VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   General Food Discussions (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/)
-   -   I got a bamboo steamer! (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/49124-i-got-bamboo-steamer.html)

Medesha 04-26-2006 12:55 AM

So, um, now what do I do?

Seusomon 04-26-2006 10:08 AM

I use mine often for steaming baby carrots and broccoli. Carrots go in the bottom compartment first, then after they've steamed some, I put the broccoli in the top compartment for quick steaming. Its the perfect way to cook these things - they stay crisp and very colorful.

Medesha 04-26-2006 03:47 PM

Good idea! I'll try that.

Tofu-N-Sprouts 04-26-2006 04:08 PM

You can buy bags of frozen veggie potstickers at Asian markets (SOME times at other grocery stores too but I mentioned the Asian ones 'cause they are usually cheaper and better) anyway, yeah - those steam wonderfully...

Also, as mentioned, veggies. I'll steam any sort of veggie, larger ones in the bottom, smaller ones up top. Yum.

tearhsong2 04-26-2006 07:12 PM

Potstickers are good and so are red bean buns and any other veg*n buns you can find in an Asian market.

kyliemc 04-27-2006 01:41 AM

Good luck with your steamer, Medesha, I've been wanting one for ever so long. Let us know how it handles. I've been having trouble making sticky rice and I was thinking maybe a bamboo steamer might be the answer.

SamuelWilson 04-27-2006 01:44 AM

Steaming is probably the healthiest way to cook food. I steamed my veggies in a bamboo steamer before I became a raw foodist.

madder 04-27-2006 02:52 AM

I've got a bamboo steamer, and the first time I used it, the water kept boiling off, so that the steamer started to scorch on the bottom. Any tips to stop this? Does the steamer need to be in a pot big enough so you can close the lid to stop the steam escaping? Is that a stupid question?

Anyway, I steamed some Asian veggie dumplings that time, they were great

ShortLegs75 04-27-2006 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madder View Post

...the first time I used it, the water kept boiling off, so that the steamer started to scorch on the bottom... Does the steamer need to be in a pot big enough so you can close the lid to stop the steam escaping?

Yes, the pan needs to be big enough to stop the steam escaping. Preferably the same size as the steamer so that it sits neatly on top of the pan. And be sure to put enough water in so that it doesn't boil off.

Medesha 04-27-2006 12:55 PM

Well I found a pan big enough for the steamer to cover, and I "broke it in" yesterday by steaming it empty (that's what the instructions said to do). Thanks for all the tips! I got some veggie potstickers and veggie dumplings I'm dying to try!