vegs for breakfast - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Usually I only have toast or oatmeal for breakfast. How can I get more veggies in my diet for breakfast?

Any suggestions, recipes?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

There's no law that says that you have to have breakfast food for breakfast.

Make a stir fry.

Also, go to the recipe section and search for tofu scramble. You can probably punch up the recipes by adding more veggies of your choice, such as julienned carrots or broccoli.

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 05-10-2006, 01:06 PM

this is my Sunday big breakfast:

sauteed polenta slices topped with black beans with mild salsa

fried sliced tomato and red onion with spinach

toast and orange slices

or

Cold Vegan Pizza!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-10-2006, 02:17 PM

try pickle salad it, taste great
#5 Old 05-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

a tofu scramble would be awesome. I love that so much i sometimes have it for dinner! When i'm in a hurry or sick of toast, i slice up some red peppers and cucumbers and munch on those for breakfast. If at the end of the day you feel like you havnt had enough veggies, just pile them on one huge salad!
#6 Old 05-10-2006, 02:29 PM

smoothies...hashbrown potatoes with your favorite veggies thrown in...and, yeah, cold leftovers are always good...
#7 Old 05-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I like baked beans and toast points for breakfast. Mmmmmm.
#8 Old 05-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a tofu scramble or veggie stir fry (curried, Asian, or herbed Italian styles) for breakfast every day. May even throw them in wonton wrappers or in small corn or wheat tortillas. Yum!
#9 Old 05-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I like leftover asian vegetable stir fry for breakfast. Extra bonus if there is rice or quinoa left over too!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#10 Old 05-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you for all these great suggestions!

I'm inspired.
#11 Old 05-10-2006, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Wheat grass juice is a good way to get some leafy greens in for breakfast.
#12 Old 05-10-2006, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Smoothies are definitely a way to get some fruit in, and if you're adventurous enough, you can try mixing in some veggies. You can also sneak that wheatgrass in.

I like to have breakfast tacos made with skillet potatoes, tofu scramble, maybe some veggie breakfast sausage or bacon, and salsa wrapped up in whole wheat tortillas. My skillet potatoes are a rainbow-colored affair, with diced carrots, zucchini, onion, peppers, and whatever other veggies I have on hand. It all goes in. It's a bit work-intensive for a morning, so what I like to do is make it for dinner one night, and then the leftovers are easy to heat up.
#13 Old 05-11-2006, 12:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm with Tess...

I make "home fries" with white and sweet potatoes, onions, red and green peppers, leeks, garlic and mushrooms.. usually I'll make the night before and reheat. SO YUMMY!

The home fried potato mixture is also good as a breakfast burrito with some additional scrambled tofu or black beans, some zucchini or yellow squash, pico de gallo and I'll even add shredded cabbage or kale, and carrots. (Oh duh, I guess Tess beat me to that idea too).

I'll sneak shredded zucchini and carrot and corn into pancakes, my kids know the veggies are there but don't mind...

Also, home-made cornbread with whole kernal corn and lots of chopped bits of red bell pepper (we eat it with Earth Balance and honey)... yummy stuff!
#14 Old 05-11-2006, 05:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I grew up eating noodle soup for breakfast. You can add veggies to the soup too. You can use the instant stuff but just skip the high sodium flavor packet. Make your own broth. It's more nutritional.
#15 Old 05-11-2006, 05:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I think I'll try the "home fries" idea as suggested, make them in the evening & reheat in the morning. I'm sooo unmotivated in the morning...
#16 Old 05-11-2006, 06:07 AM
Veggie Regular

in the fall/winter i love to have buttercup squash baked with some molasses and apples in the center with breakfast. sooooo nice.

and i also do the tofu scramble with cauliflower and corn.
#17 Old 05-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Ooh, ooh, pumpkin pie! It sounds decadent and ridiculous, but pumpkin is really a super healthy food, and if you make a recipe that's not too loaded with high-fat dairy and eggs and lots of sugar (yes, healthier pumpkin pie recipes DO exist), it's not that crazy of a breakfast. I normally only get to have it the week after Thanksgiving, but yum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-sprouts View Post

(Oh duh, I guess Tess beat me to that idea too).

You know what they say about great minds...
#18 Old 05-11-2006, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I make biscuits and mushroom gravy frequently, you can add peppers, onions, or any other veggies you like to the gravy as well.
#19 Old 05-11-2006, 05:00 PM

My fave breakfast is porridge made with soya milk with lots of dried fruits, especially blueberries and cranberries then I throw in fresh berries, some mixed seeds and some nuts. I chop up an apple or a banana and throw that in too. It's so nice, sweet and filling, I call it my power porridge lol.
#20 Old 05-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Biscuits and mushroom gravy....oh my.....

pumpkin pie......

#21 Old 05-11-2006, 11:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Tess, too funny! We make the Mori-Nu version of vegan pumpkin pie for breakfast fairly often (on their website but I'm too lazy too link..) without a crust (so it's more like a pumpkin custard I guess).

I get a craving probably about once a month or so...

Also a couple more breakfast ideas are zucchini bread and carrot 'cake' (using a fairly healthy vegan version)... my kids grab a slice on the way out the door to school all the time... I guess it's better than PopTarts...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page