VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   General Food Discussions (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/)
-   -   What to do with tomato guts? (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/48474-what-do-tomato-guts.html)

Tesseract 04-13-2006 05:11 PM

We're making Tomatoes Rockefeller (tomatoes stuffed with spinach, bread crumbs and a little cheese, bound together with an egg) tonight, and after scooping the tomatoes out to be stuffed, we have this bowl of leftover tomato innards and juice. The recipe suggests that the leftover innards can be used in sauces or soups, but I could use a more specific suggestion, if anyone has one. Any ideas?

Pinkerton 04-13-2006 05:16 PM

I always use "what should I do with this now that I used what I need" veggies and fruits for smoothies.

rawgirl 04-13-2006 05:25 PM

You could always freeze it and get some out whenever you are going to make marinara sauce or veggie soup or something you could use it in.

Tesseract 04-13-2006 05:30 PM

Actually, it turns out we have two leftover tomatoes that got scooped but not stuffed (we ran out of stuffing), so maybe I'll have to search for a stuffed tomato recipe that also uses some guts in the stuffing.

Amy SF 04-13-2006 05:36 PM

Tess:

Don't say "guts" or innards". This is a veg*an site, remember...

mazikeen 04-13-2006 05:53 PM

Well, whenever we make rice-stuffed tomatoes in my family, the 'inside' (no visceral references, Amy!) of the tomatoes always goes in the stuffing. Yummy.

4EverGrounded 04-13-2006 06:01 PM

Run it through a food mill (if you have one), and use it for spanish rice.

Tesseract 04-13-2006 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Tess:

Don't say "guts" or innards". This is a veg*an site, remember...

Guts I'll give you. But heck, even a clock or a computer can have innards! Why not a tomato??

I don't have a food mill, but the spanish rice idea is a good one. Mazikeen, wanna share your recipe for rice-stuffed tomatoes?

karenM 04-13-2006 06:30 PM

Make a Tomato Tartare with Tomato Water:

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/a...h-tomato-water

Tesseract 04-13-2006 09:10 PM

Hey, that's an awesome recipe for leftover tomato! BTW, Tomatoes Rockefeller = Yumminess! And I bet it could be veganized without too much trouble-- I just have a rule that I always make a new recipe exactly by the book the first time I make it, so I did it with the egg and cheese.

mazikeen 04-14-2006 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

Mazikeen, wanna share your recipe for rice-stuffed tomatoes?

Oops, just saw this! I'll ask my mum (the chef of the family) for her recipe and post it tomorrow.

anthony11 04-15-2006 02:47 AM

You posted this right after posting about chili. Answered your own question, you did

hippymama 04-15-2006 10:44 AM

Salsa. mmmm

Ayrlin 04-15-2006 09:53 PM

Bleh tomato guts sorry but I greatly dislike them, however I love them in my compost pile course more often than not I get baby tomatos growing all over which I will not complain about.

Tesseract 04-16-2006 08:27 AM

Hmm, chili. Hmm, salsa. I looked at my handiest recipe for chili, and it calls for 3 cups of tomato with juice, and I don't quite have that much, but we are planning to get a couple more tomatoes and stuff them, so I think a pot of chili may be in the works! Salsa would be better for the warm weather, but salsa means chips at my house, and I'm trying to stay away from them!

DeflatorMouse 04-16-2006 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

What to do with tomato guts?

1. Dab them on your lips & chin the morning after a full moon. Wake up your honey by saying, "Ohhh... where was I last night?"

2. Slop them on your hands and tell the newspapers it's stigmata. (Helps if you also have an eggplant that looks like the Virgin Mary)

3. Natural alternative to brake fluid.

4. Tomato guts are great for getting out club soda stains.

Aside from that, I'm pretty sure they have no use in nature. I always try to eat the tomato in one gulp so I don't have to worry about them.

froggythefrog 04-16-2006 08:55 PM

Hmmmm..... putting them in a blender with garlic and onion and chiles or red pepper powder could not possibly be bad.

mazikeen 04-17-2006 11:10 AM

Ok, got the rice-stuffed tomatoes recipe finally. Here goes:

1/2 kg short grain rice*

2 medium onions, finely diced

1 grated courgette (aka zucchini)

Tomatoes and/or peppers (not sure about exact number. If using only peppers, then tomato juice is needed)

Olive oil

Spearmint (dried or fresh)

Dill (fresh)

Feta cheese grated (optional)

Instructions: Clean the tomatoes and cut off their tops. Empty their insides into a bowl and pulp the contents of the bowl. Arrange tomatoes in a baking tray and set aside. Mix the remaining ingredients except for the olive oil in a large bowl and then spoon into the tomatoes (or peppers). Pour the tomato juice into each of the stuffed tomatoes. The tomato juice is used instead of water in this recipe. Place the caps back on the tomatoes and pour a drizzle of olive oil over them. Add 1-1 1/2 cup of water in the tray and bake at 200 C for 30 minutes, or until the rice is cooked.

* Note: If you choose to use whole-grain rice, make sure to cook it for 30 minutes before using it, otherwise it'll be all chewy and uncooked.

Tesseract 04-17-2006 07:29 PM

Sounds good, thanks!

schuermanator 07-18-2018 01:53 PM

i'm sorry, but that's ridiculous... it is a descriptor. A single word can cause you to scold someone else... that's just sad.

silva 07-18-2018 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schuermanator (Post 4118290)
i'm sorry, but that's ridiculous... it is a descriptor. A single word can cause you to scold someone else... that's just sad.

You mean about not using the words guts or innards 'cause we're vegan? :eek: That was a joke....:laugh:

bobbyyan 07-19-2018 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tesseract (Post 1172671)
We're making Tomatoes Rockefeller (tomatoes stuffed with spinach, bread crumbs and a little cheese, bound together with an egg) tonight, and after scooping the tomatoes out to be stuffed, we have this bowl of leftover tomato innards and juice. The recipe suggests that the leftover innards can be used in sauces or soups, but I could use a more specific suggestion, if anyone has one. Any ideas?

So you've hollowed out 10 or 12 tomatoes so you can bake eggs in the tomatoes. What now? Scoop those tomato guts into the crockpot, throw in your favorite pasta sauce and turn the crockpot on low. Add a can or tray artichoke hearts- I added 2 cups. Add some kalamata olives (I added 1/2 cup). Add extra spices. We like oregano around here, so I added 1/4 cup of dry leaves. If I'd had fresh, I would have added less, since it's stronger. All this should be "to taste"- make it the way you want. Cook the sauce all day on low- and then in the evening, serve it over anything.

Shyla 08-09-2018 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyyan (Post 4118298)
So you've hollowed out 10 or 12 tomatoes so you can bake eggs in the tomatoes. What now? Scoop those tomato guts into the crockpot, throw in your favorite pasta sauce and turn the crockpot on low. Add a can or tray artichoke hearts- I added 2 cups. Add some kalamata olives (I added 1/2 cup). Add extra spices. We like oregano around here, so I added 1/4 cup of dry leaves. If I'd had fresh, I would have added less, since it's stronger. All this should be "to taste"- make it the way you want. Cook the sauce all day on low- and then in the evening, serve it over anything.

Hai!!! this recipe is my bro favorite.. He addicted to eat this recipe but he didn't like the kalamata olives taste so while i prepare that recipe used ghee instead of kalamata olives.. It's taste was yummy...