Making Tofu for a friend, Any ideas? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-27-2006, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I've invited an omni friend and her husband over for dinner tomorrow and I've promised to make tofu; she's curious about it. I'm planning on making a stir-fry of some kind but any suggestions would be wonderful.

What are your favorite omni-friendly tofu recipies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-27-2006, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I get extra-firm tofu and do the following:

1. Squeeze the water out of it by wrapping it in a dish towel and putting an iron frying pan (a large book would work too) on top of it for a 1/2 hour or so

2. Cut it into thin pieces

3. Dip the pieces in soy sauce

4. Lay the pieces out on an oiled cookie sheet

5. Bake in a 400 degree oven for about a 1/2 hour or more (until crispy). Turn the pieces over somewhere in the middle of cooking.

Then I just add the crispy pieces to my stir fry. It's a great way to get crispy, flavorful tofu without deep frying.
#3 Old 04-27-2006, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I do think that it's best to introduce people to tofu with as firm of a texture as you can get it. The press method described above should do the trick. Get it into your stir fry pan very early too.

I love a stir fry with tofu, carrots, zucchini, broccoli, mushrooms, bell peppers, baby corn, shredded purple cabbage, and cashews. For a sauce, I combine soy sauce, peanut butter, molasses, and sesame oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-27-2006, 11:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't tried baking it in a while, it sounds good.

Thank you.
#5 Old 04-27-2006, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

My boyfriend likes it best drained and well pressed, then coated in corn starch and fried. He makes all kinds of dips to dip it in, since it's just use we usually make half a block of tofu like that as an appetizer and then use the rest in the stirfry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page