender - frequent use for smoothies and salad dressing, the carafe is more friendly than Vita-Mix's

o OXO mandoline - I mostly use this for thin slicing when making raw veggie chips. For daily slicing I usually use my Kyocera ceramic knives, which are a lot faster to clean.

o Used to have a breadmaker, gave it to my sister

o Spiral slicer, some brand from Japan that discountjuicers.com had on clearance. The insert broke almost immediately which I was less than pleased about. I use this for making raw "spaghetti" from zucchini and confetti carrots/beets to make salads more interesting

o Marble mortar/pestle - grind dried spices to wake them up a bit, including black pepper when my mill is being pissy

o Pizzelle iron - haven't used this in quite a while, as my last attempt to veganize the recipe took three hours to clean up.

o Excalibur dehydrator

o Used to have a cute Braun hand/immersion mixer but got rid of it as I never had a use for it.

o No coffee device as I don't care for the stuff

Wishlist:

o Some sort of grinder for flax seed, though the K-Tec probably would work just fine

o A juicer to squeeze ginger and galangal. Wouldn't get used very often. I thought I was getting good deal on a Champion but the seller didn't come through.

o The best kitchen companion though would be a vegan woman to share it all with.
#23 Old 05-22-2006, 05:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

Can you explain, please? What is this?? A mostly cardboard cooker???

Yes! It is the incredible solar cooker, made of cardboard but cooks food like an oven!

Plans: http://solarcooking.org/minimum.htm

I found to get temps high enough I needed to add "wings" on the sides of the reflector to concentrate more sun on the cooker.

It's really fun to use - I cooked many of our meals with it last summer. It made me feel all environmentally friendly and stuff.
#24 Old 05-22-2006, 06:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh yeah I have a toaster and coffee maker too.

Ludi, I don't like to think of myself as someone who "aquires" either. The way I see it, I'm trying to avoid pre-packaged foods a lot more, and the best way for me to do that is to buy the raw materials (preferably organic and local when possible) and make my own stuff!
#25 Old 05-22-2006, 06:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a juicer - but I rarely use it anymore.

Electric tea kettle

Toaster

Food processor

Slow cooker

I had a blender and a mixer but I think it may have gotten nicked when I moved.

I try not to keep too many appliances. In fact, I think the juice may be headed to Goodwill in the near future.
#26 Old 05-22-2006, 08:44 AM
Banned

Have
  • Blenders
    • Waring PBB
    • Cuisinart (will probably get rid of this at some point)
  • Kitchen Aid toaster
  • Kitchen Aid coffe grinder
  • Kitchen Aid Food Processor
  • Bodum hot pot
  • Cuisinart hand mixer
  • Capresso drip coffee maker

Want
  • Espresso machine
  • Viking stand mixer
#27 Old 05-22-2006, 10:49 AM
Veggie Regular

My pride and joy is my Kitchen Aid deluxe food processor that my parents bought me for graduation. I also have a nice toaster that my grandfather got me for Christmas. It's huge and I have no idea what all it can do.

What I'd like:

1. juicer

2. better blender (the one I have now is awful)

3. bread maker (maybe...thus far I've been unsuccessful at making yeast breads by hand)

4. pasta maker (even though we have more variety of ravioli available in the states, most of it is not whole wheat).

5. crock pot (maybe--don't know how useful it would be opposed to the stove)

Not sure about a rice cooker or a stand mixer. I currently make rice on the stove and it works fine. I also have a hand mixer and it also works fine.
#28 Old 05-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Sadly, I am the gadget queen--just ask my husband. When it comes to gift giving situations I'd much rather have a small appliance instead of jewelry.

I have a KitchenAid stand mixer, a Vitamix blender, a KitchenAid food processor, a Cuisinart ice cream maker, a crockpot, a griddle....and the list goes on. I got rid of my breadmaker because I really prefer to make it with the KitchenAid and the breadmaker took up valuble counter space.

I'd like to buy an immersion blender, but have not because I have the Vitamix and the food processor and feel guilty about buying something to do what I already have the appliances for.

I also want to buy a toaster/convection oven. It is just the 2 of us now and I hate heating up a whole oven just for us.
#29 Old 05-22-2006, 02:13 PM
Beginner

My fav appliance is my Soymilk machine, it's so cool and saves me tons of money. I use soymilk that I make in it to cook with but for straight drinking I usually drink Silk. I've probably saved hundreds of dollars just by making my own soymilk to cook with.

Secondly, I love my food processor. It has been used so much. I paid like $30 bucks for it a few years back and it gets used at least 3-7 times a week.
#30 Old 05-22-2006, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

One can NEVER have too many kitchen applicances...

I'm running out of counter space.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page