#1 Old 05-11-2006, 01:42 PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-11-2006, 02:29 PM
Banned

Mine is Corelle.
#3 Old 05-11-2006, 02:30 PM
Veggie Regular

i use wood. i grew up using it and have continued to since i heard about the things youlink to above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-11-2006, 03:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Does a Corelle cutting board dull the knife quickly? The second article Soilman linked mentioned toward the end that glass cutting boards probably do, and that allegedly presents other safety hazards.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#5 Old 05-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Banned

A glass cutting board will dull a knife very rapidly, since glass is harder than steel, and flattens the knife-edge (which is simply a wedge or complex wedge). That is why wood or plastic resin is used. The knife cuts into the wood or resin, rather than the resin flattening the knife. You get a tiny bit of wood fibers in your food -- harmless -- or a tiny bit of plastic resin fibers (less) -- probably not enough to cause one to need to worry about it.

You can dice maybe 20 carrots on a hard-maple cutting board before you need to sharpen your knife with a sharpening stone (also harder than steel, but it abrades the steel, rather than bashes it flat, relatively.) Less than one carrot on a glass cutting board will probably dull your knife. You won't be able to finish dicing one carrot -- your knife edge will become too dull to finish the job, unless you are using a serrated knife (the undercut areas won't contact the cutting board, only the tips will become dull).

To test sharpness, simply cut a piece of computer printer paper. It should slice thru the paper easily, without much "sawing." Just knick the edge of the paper, then push thru with one stroke. If the paper tends to rips instead of cutint cleanly, and requires back and forth sawing rather than goes down a few inches when pushed or pulled in only one direction -- then you need to sharpen your knife.

simply buy a cheap oilstone, put light oil (like 3-in-one brand) oil on it, then reshape your knife edge - this is hard to describe in words. Much easier to show. But basicly you just abrade the edge down on both sides evenly, to about the same angle that it was originally. 30 degrees total for the 2 edges (each plane 15 degrees from the plane thru the center of the knife) making sure you have created a "line of points," rather than a line of flat spots.
#6 Old 05-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Banned

i prefer plastic
#7 Old 05-11-2006, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Having had both, I prefer wood, it dulls the knife less and is easier to clean. The plastic absorbed food gunk in a way that made it very hard to clean.
#8 Old 05-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I use wooden ones, mostly because that's what my parents use.
#9 Old 05-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

plastic. You can put it in the dishwasher.
#10 Old 05-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Banned

Since most of my cutting is done in little food processors, dulling a knife is the least of my worries.
#11 Old 05-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a plastic one because it's really easy to clean
#12 Old 05-11-2006, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I have one that's bamboo, and I like it a lot.
#13 Old 05-11-2006, 11:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a bamboo one and a plastic one.

I HATE HATE HATE the glass ones with a passion - they DO dull your knives, they can 'scratch' and get splinters of glass off (scarey!) AND the sound of steel on glass is worse than nails on a chalkboard for me... <<shudder>>
#14 Old 05-12-2006, 01:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Mine is marble--it was originally the seat to an antique piano stool. It has been used as a cutting board in my family for probably 15 years. I never thought about it until now. I liked the way it was so hard and cold.

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#15 Old 05-12-2006, 03:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I use a Boos reversible cutting board. It has a concave side that is great when cutting melons, tomatoes or anything that tends to expell a lot of juice.

They sell them at Williams-Sonoma for $199.
LL
ilikekale likes this.
#16 Old 05-12-2006, 07:11 AM

I have a tempered glass board and don't have a problem with my knives going dull. They are the serrated style knives.
#17 Old 05-12-2006, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Wood = natural, plastic = chemical derived. That's all the arguement that I need.
#18 Old 04-10-2014, 10:32 PM

everyone i need to know is cotton canvas coated with resin vegan friendly or not?

Thank you very much

#19 Old 04-11-2014, 06:02 AM
Bracing for snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam alshebany View Post

everyone i need to know is cotton canvas coated with resin vegan friendly or not?

Thank you very much

It would depend on the resin. Very likely it's some form of plastic and fine (by vegan standards) but as mentioned, plastic has it's issues.

That said, mine is plastic. As an omni I used to run it through the dishwasher (on sanitize) after every meat use. As a veg, I'm not nearly as worried about that. Now I really want an end grain bamboo.

Ken
#20 Old 04-11-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikekale View Post

It would depend on the resin. Very likely it's some form of plastic and fine (by vegan standards) but as mentioned, plastic has it's issues.

That said, mine is plastic. As an omni I used to run it through the dishwasher (on sanitize) after every meat use. As a veg, I'm not nearly as worried about that. Now I really want an end grain bamboo.

Ken

so plastic resin coating is vegan friendly right?

thanky you very much

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page