Natural Peanut Butter - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I have heard to keep the oil on top of the jar in the pb but i just ran across this at hungrygirl.com

Quote:
Experts say peanut butter is a good food choice for people who are watching their weight. While it's not exactly low in calories or fat, the fat in peanut butter is the heart-healthy kind that makes your hair shiny and your nails strong, but doesn't clog your arteries. It's also super-filling, which is good since you should keep your portions small. I usually use just half the recommended serving size (one Tbsp. instead of two), so I can keep my intake at under 100 calories. My favorite peanut butters are Reduced Fat Skippy, or natural peanut butter. When I use natural peanut butter I pour all of the excess oil off before stirring (why mix that goop in there?). According to my nutritionist pals, The The Dish Divas, my little de-oiling tip saves 120 calories for each Tbsp. of oil you pour. Get rid of two and your jar is down 240 calories and 26.5 grams of fat, which works out to about 17 calories and 2 fat grams less per serving. Not too shabby! If you're feeling adventurous, you can check out "Peanut Wonder" (aka Better'n Peanut Butter), a peanut butter substitute that has just 100 calories and 2.5g of fat per serving. I've tried it -- and it's interesting. Not great alone but not a bad spread to pair with jelly, an apple or a chocolate Vitalicious VitaTop. Enjoy your PB!

does it really make it 17 calories and two grams of fat?? I always thought that draining the liquid would make it dry...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

the whole things seems ridiculous to me--stir the oil in!! and i bet it would be dry. peanut butter fat=good for you!
#3 Old 05-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I stir it in, but I guess if you're looking for easy ways of cutting your fat intake or if you eat a lot of peanut butter, pouring off some oil isn't a bad idea. As the article says though, it's good fat, so as long as you're not eating too much of it, I wouldn't worry about it. No dry peanut butter for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-10-2006, 04:16 PM

I stir it in also..then add it to oatmeal.. YUMMY!
#5 Old 05-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I have poured it off--it is dry and stiff. Now I mix it in.
#6 Old 05-10-2006, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I mix it in and store the jar upside down. But I only eat it a few times per week and at that less then an tablespoon. I work it into my fat intake for the day, yummy and helps with any hungry feeling.
#7 Old 05-10-2006, 08:37 PM

TIP!

We all know the oil is a pain and gets messy, so I have a suggestion (maybe you all do this already):

When you store the jad of PB in your pantry turn it upside down. When you open it, the oil is basically mixed in already

You may to stir just a bit, but at least the mess is gone

Good Luck!
#8 Old 05-10-2006, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrylove View Post

TIP!

We all know the oil is a pain and gets messy, so I have a suggestion (maybe you all do this already):

When you store the jad of PB in your pantry turn it upside down. When you open it, the oil is basically mixed in already

You may to stir just a bit, but at least the mess is gone

Good Luck!

Hehe, I just said that. But we seem to think alike
#9 Old 05-10-2006, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSiren View Post

Hehe, I just said that. But we seem to think alike

What a strange coincidence!

How is everything? This must be your busy time of year?
#10 Old 05-10-2006, 09:47 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegWithEdge View Post

I have heard to keep the oil on top of the jar in the pb but i just ran across this at hungrygirl.com

does it really make it 17 calories and two grams of fat?? I always thought that draining the liquid would make it dry...

"my little de-oiling tip saves 120 calories for each Tbsp. of oil you pour. Get rid of two and your jar is down 240 calories and 26.5 grams of fat, which works out to about 17 calories and 2 fat grams less per serving."

I can see this making sense, but it's 17 measly calories per two tablespoons. i say screw it, please your body and your tastebuds.
#11 Old 05-11-2006, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

^^^ I firmly agree!

Besides, life's too short to eat dry pb just to save 17 measly calories....
#12 Old 05-11-2006, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I stirred in the oils today and enjoyed a nice creamy spoonful of pb
#13 Old 05-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Veggie Regular

#14 Old 05-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I routinely de-oil my PB, and if you overdo it, yeah, it becomes stiff and dry. But moderate de-oiling takes it from a very runny consistency that drips to a firmer but still creamy texture that is more like the PB I grew up with. So I would recommend de-oiling to anyone who finds it too runny otherwise. But to save a measly 17 calories per tablespoon? That sounds a little obsessive to me.
#15 Old 05-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Banned

here in israel they importing some natural peanut butter from canada that is homogeneous, meaning the that oil doesn't float on top after storing it.

Tip:

ricecake spreaded with peanut butter is crunchy and pretty tasty.
#16 Old 05-11-2006, 05:04 PM
Banned

if you want to see obsessive, search for some posts about peanut butter by a former user named artichoke47
#17 Old 05-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

if you want to see obsessive, search for some posts about peanut butter by a former user named artichoke47

OMG---that is too funny!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page