Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-25-2006, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular

So, um, now what do I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-26-2006, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I use mine often for steaming baby carrots and broccoli. Carrots go in the bottom compartment first, then after they've steamed some, I put the broccoli in the top compartment for quick steaming. Its the perfect way to cook these things - they stay crisp and very colorful.
#3 Old 04-26-2006, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Good idea! I'll try that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-26-2006, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

You can buy bags of frozen veggie potstickers at Asian markets (SOME times at other grocery stores too but I mentioned the Asian ones 'cause they are usually cheaper and better) anyway, yeah - those steam wonderfully...

Also, as mentioned, veggies. I'll steam any sort of veggie, larger ones in the bottom, smaller ones up top. Yum.
#5 Old 04-26-2006, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Potstickers are good and so are red bean buns and any other veg*n buns you can find in an Asian market.
#6 Old 04-27-2006, 12:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Good luck with your steamer, Medesha, I've been wanting one for ever so long. Let us know how it handles. I've been having trouble making sticky rice and I was thinking maybe a bamboo steamer might be the answer.
#7 Old 04-27-2006, 12:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Steaming is probably the healthiest way to cook food. I steamed my veggies in a bamboo steamer before I became a raw foodist.
#8 Old 04-27-2006, 01:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I've got a bamboo steamer, and the first time I used it, the water kept boiling off, so that the steamer started to scorch on the bottom. Any tips to stop this? Does the steamer need to be in a pot big enough so you can close the lid to stop the steam escaping? Is that a stupid question?

Anyway, I steamed some Asian veggie dumplings that time, they were great
#9 Old 04-27-2006, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madder View Post

...the first time I used it, the water kept boiling off, so that the steamer started to scorch on the bottom... Does the steamer need to be in a pot big enough so you can close the lid to stop the steam escaping?

Yes, the pan needs to be big enough to stop the steam escaping. Preferably the same size as the steamer so that it sits neatly on top of the pan. And be sure to put enough water in so that it doesn't boil off.
#10 Old 04-27-2006, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Well I found a pan big enough for the steamer to cover, and I "broke it in" yesterday by steaming it empty (that's what the instructions said to do). Thanks for all the tips! I got some veggie potstickers and veggie dumplings I'm dying to try!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page